Unbeaten Run

Carl Sagan

Results at the end of 90 minutes are what counts for me with these stats. We drew at Anfield, so we’re 16 games unbeaten. Very impressive, but it has to continue, and we have to win more games. If we want top 2, we can probably only afford 2/3 more losses, and we have to win most of the rest.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Find it laughable that one forum member have particularly singled this post out as "weird"

Obviously haven't been on this forum for very long. 

Tyler, much as it pains me to admit, you are on the verge of becoming very amusing. ? Your in the play offs but Keep it up and you’ll be in the automatics

3 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

All football statisticians count games decided by penalty kicks as drawn fixtures. 

Anyone sensible would totally agree...

which is why FIFA in their wisdom count matches decided on penalty kicks as a win/loss when computing the FIFA World Rankings. It's one reason why the official world rankings are a load of rubbish.

5 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Sorry if it's been answered elsewhere but when was the last time we went this long unbeaten? And what is our record?

We managed 20 in the Jim Smith promotion season. Off the top of my head, that's the longest within a single season:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2022/06/jim-smith-how-he-masterminded-promotion-in-his-first-season#:~:text=Derby went 20 games unbeaten,eyes were on Roker Park.

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

We managed 20 in the Jim Smith promotion season. Off the top of my head, that's the longest within a single season:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2022/06/jim-smith-how-he-masterminded-promotion-in-his-first-season#:~:text=Derby went 20 games unbeaten,eyes were on Roker Park.

We went a lot of games unbeaten in the second half of the season under Quasimodo too I think ? 

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

It’s becoming an impressive stat that we are proving hard to beat, indeed score against. I have not been a big fan of Paul Warne’s appointment but fair play he has turned the team into a solid, resilient force. I am warming to him as I am seeing more attacking intent. It also helps that I have put him on ignore. I do typically like to hear the pre-match prezzer and post-match reaction but in truth he (and Bradley) make me cringe. He is a Poundland Brent 

bbc GIF

His recent pressers have been far less cringeworthy and more substantive. Hopefully that’s the future and it just took him a while to settle in. I like him more and more 

The overall unbeaten record is 24 games under Clough & Taylor between 8th March and 20th September 1969 - 11 were in Div. Two, 11 in Div. One and 2 in the League Cup - 19 wins and five draws.

Now there was a team Rodney.

Kind regards

Uncle Albert ?

Edited by Brailsford Ram

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

As we seem to be counting cup games in this unbeaten run, we lost to Leeds in the FA Cup right in the middle of that run under Jim Smith

10 league games unbeaten, loss in the cup then another 10 league games unbeaten

Against Leeds Rowett had been sent off at 0-0 before we took a 2 - 0 lead & then conceded 4 goals

Edited by SamUltraRam

6 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Anyone sensible would totally agree...

which is why FIFA in their wisdom count matches decided on penalty kicks as a win/loss when computing the FIFA World Rankings. It's one reason why the official world rankings are a load of rubbish.

Fifa use ELO rankings now, since 2018. 

This doesn't take into account penalty outcomes, however it does extra time. 

6 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

Fifa use ELO rankings now, since 2018. 

This doesn't take into account penalty outcomes, however it does extra time. 

That's almost correct. FIFA started using a version of the ELO rankings in 2018. But unlike the ELO rankings  the FIFA rankings do take into account penalty shoot out results. 

This is one important reason why the ELO rankings are better than the official FIFA ones.

11 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

As we seem to be counting cup games in this unbeaten run, we lost to Leeds in the FA Cup right in the middle of that run under Jim Smith

10 league games unbeaten, loss in the cup then another 10 league games unbeaten

Against Leeds Rowett had been sent off at 0-0 before we took a 2 - 0 lead & then conceded 4 goals

Yup, I remember. Got in a bit of a scuffle myself in the Normo End coz I called some bloke out for shouting racist abuse at Yeboah. The steward who came to resolve it was the most massive 'person of colour' you've ever seen. Needless to say, the bloke I had been arguing with got ejected.

Happy days!!!

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

That's almost correct. FIFA started using a version of the ELO rankings in 2018. But unlike the ELO rankings  the FIFA rankings do take into account penalty shoot out results. 

This is one important reason why the ELO rankings are better than the official FIFA ones.

Yup, they don't Horace Wimp out on these things.