Jason Knight, option to extend his contract

Day

56 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I really like knight - he either signs for longer than the extension or I suspect he will absolutely be sold to raise funds this summer - we do have bills to pay even before we start considering signing players 

Quite. While we may not be obliged to sell in the same way that we have over the last couple of years, (i.e. prize assets being picked off by the vultures for peanuts just so we can keep the lights on) but we do have to sell if he won't extend or he will be end up being worth nothing and just walks away. I like him and wish we could keep hold of him but I think it's been the widely accepted belief that if we don't go up then he'll be off and that is looking increasingly likely as our form has nose-dived.

Expecting any more than low millions is just fantasy I'm afraid and might depend on multiple parties being interested to even get that. Sadly we will probably have to get what we can while he is still worth something as an asset rather than a free agent. We'll badly miss his energy in this team as it stands though.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

You know they lost B4 with only two shots on target (both of which after he was subbed).

Marriott bagged around 25 goals when we paid about TWO million up front for him.

What Marriott showed in League One in the year before he joined us was more than what Knight has.

The only difference is Knight clearly can play at a higher level and probably in the Premier League.

My worry, as one poster said earlier - in what position do you play him? He’s not a winger, he’s not a holding centre mid, his goal return isn’t enough for a number ten. It’s going to be an issue for anyone who buys him.

I said it once and say it again like to see him forward role or sitting behind front 2.

Knight is wasted in forward positions, he's a high energy box to box midfielder, that's where he will shine when given the time to establish himself.

I'm confident his confidence would grow and the goals would also come.

He's been thrown into positions all over because he can and willing to put a shift in, I'm not surprised the goals haven't been there.

The problem is though, we don't play a system that fits a traditional box to box midfielder as a result he will be that square peg in a round hole.

7 hours ago, David said:

Knight is wasted in forward positions, he's a high energy box to box midfielder, that's where he will shine when given the time to establish himself.

I'm confident his confidence would grow and the goals would also come.

He's been thrown into positions all over because he can and willing to put a shift in, I'm not surprised the goals haven't been there.

The problem is though, we don't play a system that fits a traditional box to box midfielder as a result he will be that square peg in a round hole.

100% agree, he’s not a forward  

And he will leave with my thanks and appreciation and would be applauded if we came up against him in the future. 

(however with the short memories that some Derby fans have he would mostly likely still be booed 🤷‍♂️

Let’s be realistic he will be gone in the summer. He doesn’t score enough , he’s got incredible work ethic which is sort of his downfall as he’s become a utility player rather than push on in a given position which would have been better for his development. He’s a Republic of Ireland international and out of control so putting all that together I’d say £2m max plus add ons and a sell on percentage. He hasn’t shown himself to be worth anymore he’s not a goal scoring midfielder or a 20+ goal a season striker.

in the worse case scenario we don’t go up realistically our young players value would be like this.

Cashin 3-4 m maybe 5m 

sibley £750k- £1m tops

knight £2m + 

Bird £2m +

considering our financial situation and restrictions if we were to sell all four plus each with say 10-20% sell on clauses that’s £10 m there that could go along way in league 1 

Just now, simmoram1995 said:

Let’s be realistic he will be gone in the summer. He doesn’t score enough , he’s got incredible work ethic which is sort of his downfall as he’s become a utility player rather than push on in a given position which would have been better for his development. He’s a Republic of Ireland international and out of control so putting all that together I’d say £2m max plus add ons and a sell on percentage. He hasn’t shown himself to be worth anymore he’s not a goal scoring midfielder or a 20+ goal a season striker.

in the worse case scenario we don’t go up realistically our young players value would be like this.

Cashin 3-4 m maybe 5m 

sibley £750k- £1m tops

knight £2m + 

Bird £2m +

considering our financial situation and restrictions if we were to sell all four plus each with say 10-20% sell on clauses that’s £10 m there that could go along way in league 1 

*contract 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He's got as many goals as Dobbin this season playing most of it at full back. Just saying

I think to say he’s played most of the season at full back is slightly disingenuous, of his 25 league starts he’s started 8 at full back, all under Rosenior. He has 3 goals and 3 assists in all competitions. 922 minutes per goal.

In comparison with Louie Sibley, who has started 12 of his 21 league starts at left back or left wing back (plus more in the cups), often coming on at left back too, to my memory Knight’s usually been coming on in midfield if he hasn’t started. All his starts at left back have come under Warne. He has 6 goals and 2 assists in all competitions. 444 minutes per goal.

Not saying one is better than the other, but having played a lot of minutes in the 10 since Christmas, Knight needs to be much more productive. In the one start and a half Sibley has had in that role recently he scored as many as Knight has in the whole time he’s been playing as the 10. I think we give Sibley a run of games as the 10 and you find another position for Knight, whether that be as an 8 in a switch of formation, on the wing, or worst case scenario at right back.

1 minute ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

I think to say he’s played most of the season at full back is slightly disingenuous, of his 25 league starts he’s started 8 at full back, all under Rosenior. He has 3 goals and 3 assists in all competitions. 922 minutes per goal.

In comparison with Louie Sibley, who has started 12 of his 21 league starts at left back or left wing back (plus more in the cups), often coming on at left back too, to my memory Knight’s usually been coming on in midfield if he hasn’t started. All his starts at left back have come under Warne. He has 6 goals and 2 assists in all competitions. 444 minutes per goal.

Not saying one is better than the other, but having played a lot of minutes in the 10 since Christmas, Knight needs to be much more productive. In the one start and a half Sibley has had in that role recently he scored as many as Knight has in the whole time he’s been playing as the 10. I think we give Sibley a run of games as the 10 and you find another position for Knight, whether that be as an 8 in a switch of formation, on the wing, or worst case scenario at right back.

I quite liked Knight at RB.

He linked well with NML and between them they managed to get a steady supply of crosses in.

Smith’s experience in midfield might help Bird.

1 hour ago, simmoram1995 said:

Cashin 3-4 m maybe 5m 

sibley £750k- £1m tops

knight £2m + 

Bird £2m +

If he goes in the summer , will we be struggling to get compensation ? Agree with most of your comments but I would be suprised if we got £2 mill for Bird - 3 goals in 130 games is pathetic for any position on the pitch. He is 23 in September , not a kid any more. His assists don’t make much better reading. 

44 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

If he goes in the summer , will we be struggling to get compensation ? Agree with most of your comments but I would be suprised if we got £2 mill for Bird - 3 goals in 130 games is pathetic for any position on the pitch. He is 23 in September , not a kid any more. His assists don’t make much better reading. 

Where as Harry Winks playing for Spurs 2 goals in 128 games, has also played for England.

Declan Rice doesn't make much better reading, 8 in 193 for West Ham.

If you can get goals from DM great, that's not what they are there for though.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He's got as many goals as Dobbin this season playing most of it at full back. Just saying

Dobbin has 5 goals and 6 assists in 2428 minutes this season.
Knight has 3 goals and 3 assists in 2764 minutes this season.

1 hour ago, simmoram1995 said:

Cashin 3-4 m maybe 5m 

sibley £750k- £1m tops

knight £2m + 

Bird £2m +

Three things:
1. There's a contract extension clause, so won't be out of contract in the summer. Even if he was, as long as we offer him a contract (which we would) we'd be entitled to compensation. Appearances for the club and international level will be a factor, and I'm willing to be we would get more than £2m for him in that scenario.
2.Considering out financial situation, we could sell him for £100m but cannot spend a penny of it due to the EFL's backwards rules.
3. How well is that 20+ goal scoring midfielder doing in the Championship? 1 goal in 9 games isn't great, especially in a side running away with the league title. Knight averaged a goal every 300 minutes in his debut campaign in a midtable side.

43 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

No, we would be guaranteed compensation, and a pretty sizeable amount.
Bird has 4 goals and 9 assists in 153 first team games. The vast majority of which have been in sides struggling for goals, and playing in a role which was to sit in front of the back 4 up until Warne took over.

Jason Knight is a very good player, with an excellent engine and above average technical ability. He has the ability to go very far in the game, but I feel that his skillset is more beneficial for a team punching upwards than a possession-heavy side. 

If you play Jason Knight 30 times in CAM and you play Louis Sibley 30 times in CAM - it's undeniable that Sibs is going to get more goals and assists. He will produce the bigger moments. Knight will give you an unbelievable front press and won't give defenders a minute - honestly he plays his best football when he hasn't got the ball.

If we get promoted then it would be good to keep Knight because we are going to be punching up in the Championship, we're going to need his grit. If we're a League One side again, I think we could afford to sell him and wish him all the best. I know we can't sign players, but if his sales gives us the freedom to sign someone decent on a free then everyone walks away better for it. 

It would be interesting to see where Knight would land should we sell. If Sheffield Wednesday and/or Ipswich get promoted then I could see them coming in for him. West Brom, Middlesbrough, perhaps. If Luton or Millwall end up getting promoted into the Premier League, I'd guess they could also come in for him. 

Edited by Ambitious

2 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Cashin 3-4 m maybe 5m 

sibley £750k- £1m tops

knight £2m + 

Bird £2m +

... and, unless some of the restrictions get eased/lifted in the summer, we won't be able to spend a penny of it on transfer, loan or agent's fees. Won't help with wages either as there's a wages cap in place as well as a spending limit. Any and all incoming fees will be parked until the summer of 2024 when we can, once more, pay fees. Add to that any profit from this and next season and that is the size of PW transfer budget. The club will, from now on, pay its way.

This season hasn't been great for the valuation of the likes of Knight, Sibley and maybe even Bird. 

It wasn't that long ago people here were claiming Knight would fit in a mid-table Prem team. But I'm not sure any of them have exactly set League One alight. 

At the age they are (not teenagers any more) they'd have to be pretty special at this level to go for big money.