Jason Knight, option to extend his contract

David

8 hours ago, Yani P said:

I think he would re-sign if he has bought into a project.

I have no idea what he's on at the moment, but you would think that he's looking for beyond £20k a week out of his next contract. We can offer a maximum of £12k, assuming that he may already be exceeding that as it is. Unless we can offer him what another team would pay then he would at least have a decision to make, but it's doubtful we will be in a position to do that. 

You have to assume that a team like Norwich, West Brom with a little bit of parachute money left will be an ideal landing spot OR a side like Luton, Milllwall who could win promotion but won't have the access to funds to suddenly throw £100-150m at it. They could pick him up on the cheap, relatively, pay him a healthy wage and he will get the chance to fight for a place in the Premier League. 

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I have no idea what he's on at the moment, but you would think that he's looking for beyond £20k a week out of his next contract. We can offer a maximum of £12k, assuming that he may already be exceeding that as it is. Unless we can offer him what another team would pay then he would at least have a decision to make, but it's doubtful we will be in a position to do that. 

You have to assume that a team like Norwich, West Brom with a little bit of parachute money left will be an ideal landing spot OR a side like Luton, Milllwall who could win promotion but won't have the access to funds to suddenly throw £100-150m at it. They could pick him up on the cheap, relatively, pay him a healthy wage and he will get the chance to fight for a place in the Premier League. 

I believe they've borrowed two loans against the stadium and training ground from MSD.  If they don't get promoted they're buggered.  Same as Sheff Utd.  Sanctioned for missing transfer payments and turning off the undersoil heating etc to avoid admin and hoping they go up.  Bar that 20 millon they blew on Brewser, I can't see what money they really spent.  Terrible if Forest go down having spaffed their entire 4 years of promotion and parachute in 6 months of horrific buying. 

22 hours ago, David said:

Where as Harry Winks playing for Spurs 2 goals in 128 games, has also played for England.

Declan Rice doesn't make much better reading, 8 in 193 for West Ham.

If you can get goals from DM great, that's not what they are there for though.

Didn’t say Bird was there to score goals. He is there to tackle and is allowed to pass the ball forward. He can’t drop down the leagues much more to start making an impression. Saturday is supposed to be against a side that play football . Let’s see how Max does . Still want Knight to stay.

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

Dobbin missed 20 !! 

Knight has missed chances too. The post I replied to said Knight has scored as many as Dobbin. He hasn’t. As others have also pointed out.

This is a thread about Knight’s contract situation and yet people still feel the need to have tiresome digs at other players. It doesn’t always have to be an attack on other players you know? People can just talk about Knight’s strengths and attributes without bringing Dobbin or Bielik into it.
Knight is a talented young footballer who we’d all love to stay at the club for life, the reality is he probably won’t. If he doesn’t extend his contract with us the logical thing to do would be to sell him this summer for as much as we can get so he doesn’t walk away for free in 2024. No matter any of our personal opinions if people want to draw comparisons to certain other young players, Dobbin would probably fetch more of a fee as an attacking player from a premier league club’s academy, who has a longer contract than Knight who is a full international, currently playing in league one with a contract due to expire in just over a year purely because the market dictates the price of a player. And that’s regardlesss of what any of us think of the individual’s talent. You just have to look at the history of those types of transfers to see how it plays out sadly.
My personal opinion is Knight would be worth plenty if we had him tied down on a longer deal and will go on to have a good career, the reality of our situation means we’ll probably get something between £2-5 million. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Knight has missed chances too. The post I replied to said Knight has scored as many as Dobbin. He hasn’t. As others have also pointed out.

This is a thread about Knight’s contract situation and yet people still feel the need to have tiresome digs at other players. It doesn’t always have to be an attack on other players you know? People can just talk about Knight’s strengths and attributes without bringing Dobbin or Bielik into it.
Knight is a talented young footballer who we’d all love to stay at the club for life, the reality is he probably won’t. If he doesn’t extend his contract with us the logical thing to do would be to sell him this summer for as much as we can get so he doesn’t walk away for free in 2024. No matter any of our personal opinions if people want to draw comparisons to certain other young players, Dobbin would probably fetch more of a fee as an attacking player from a premier league club’s academy, who has a longer contract than Knight who is a full international, currently playing in league one with a contract due to expire in just over a year purely because the market dictates the price of a player. And that’s regardlesss of what any of us think of the individual’s talent. You just have to look at the history of those types of transfers to see how it plays out sadly.
My personal opinion is Knight would be worth plenty if we had him tied down on a longer deal and will go on to have a good career, the reality of our situation means we’ll probably get something between £2-5 million. 

Agree with you on all this but he wouldn't walk away free at the end of his contract as we would be due some compensation (I think). The bottom end of your valuation is the most likely if we do sell him this summer based on his performances this season. I don't feel like he's quite got going after starting the season out of position.

Good player though, does a lot of stuff that will go unnoticed. I'd like to keep him regardless of what league we are in but have to accept he'll want to play a higher level if we stay in League 1.

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Dobbin has got a higher ceiling than Knight.  Dobbin could be a premier league quality player. 

Edited by Blondest Goat

53 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Not according to some of our fans 😉 

But yeah, I agree, as could Knight. 

I don't think Knight could.   I mean he could go up with a team promoted to the Prem but I don't think he could hold down a regular place in a team that finished above the relegation places in the Prem. 

Look at Will Hughes.  Class above Knight in my opinion and hardly set the world on fire at Watford or Palace.

Offer him a new 3 year contract on top of the 1 year option. That will up any transfer fee we might get. Agree that, if we're not in the promotion race (going on the premise that we won't be going up this season) come Christmas, he can go for an agreed fee. Further, if we don't go up next season, he can go for that same fee. 

That guarantees Knight Championship or better football in the 24/25 season.

3 hours ago, OUTSIDER said:

"...Anyone who criticised Knight’s performance should re-evaluate their football knowledge. L’Equipe’s player ratings guy, who gave Knight a 3 out of 10, has no clue.

Knight was a revelation. I know how much sacrifice goes into keeping Ireland’s narrow 5-4-1 shape intact. Chiedozie Ogbene, rightly, received the plaudits down the right but Knight, off the ball, stayed connected to Cullen while keeping tabs on Antoine Griezmann, stymieing numerous France attacks.

Knight plays for Derby County in the third tier of English football. That makes no sense at all. He was exceptional, completely uninhibited by the presence of Bayern Munich’s Benjamin Pavard or France’s other 10 Champions League regulars..."

On 31/03/2023 at 15:37, MadAmster said:

Offer him a new 3 year contract on top of the 1 year option. That will up any transfer fee we might get. Agree that, if we're not in the promotion race (going on the premise that we won't be going up this season) come Christmas, he can go for an agreed fee. Further, if we don't go up next season, he can go for that same fee. 

That guarantees Knight Championship or better football in the 24/25 season.

Knight’s agent will be telling him that if he runs his contract down he will get a massive jump in wages by being a free agent just like Captain Tom and all the others.His only problem is surviving on £10k a week till then.