Jason Knight, option to extend his contract

Day

• 2 months later...
On 25/01/2023 at 19:04, Rich3478 said:

The potential transfer fees we’ve lost in the last year or so due to restrictions is frustrating. Could’ve paid good chunks of debt back.

festy, ebosele, lawrence all left more or less for free. Could have given all three one year deals and got at least £1m each. That is very conservative too.

Buchanan and Byrne as well, got minimal fees from both of them. 

now knight going into his last year and maybe issues around activating his contract. Think £4m for knight a minimum if has at least a year on his contract.

bird, cashin, sibley all out of contract at end of next season too.

Jason put himself in the shop window last night against a strong French team. Unlucky not to get a draw. Us Rams fans were talking about a £10 mill fee for him a couple of years ago. Knight is very quiet on his future. Hope it won’t turn into another Buchannon debacle.

35 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Jason put himself in the shop window last night against a strong French team. Unlucky not to get a draw. Us Rams fans were talking about a £10 mill fee for him a couple of years ago. Knight is very quiet on his future. Hope it won’t turn into another Buchannon debacle.

I expect Jason has more thought to the effect of that on those around him - well I hope so

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Was it January that Warne mentioned the club would trigger the extension in his contract, so he is in theory contracted until the summer of 2024…but there’s been no official confirmation has there?

On that same note there’s been no real  noise about anyone’s future. If his contract is until 2024 I wouldn’t expect Knight to be talking about it now anymore than the rest of them, it seems there’s a quiet focus on the end of the season and then we’ll probably hear about who is and isn’t staying once we know which league we’re in.
Similar to the transfer announcements since the takeover, I think the days of leaks and rumour from within the club are done and it’ll be an announcement if and when decisions are made. 

Hopefully we have tied him up for another year but I can't see that he will want to stay if (as seems likely) we continue drift out of promotion contention. If that's the case then we just have to do what we can to get a fair fee. We may not be in massive steaming pile of financial do-do's these days but we are not going to be able to turn down any half-decent offer due to his contract situation. We absolutely cannot allow him to just walk away for nowt. I'd really really like him to stay but we need to get something in the bank for developing him as a player, even if we are not allowed to spend it yet.

"...Knight has now returned to Derby for their clash against Ipswich Town this weekend and here's how the national media viewed his performance last night.

Extra.ie: "It is quite the jump from League One to facing Real Madrid superstar Camavinga. Needed to keep his wits about him given the lurking presence of Pavard. 6

Irish Mirror: Boundless energy but was caught off guard with Cullen’s pass for the goal. 6

SportsJoeIE: Knight played on the left side of a forward three and he started the game brightly, helping to start the Ireland press. It could be argued that the Derby County midfielder would be better used in central midfield, where Ireland were outnumbered, and he also arguably lacks the pace to play wide left in a forward three. 6

Balls.ie: Knight was tasked with doing much of the hard running in the middle third, pressing relentlessly when France were on the ball. He also looked to provide a threat in forward areas and launched quite a few Irish attacks. He offers a lot to the side. 7

L'Equipe: Ireland: Bazunu (5), Coleman (6), Collins (4), Egan (6), O'Shea (5) Cullen (4), Molumby (5), Knight (3) Doherty (4) Ogbene (6), Ferguson (3).

90mins: Helped Ireland clog up midfield but both of his shots on goal were blocked. 5 ..."

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"...Knight has now returned to Derby for their clash against Ipswich Town this weekend and here's how the national media viewed his performance last night.

Extra.ie: "It is quite the jump from League One to facing Real Madrid superstar Camavinga. Needed to keep his wits about him given the lurking presence of Pavard. 6

Irish Mirror: Boundless energy but was caught off guard with Cullen’s pass for the goal. 6

SportsJoeIE: Knight played on the left side of a forward three and he started the game brightly, helping to start the Ireland press. It could be argued that the Derby County midfielder would be better used in central midfield, where Ireland were outnumbered, and he also arguably lacks the pace to play wide left in a forward three. 6

Balls.ie: Knight was tasked with doing much of the hard running in the middle third, pressing relentlessly when France were on the ball. He also looked to provide a threat in forward areas and launched quite a few Irish attacks. He offers a lot to the side. 7

L'Equipe: Ireland: Bazunu (5), Coleman (6), Collins (4), Egan (6), O'Shea (5) Cullen (4), Molumby (5), Knight (3) Doherty (4) Ogbene (6), Ferguson (3).

90mins: Helped Ireland clog up midfield but both of his shots on goal were blocked. 5 ..."

Got to love the French ratings. Imagine if they rated our players' performances over the last few weeks 😂.

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think we can probably rule out a shock move to PSG in summer 😂

I’d snap your hand off for £5m for Knight. Works hard but ultimately doesn’t affect games enough for me. Not enough assists, goals or even shots to play as a forward. In midfield he struggles in a two as goes chasing the ball. 

Looks best as a third central midfielder, which is almost a 10. But again you’d want more goals and assists for that. Thought he’d look better in league one than he has.

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If his contract is until 2024 I wouldn’t expect Knight to be talking about it now anymore than the rest of them

I think he’s made it clear that if we don’t get promoted, he’s off. Exactly as you’d expect.

He may not talk much about his future, professional as he is.  But he’s in a different class to all of our other youngsters (Cashin aside arguably) so he has very different options to the rest of the squad 

37 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

I’d snap your hand off for £5m for Knight. Works hard but ultimately doesn’t affect games enough for me. Not enough assists, goals or even shots to play as a forward. In midfield he struggles in a two as goes chasing the ball. 

Looks best as a third central midfielder, which is almost a 10. But again you’d want more goals and assists for that. Thought he’d look better in league one than he has.

He worth way more than that

58 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think he’s made it clear that if we don’t get promoted, he’s off. Exactly as you’d expect.

He may not talk much about his future, professional as he is.  But he’s in a different class to all of our other youngsters (Cashin aside arguably) so he has very different options to the rest of the squad 

Yep, he’s a saleable asset for sure. I don’t expect he’ll be around for long either, hopefully the days of us having to let our best assets leave for very little are done and we can get a decent ish fee for him.
I think anyone expecting multiple millions when the lad will only have a year to run on his deal may be disappointed, looking at it realistically if we get £2-4m for him it’ll be way better than some of the daylight robbery we’ve endured due to Morris’ legacy but nothing near what we could have had for him in “normal circumstances”. 

He's indicated he's happy here and it seems the manager is set on him being here.  The reality is if were offered 3mill we may well take it as he'll certainly be off the year after.  We won't be able to spend any of it.  But FFP wise, after a year of admin and 2 yrs of a business plan it will help going forward greatly if we're in this league.

Shame we'll be selling him to cover the final instalment and wage balance of some bloke holidaying in Birmingham who'd rather eat glass than do his job here.  Never mind

If I am Jason Knight, not David the Derby fan, I’m not signing a new contract with Derby unless we go up this season.

Year left on my deal, the club won’t want to lose me for nothing so will accept a reasonable offer which would be under £5m given the League and contract situation.

It’s a short career, will be plenty of takers out there and a better contract than Derby can offer in the current situation and playing at a higher level.

Would be incredible to see him sign a new contract without promotion, I just don’t see it happening though, no guarantee we’ll go up next season either.

Ok he says he loves it here and playing under Warne, these are standard lines you would expect to hear out of any player at your club so I don’t read too much into them. Heard it so many times before it doesn’t mean much.

28 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Who says

He just taken France on and ran the show on his own.

If peterboro got us pay 5m for marriot at the time he is worth double that.

You know they lost B4 with only two shots on target (both of which after he was subbed).

Marriott bagged around 25 goals when we paid about TWO million up front for him.

What Marriott showed in League One in the year before he joined us was more than what Knight has.

The only difference is Knight clearly can play at a higher level and probably in the Premier League.

My worry, as one poster said earlier - in what position do you play him? He’s not a winger, he’s not a holding centre mid, his goal return isn’t enough for a number ten. It’s going to be an issue for anyone who buys him.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Who says

He just taken France on and ran the show on his own.

If peterboro got us pay 5m for marriot at the time he is worth double that.

Scott Twine scored 20 goals for MK Dons last year and went for £2.9M to Burnley last summer. £5M is probably a decent deal.