Jason Knight, option to extend his contract

Day

34 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

How so given he is already on the payroll? Unless:

1) The extension includes a pay rise big enough to tip us over (seems unlikely to me)

2) The business plan, and other player signings, was agreed on the assumption his contract wouldn’t be extended (also seems unlikely)

*If* there is an issue like this, I suspect it's that his current wage is already over the individual player limit (£5k/week springs to mind, but I could be wrong), and was basically "grandfathered in" to the business plan.  So if the EFL class the extension as a new contract, rather than part of his existing contract, we wouldn't be allowed to just trigger it without EFL approval at least.

The other (much more happy) possibility is that we just don't need to trigger it yet.  If it's entirely in our hands, then there's no incentive to do it until we need to.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

*If* there is an issue like this, I suspect it's that his current wage is already over the individual player limit (£5k/week springs to mind, but I could be wrong), and was basically "grandfathered in" to the business plan.  So if the EFL class the extension as a new contract, rather than part of his existing contract, we wouldn't be allowed to just trigger it without EFL approval at least.

The other (much more happy) possibility is that we just don't need to trigger it yet.  If it's entirely in our hands, then there's no incentive to do it until we need to.

I may have this completely wrong but I thought the reason league 1 and league 2 have a maximum total salary linked to turnover rather than a salary cap for individual players was because individual salary caps were deemed unlawful. 

I guess our business plan could include a maximum salary per player but this seems unlikely to me.

53 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I may have this completely wrong but I thought the reason league 1 and league 2 have a maximum total salary linked to turnover rather than a salary cap for individual players was because individual salary caps were deemed unlawful. 

I guess our business plan could include a maximum salary per player but this seems unlikely to me.

The per-player limit is part of the agreed business plan, not the overall League 1 rules.  There's a bunch of discussion about it in here:

We don't know for sure what the actual limit is (if there really is one), but suggestions seem to vary between £5k and £12k/week.

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The per-player limit is part of the agreed business plan, not the overall League 1 rules.  There's a bunch of discussion about it in here:

We don't know for sure what the actual limit is (if there really is one), but suggestions seem to vary between £5k and £12k/week.

As we know from Buchannon , Festy etc  - The player will do what is best in His interests.

44 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The £5K was the limit when we were in Administration, which bore no relation to the club's income. Now we're working to an agreed Business Plan it will be higher. When  you consider we were allowed to sign Hourihane, you'd have to think that it's more likely to be in the £10-12k bracket.

19 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

As we know from Buchannon , Festy etc  - The player will do what is best in His interests.

Buchanan and Byrne only got away with their moves because we were in administration at the time and argued out of it on legal technicalities. That's not an issue in this case. 

I also think that Knight is simply a better man than that.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

I am pretty certain that jasion knight will sign that that contract exertion.

He has no choice on the option, most likely no signing required - just informed the club are taking it up. It'll be the next contract that he might not be so keen about, especially if we're still in League One. With all our young stars out of contract summer 24, to keep them all happy to stay we really need promotion this season.

32 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think we will gain promation hopeful as champions.

Since I get accused of blasphemy, I'll say it very nicely - unless a miracle happens, automatic promotion isn't on.

Looking at a points per game basis, Plymouth are on for 103 points, Sheffield Wednesday 96 points and Ipswich 92 points. We're on for 79. The average points over the last ten seasons to be champions is 95 points, for 2nd it's 89 points. We're currently on 41 points so need 48-54 points just to hit the average. That's 16-18 wins from 22 games. For the forecasted performance, it's even more unlikely at 19-21 wins from 22 games.

To stand any slim chance of being champions we need to perform at minimum at 2.48 points per game, for 2nd we need at minimum 2.21 points per game, even for 3rd it's 2.03 points per game. This is just to match the ten year average, not this seasons current forecast which is substantially higher.

Overall - under Warne we're currently running at 1.88 points per game. We need to significantly up performance just to reach the ten year average let alone what's realistically needed this season.

10 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Since I get accused of blasphemy, I'll say it very nicely - unless a miracle happens, automatic promotion isn't on.

Looking at a points per game basis, Plymouth are on for 103 points, Sheffield Wednesday 96 points and Ipswich 92 points. We're on for 79. The average points over the last ten seasons to be champions is 95 points, for 2nd it's 89 points. We're currently on 41 points so need 48-54 points just to hit the average. That's 16-18 wins from 22 games. For the forecasted performance, it's even more unlikely at 19-21 wins from 22 games.

To stand any slim chance of being champions we need to perform at minimum at 2.48 points per game, for 2nd we need at minimum 2.21 points per game, even for 3rd it's 2.03 points per game. This is just to match the ten year average, not this seasons current forecast which is substantially higher.

Overall - under Warne we're currently running at 1.88 points per game. We need to significantly up performance just to reach the ten year average let alone what's realistically needed this season.

Pete Docter Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

On 04/01/2023 at 16:48, Ram@Lincoln said:

I love B4’s enthusiasm and your realism. 
We just need a steady progress as we have been doing, so we stay in the play off positions and hopefully are the form team when they come around. 

On 04/01/2023 at 16:48, Ram@Lincoln said:

Stop being negative each of those teams can have slump at any time and with Plymouth losing morgan Whittier major peace gone.