Accrington Stanley (H) Mon 2nd Jan, 3pm KO

Osula needs to be given a few games I reckon. He has bundles of scope and could finish this season really strongly. Much as I love Jimmy Collins' heart, fight and work rate, he seems to have lost his lucky boots and until he finds him, the pace and eye for goal Osula has shown warrants a few starts IMO. Feels disloyal to a player who gives it everything, but pragmatism trumps sentimentality at this point.

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Osula needs to be given a few games I reckon. He has bundles of scope and could finish this season really strongly. Much as I love Jimmy Collins' heart, fight and work rate, he seems to have lost his lucky boots and until he finds him, the pace and eye for goal Osula has shown warrants a few starts IMO. Feels disloyal to a player who gives it everything, but pragmatism trumps sentimentality at this point.

It’s an interesting dilemma isn’t it? Warne likes Collins, we know that, but as the team isn’t scoring consistently maybe it is time to change it up. Osula, Dobbin and NML all playing off the guile and finesse of McGoldrick is potentially the way to go. Whatever Warne decides to do I’d like to see him make better use of the Collins/Osula option. Start Collins and have him work the defenders with his no-nonsense aggressive style then bring on Osula with more time left than he has recently so his pace and movement can exploit tired defenders OR start Osula to run the defence around, play off the shoulder etc then if that’s not working bring Collins on to “kick the door in” for the final 20-30 mins. 

17 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Alas Warne will have Sibley left back, Hourihane midfield and probably put Collins in instead of McGoldrick.

Based on what we’ve seen so far he’ll do the first two. And to Sibley’s great credit he has shown an impressive ability to adapt. 

But I’d guess McGoldrick starts unless he and Warne both think he needs a rest. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s an interesting dilemma isn’t it? Warne likes Collins, we know that, but as the team isn’t scoring consistently maybe it is time to change it up. Osula, Dobbin and NML all playing off the guile and finesse of McGoldrick is potentially the way to go. Whatever Warne decides to do I’d like to see him make better use of the Collins/Osula option. Start Collins and have him work the defenders with his no-nonsense aggressive style then bring on Osula with more time left than he has recently so his pace and movement can exploit tired defenders OR start Osula to run the defence around, play off the shoulder etc then if that’s not working bring Collins on to “kick the door in” for the final 20-30 mins. 

Nailed it ?

7 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I think this Sibley left back experiment has to stop. It just isn't his game and it's blatantly obvious. Get him up the pitch in his natural position where he can do some real damage

Agree. Against the likes of Accrington I would put Sibley in for Bird. Sibley rates much higher for goals and assists . His dead ball delivery is excellent and he can tackle.

Wildsmith

Smith   Fozzy   Cashin   Sibley

Knight    Bird

Barkuizen  McGoldrick  Dobbin

Osula

a bit of rest and rotation for me, play Osula as he’ll have good feelings from the away game against them. Collins looked a bit off it the other day and needs a rest, NML the same although he did set up the goal against Cambridge but wasn’t that great otherwise compared to his usual standards. Give Hourihane a rest and bring him on for McGoldrick on 60mins in the number 10 position?

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Osula has only scored two in the League although both against accie to be fair. How can you say he has an "eye for goal"?   

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Osula has only scored two in the League although both against accie to be fair. How can you say he has an "eye for goal"?   

I'm saying he looks to score or assist. He drives forward every time he gets the ball Pete. I'm not saying he's prolific and what's his goal to minutes played ratio anyway, as opposed to his total which is a pointless stat to throw about! Also, how many has Colins scored starting almost every game????

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Agree. Against the likes of Accrington I would put Sibley in for Bird. Sibley rates much higher for goals and assists . His dead ball delivery is excellent and he can tackle.

I know where you are coming from, but Bird actually has better stats on tackles, interceptions and clearances than Sibley. I'd play Sibbo as an AM in a heartbeat, but not in Bird's role. 

40 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Selling fast this morning, only 1,392 tickets left.

Similar crowd to Friday then, when although sold out, there were quite a few empty seats in our block in the east stand. Probably quite a few people on holiday or gone to see relatives.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'm saying he looks to score or assist. He drives forward every time he gets the ball Pete. I'm not saying he's prolific and what's his goal to minutes played ratio anyway, as opposed to his total which is a pointless stat to throw about! Also, how many has Colins scored starting almost every game????

Collins needs to score more for sure. He’s had plenty of chances to score. But I haven’t seen Osula even threaten to score that often. I hope he and Dobbin can improve their goal threat in the second half of season .. they are young and hopefully learning.