God, I hate football!

Loughborough Ram

Sometimes, there are things in the game that really p*ss me off about football. Here are just a few to kick this off but feel free to add to it.

Referees have decided that tactical fouls aren't automatically a booking.

Players have reinvented socks, making holes absolutely essential.

There is no such thing as a foul throw anymore.

Nicknames on the backs of shirts.

Nobody is ever given a penalty for wrestling at corners.

Half time takes over 20 minutes.

Offside is only given when the ball gets close to the goal, never on the halfway line where the offside actually occurred.

45 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Don't see a problem with this at all. The foul throw rule is just pedantic most of the time. What's the actual problem if a player doesn't extend the ball all the way over his head before throwing it?

What’s the problem with not just doing it properly then? ?

Right. I'm going to have a go at answering some of these!

14 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Sometimes, there are things in the game that really p*ss me off about football. Here are just a few to kick this off but feel free to add to it.

Referees have decided that tactical fouls aren't automatically a booking.

Players have reinvented socks, making holes absolutely essential.

There is no such thing as a foul throw anymore.

Nicknames on the backs of shirts.

Nobody is ever given a penalty for wrestling at corners.

Half time takes over 20 minutes.

Offside is only given when the ball gets close to the goal, never on the halfway line where the offside actually occurred.

Referees follow the updated rules each season and it takes a while for any minor changes to become commonplace and understood. The lower down the pyramid you go, the worse the standard of officiating gets. Our refs this season have been all kinds of rubbish, but I don't think refs are making up their own rules about tactical fouls.

Holes in socks. Does this really p*ss you off? There are actual good reasons for players to adapt their kit to aid performance or help reduce fatigue and/or injury. Almost all players will have their own grip socks taped under the main club sock. The only reason to keep the team sock is for the colours.

There are still foul throws and I think there was even one caught in the world cup final (or semi-final) and the other team got awarded the throw-in after.

Should we just go back down to no names on the back of shirts? Nothing wrong with players being able to choose if they like. They are their own brand these days. Brazilian players have been known by their nicknames for decades. Imagine making a chant for Edson Arantes do Nascimento!

Penalties are given for fouls at corners, but often the attacking team are also guilty so it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Again, refereeing further down the pyramid isn't as good as the elite levels.

With the speed of service at away end bars, I'm quite thankful for longer half time breaks tbh.

Your offside remark is also a bit wrong. I've seen numerous times this season offside decisions well up the pitch. Doesn't really matter though when it usually results in a quick free kick taken to keep possession around midfield/defence.

14 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Pink boots

Carefully choreographed but naff goal celebration routines

Alice bands

Time added on to time added on

Garibaldi red shirts

What's wrong with pink boots? You'll love the next adidas release in January ? There are tons of colour choices available and some more garish than others. Let players express themselves.

I do agree with the goal celebration thing. The brazil ones in the world cup were pretty cringe. Especially when the manager got involved.

Alice bands. Keep the hair out of the players face. Not everyone walks around with a short back and sides these days.

Would rather have time added on to time added on especially if some terrible time wasting has been occurring. You should be able to see the match out without taking forever to get the ball back in play.

Agree on the red shirts...

6 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Corruption
FIFA, UEFA, FA's, EFL etc.
Money laundering
Sportswashing
Human trafficking
Some fans behaviour
VAR
Players and owners lack of class and sportmanship
And soooo much more.

Yeah, I'm done with "professional" football.

Agree with all your points, but that's not all of professional football. Thankfully.

6 hours ago, InstaRam said:

Getting a corner in the 85th minute with a one goal lead and taking it short to waste time defending the corner. Absolutley zero entertainment value and show a lack of confidence. Love it when the team doing that concede in the end though!   

Just a bit of gamesmanship. Better than overplaying and losing on the break. Could've helped us in the past if we'd been better at ball retention and getting it to the corners.

5 hours ago, TimRam said:

The same teams in the Premiership always winning ('big' six). Are their fans bored yet? Glad Newcastle are bucking the trend.

Newcastle? Oh yeah, they're so plucky with their Saudi oil money... Big six is becoming more of a myth. One or two of them seem to be having an off season every season, allowing other entries into the top rungs. While the premier league is dominated by money, it will be hard for any other team to get involved. Arsenal are doing great this year and are possibly the lowest net spenders of the "big six"

4 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Using towels at throw ins

Deliberate time wasting at goal kicks and throw ins.

Yes to both of these, but it doesn't make me hate football

4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Commentators saying ‘he’s won a free kick’ or ‘he’s won the penalty’.  

What do you want them to say? It's quicker and easier to understand than the defending team "conceding a free kick"

All in all, I think some of you are getting annoyed by some of the smaller details too much. The game is evolving over time and not all change is bad. To say you hate football because of some of these things is a bit of an over reaction methinks. There's still plenty of great things in the beautiful game.

Even football at its worse is better than most sports to watch live.. Golf (stand at one hole, see something every 5-10 minutes) Tennis (look left, then right then repeat) Snooker and cricket (too long, with periods of little happening), Rugby (rules to technical to be able to follow from the stands.. makes VAR look like child’s play)

Whatever you call it, simulation, diving, pretending, codding on (as Bob Stokoe allegedly accused Brian Clough of after shredding his cruciate) or just fooling the ref. But the game at the highest level now is just so stop start - you hardly get more than couple of minutes of actual football before someone is falling over and claiming they've been broken beyond repair. 

To the above, players feigning injury and refs then falling for it before the poor blossom is up and running the length of the field thirty seconds later (a la Suarez or Immobile).

But, more than any of these, or (with respect) anything else listed in this thread the one thing that has single handedly destroyed the modern game. The split team scarf. I think I'm a reasonable person and I do feel I am able to accomodate other people's opinions and beliefs but this one is just plain wrong, wrong, wrong.

7 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Whatever you call it, simulation, diving, pretending, codding on (as Bob Stokoe allegedly accused Brian Clough of after shredding his cruciate) or just fooling the ref. But the game at the highest level now is just so stop start - you hardly get more than couple of minutes of actual football before someone is falling over and claiming they've been broken beyond repair. 

To the above, players feigning injury and refs then falling for it before the poor blossom is up and running the length of the field thirty seconds later (a la Suarez or Immobile).

But, more than any of these, or (with respect) anything else listed in this thread the one thing that has single handedly destroyed the modern game. The split team scarf. I think I'm a reasonable person and I do feel I am able to accomodate other people's opinions and beliefs but this one is just plain wrong, wrong, wrong.

Millwall player going down off the pitch then rolling back on just to waste time in 2014!

Closest I’ve been to invading the pitch and giving his knee a stamp ?

4 hours ago, roboto said:

Referees follow the updated rules each season and it takes a while for any minor changes to become commonplace and understood. The lower down the pyramid you go, the worse the standard of officiating gets. Our refs this season have been all kinds of rubbish, but I don't think refs are making up their own rules about tactical fouls.

Holes in socks. Does this really p*ss you off? There are actual good reasons for players to adapt their kit to aid performance or help reduce fatigue and/or injury. Almost all players will have their own grip socks taped under the main club sock. The only reason to keep the team sock is for the colours.

There are still foul throws and I think there was even one caught in the world cup final (or semi-final) and the other team got awarded the throw-in after.

Should we just go back down to no names on the back of shirts? Nothing wrong with players being able to choose if they like. They are their own brand these days. Brazilian players have been known by their nicknames for decades. Imagine making a chant for Edson Arantes do Nascimento!

Penalties are given for fouls at corners, but often the attacking team are also guilty so it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Again, refereeing further down the pyramid isn't as good as the elite levels.

With the speed of service at away end bars, I'm quite thankful for longer half time breaks tbh.

Your offside remark is also a bit wrong. I've seen numerous times this season offside decisions well up the pitch. Doesn't really matter though when it usually results in a quick free kick taken to keep possession around midfield/defence.

What's wrong with pink boots? You'll love the next adidas release in January ? There are tons of colour choices available and some more garish than others. Let players express themselves.

I do agree with the goal celebration thing. The brazil ones in the world cup were pretty cringe. Especially when the manager got involved.

Alice bands. Keep the hair out of the players face. Not everyone walks around with a short back and sides these days.

Would rather have time added on to time added on especially if some terrible time wasting has been occurring. You should be able to see the match out without taking forever to get the ball back in play.

Agree with all your points, but that's not all of professional football. Thankfully.

Just a bit of gamesmanship. Better than overplaying and losing on the break. Could've helped us in the past if we'd been better at ball retention and getting it to the corners.

Newcastle? Oh yeah, they're so plucky with their Saudi oil money... Big six is becoming more of a myth. One or two of them seem to be having an off season every season, allowing other entries into the top rungs. While the premier league is dominated by money, it will be hard for any other team to get involved. Arsenal are doing great this year and are possibly the lowest net spenders of the "big six"

What do you want them to say? It's quicker and easier to understand than the defending team "conceding a free kick"

All in all, I think some of you are getting annoyed by some of the smaller details too much. The game is evolving over time and not all change is bad. To say you hate football because of some of these things is a bit of an over reaction methinks. There's still plenty of great things in the beautiful game.

Crikey, have you got a lot of time on your hands or what? 
The thread isn’t about what’s great in the game though is it? What did you want, people to say ‘I’m not going to moan, I’ll ignore your thread’? 

4 hours ago, roboto said:

Had some time away from the wife and kids after Christmas per chance?