How's your optimism?

Loughborough Ram

With almost half of the games behind us, how optimistic do you feel about the rest of the season? Where do you think we will finish?

It will be interesting to see the difference in our opinions between now and the end of the transfer window.

My feeling is that we will finish 3rd, having been in hunt for the top two for the final 2 months of the season. 

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

With almost half of the games behind us, how optimistic do you feel about the rest of the season? Where do you think we will finish?

It will be interesting to see the difference in our opinions between now and the end of the transfer window.

My feeling is that we will finish 3rd, having been in hunt for the top two for the final 2 months of the season. 

I don’t know what the stats are for Div 1 , but 3rd place doesn’t seem to give you any advantage in the play offs. What does concern me is that for years now , our form after Xmas has been poor . Can’t be a curse , must be down to bad January signings.

14 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I don’t know what the stats are for Div 1 , but 3rd place doesn’t seem to give you any advantage in the play offs. What does concern me is that for years now , our form after Xmas has been poor . Can’t be a curse , must be down to bad January signings.

I’ve not looked at the stats for league 1 (What is this Div 1 you speak of? ?)either but presumably the simple achievement of finishing 3rd doesn’t actually give you an advantage. It’s all about what sort of end of season form you take into the play offs, what injuries you’re carrying, the character of your team to perform in the play offs v the bread and butter of the league and what the actual gulf is between the league places. If the team finishing 3rd finished way ahead of the others then it’s a bit different to if there is only a point or two between the teams.

Anyway, please no more talk of our play off chances for the time being ?

27 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

It happened a few times in the height of the mel era but that's it. Cocu's first season we were miles better after Christmas than we were before it. I think it's a bit of a myth really and has no bearing on the current team. 

I'm very optimistic about our promotion chances. The team has improved as the season has gone on and I expect us to continue doing that. You look at some of the losses and draws we've had so far and you think we can definitely iron them out. 

I think the realistic expectation is playoffs. This team is definitely capable of that. If we do it we've had a good season. But I wouldn't write off automatic promotion. It will be tough of course but we have to believe we can chase them down.

Edited by Rammy03