Derby or England on Saturday?

DarkFruitsRam7

Derby or England on Saturday?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If the question were Derby to win on Saturday to win the league, or England to get to a Semi Final then it might be a tougher decision (particularly if it was that or the play offs or something). But at this point in the season a win against Burton will mean very little one way or the other (I know any defeat is treated like the end of the world for some on here and Twitter, but it really isn’t).

The chance to win a league game, or get promotion also comes around quite regularly…. unlike a World Cup (and even rarer to have a team capable of winning it).

Have to say quite surprised by the voting so far.

Ooh... Ooh...

Seeing as a good number are twisting the gist of the OP (which was a simple and straightforward 50/50 choice) ,

How about we go one further, and add the possibility of draws into the equation?

A draw for Derby might seem "not the end of the world"... unless we then go on to miss out on something big by one point (Where a win would have ultimately gained us promotion, or a spot in the Play-Offs).

A draw for England would be bring out the bravos... unless it ultimately leads to yet another peno heartbreak!  

No idea what the point of my post is.  Probably just rambling on, like others on here, and totally ignoring the OP!  ?

stirring-the-pot-will-truman.gif

6 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've already read terms such as "Everybody" and "The whole country" etc...

That for me is the crunch. 
Why should folk be allowed to just stroll in once every 4 years, and take part in the positivity?  Many of whom won't know the offside rule, or what year England won the WC, or what 2 teams played in "The white horse final"!.  They won't know who Geoff Hurst effectively replaced in '66.  
They won't realise that the vast majority of the cast of "Escape to Victory" were yer actual, real life footballers... icons in some cases... legends to many!

They won't know that Bury were winning cup finals by 6 goals decades, and decades, and decades before Man bloody city were doing it!  
They won't know who held the FA Cup for the most consecutive years (Trick question... but a good 'un!)
They won't have a clue who Mr S Bloomer was (More than just a Rams legend!), or that a keeper once played on in a cup final with a broken neck!

What does "First division champions actually mean?"  They'll cry.
"Charlton reached the '46 cup final despite losing to Fulham in a 3rd round tie?  Don't be so ridiculous!", they'll screech!

These are football facts... for football fans!
Pwoper Football fans take the flak.  They suffer immensely... and fully deserve to party on, when their team hit the highs.  These are the folk I wanna be partying with!

I don't want to be partying with hangers on!  I don't even want to be talking football with folk that have never been to a professional game in their lives.  "Ooh... how nervy were those penalties eh?  What about that Henry Kane, eh?  Ha, ha, did you see Emma Bappy's face!"  Feckorf!
Duck 'em!  Duck 'em all!

Oh... did I not say?  Derby for me!   ?

So have to assume you are similarly scathing about people who watch and get into the rugby World Cup but not the club game, wimbledon but not Davis Cup, British Open or Ryder Cup but not the English Open, the Ashes but not the county championship, not to mention watching America’s cup, Tour de France, Olympics, British Grand Prix, London Marathon, Boat Race, Grand National etc without have detailed knowledge of the sport in question. 

if people get into it and enjoy it, what’s the problem with that? 

I always assumed the half of the population who didn't watch the semi-final of Euro 96 were all 'Rugger' types and folk without electricity. 

Now we know it was actually football fans who would cheer their club in an under 8's game rather than support the national team.

I mean, fair play to them I guess. 

36 minutes ago, trekkie_ram said:

England win a World Cup Quarter Final or Derby win a random game in a 46 game season?

I hope the people picking Derby are doing so tongue in cheek.

Nope no interest in International football whatsoever unless a Rams player is involved and even then wouldn’t swap a Derby win for an England one even the WC Final. Derby all the way for me 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Spelling

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

So have to assume you are similarly scathing about people who watch and get into the rugby World Cup but not the club game, wimbledon but not Davis Cup, British Open or Ryder Cup but not the English Open, the Ashes but not the county championship, not to mention watching America’s cup, Tour de France, Olympics, British Grand Prix, London Marathon, Boat Race, Grand National etc without have detailed knowledge of the sport in question. 

if people get into it and enjoy it, what’s the problem with that? 

First off, you assume wrong. 
If anyone approached me to discuss any of those examples you give, I'd apologise to them, admit my lack of interest and knowledge in the subject, and politely suggest they go discuss with someone who is interested and/or knowledgeable about it.  That's not me.  Chances are, I would likely not even know c. 50% of those competitions/tournaments/races etc were even happening.

Secondly, I am not "scathing" of any football fan (of and club and/or country, and at any level) who celebrates a headline win.  I'd even be more than comfortable to celebrate with them (And I include a win for England this coming Saturday in that, whether Derby win, draw, or lose v Burton).

My reference to the terms "Everyone" and "The whole country" etc was very much (100%) aimed at those who will likely bask in the glory come Sunday morning, should England beat France, despite not even knowing that the World Cup was about to kick off, this time last month.  Those people who have no idea where the competition is being held.  The very people that are not aware of the fact this is the first time it's been played in the Northern Hemisphere's winter season, and what a big deal that is to many around the world.  Those that have no idea why a team that lost 10 days ago don't immediately fly home (so to speak), yet this week, they do!  The sort that look blankly at the ceiling when you try to explain the difference between group games and knock out.  Those that assume this years hosts were chosen about 3 months ago, and not over a decade ago.  Those that are dumbfounded that a team as wonderous as Brazil have never won the Euros(!) or why "Reel Madrid" have never won the World Cup.  Those that actually mean it, when they say "It's only a game" (as opposed to those just on a deliberate wind-up).  Those that have never attended a football stadium through personal choice, regardless of opportunity  (Of course, I mean due to lack of interest... nothing physical, mental, nor phobia related!)

Believe me, there are plenty of folk out there that match those descriptions... and I have no problem with that.  (See the earlier description of myself, re other sports).  Quite a few of them are my very own family, friends, and acquaintances. 

These same people will want to join in the celebrations on Saturday night, should we win... and believe it or not, I truly have no problem with that either... But I simply don't want to be celebrating with them. I simply don't want to be discussing the big talking points with them.  I want to be amongst those of a similar ilk.  I want that passionate comprehension to be mutual.

I'd happily celebrate an England World Cup (Final) win alongside Forest fans, Wycombe fans, Boro fans, and even go to a party organised by the Bluenose FootyParty Co. 
I want to be celebrating with football fans... fellow football fans.
Those that have suffered the lows as well as the highs.  Those that can fully appreciate just what a big deal it really is.  Those that don't feel the need to ask "Why are you crying"... or even laughing at me for doing so!  Those that know, just know!

For clarity... in my opinion... The very folk I am referencing in my post(s) are a thousand times "worse" than anyone wearing a Half an' Half scarf to a football match.  In fact scrap that... they don't even compare!

25 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Nope no interest in International football whatsoever unless a Rams player is involved and even then wouldn’t swap a Derby win for an England one even the WC Final. Derby all the way for me 

I'm with you, can't believe how many people are choosing England over Derby!

I'd like England to win the world cup, of course I would, but I'm just not that fussed about international football compared to supporting my local team.

51 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I always assumed the half of the population who didn't watch the semi-final of Euro 96 were all 'Rugger' types and folk without electricity. 

Now we know it was actually football fans who would cheer their club in an under 8's game rather than support the national team.

I mean, fair play to them I guess. 

I suspect a lot of those choosing Derby over England are doing so in the spirit of the specifically and intentionally (I assume?) weighted options in the OP.

I also strongly suspect that many of us will be absolutely effin & jeffin delighted with two wins on Saturday.

Cry 'God for Rammie, England, and Saint George!'

29024_source_1661348348.jpg   gb-e-der-fc.gif

Like most on here I'm very much club before country so, for instance, if the choice is between Derby getting promoted and England winning the World Cup, it's Derby every time.

But like many on here I do like to have my cake and eat it (otherwise, what's the point of cake?) so just on Saturday the key is for England to win, or else we're out. Whereas a defeat for the Rams and there is still chance to rectify the damage.

Derby County will never again qualify for Europe the cost of entry is now too high and dominated by the Greedy 6, therefore the only  football team playing overseas I can support is England and I derive immense pleasure from watching them in far flung countries and being with many like minded fans from teams from all over our green and pleasant land. 2026 World Cup will be in the USA Mexico and Canada so I will be able to support England in my backyard.

My final thoughts are that if you don't support the England team I assume it is because you are not patriotic and do not love your country.

11 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Derby County will never again qualify for Europe the cost of entry is now too high and dominated by the Greedy 6, therefore the only  football team playing overseas I can support is England and I derive immense pleasure from watching them in far flung countries and being with many like minded fans from teams from all over our green and pleasant land. 2026 World Cup will be in the USA Mexico and Canada so I will be able to support England in my backyard.

My final thoughts are that if you don't support the England team I assume it is because you are not patriotic and do not love your country.

Or you're not English?  ?‍♂️