Derby or England on Saturday?

DarkFruitsRam7

Derby or England on Saturday?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I  can understand wanting Derby to win a a trophy or promotion more than England, but I can't wrap my head around a December league game against bottom of the league meaning more than a World Cup Quarter Final against France.

Maybe it's because me and my mates make a huge deal out of it and will be watching in a busy pub.

Either way, it's going to be a cracking day of football (and beer).

Exactly, what if these 3 points are the difference between going up or not...

Derby first, always. #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

Voted Derby, because I never want "us" to do anything other than win. I just can't get excited about the national team, but if I really had to decide between a league game in December or a World Cup quarter final I would go for England.

If you were asking me for Derby in round 3 of the FA cup I would need to think for a bit longer.

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

It's club before country for me, but as @DarkFruitsRam7has said, if it's a WC Quarter Final or a random league game, you're taking the quarter final.

If the question was would you rather Derby go up or England win the World Cup, the answer is probably very different for me.

The question was straight forward, the answer is Derby 

17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I  can understand wanting Derby to win a a trophy or promotion more than England, but I can't wrap my head around a December league game against bottom of the league meaning more than a World Cup Quarter Final against France.

Maybe it's because me and my mates make a huge deal out of it and will be watching in a busy pub.

Either way, it's going to be a cracking day of football (and beer).

I think first you'd have to wrap your head around the idea that the national team is completely meaningless to some people, and the hysteria around them potentially winning a major tournament - which shouldn't really have been that difficult to achieve with the quality of players available over the years with just a little luck, or clever management - is both silly and off-putting to them, even if they do like football and support their local club.

Also that not everybody is, has been, or wants to be part of a 'group of lads/mates' and all the things that can involve.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've already read terms such as "Everybody" and "The whole country" etc...

That for me is the crunch. 
Why should folk be allowed to just stroll in once every 4 years, and take part in the positivity?  Many of whom won't know the offside rule, or what year England won the WC, or what 2 teams played in "The white horse final"!.  They won't know who Geoff Hurst effectively replaced in '66.  
They won't realise that the vast majority of the cast of "Escape to Victory" were yer actual, real life footballers... icons in some cases... legends to many!

They won't know that Bury were winning cup finals by 6 goals decades, and decades, and decades before Man bloody city were doing it!  
They won't know who held the FA Cup for the most consecutive years (Trick question... but a good 'un!)
They won't have a clue who Mr S Bloomer was (More than just a Rams legend!), or that a keeper once played on in a cup final with a broken neck!

What does "First division champions actually mean?"  They'll cry.
"Charlton reached the '46 cup final despite losing to Fulham in a 3rd round tie?  Don't be so ridiculous!", they'll screech!

These are football facts... for football fans!
Pwoper Football fans take the flak.  They suffer immensely... and fully deserve to party on, when their team hit the highs.  These are the folk I wanna be partying with!

I don't want to be partying with hangers on!  I don't even want to be talking football with folk that have never been to a professional game in their lives.  "Ooh... how nervy were those penalties eh?  What about that Henry Kane, eh?  Ha, ha, did you see Emma Bappy's face!"  Feckorf!
Duck 'em!  Duck 'em all!

Oh... did I not say?  Derby for me!   ?

I know this post is tongue and cheek, but I'm the only Derby fan in my friendship group so it's nice to have some backing for once!

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Seen this on twitter, so thought I’d bring it to the forum. If you could only choose one team to win on Saturday, would it be Derby or England?

For me, the answer is easy. I’d much rather England beat France in a World Cup Quarter Final and have the whole country go mad than Derby win a random league game.

Are you mad ,,, derby every time ,,,,,

easy to say as a Scot? If derby played Scotland I’m in the derby end 

My head says the England game is bigger...World cup quarters, global stage, finest players in the world on show in a brand new, state of the art arena...but in the end my heart picks Derby County Football Club winning an instantly forgettable away win in the freezing cold in front of 5000 shivering League 1 fans. 1-0, ricochet off someones face from 2 yards in a 90th minute ruck.

Mbappe? My arse.

3 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

England. 

We can afford to lose to Burton and still win the league. No room for manoeuvre with England. 

I think that’s it for me as well. If Derby lose it’s like going in at half time a goal down, the show isn’t over. My country has been edging closer to the big one, I am thinking this could be it, Rashford matching Bobby Charlton ‘s 66 scoring feels like a sign. It’s going to be a tough one, we might crumble but we have to hope when there’s only one go at it every 4 years

6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Seen this on twitter, so thought I’d bring it to the forum. If you could only choose one team to win on Saturday, would it be Derby or England?

For me, the answer is easy. I’d much rather England beat France in a World Cup Quarter Final and have the whole country go mad than Derby win a random league game.

Yeah I’m the same!

If it was derby winning the league or England winning the World Cup then I’m derby all the way.

the two games Saturday aren’t comparable though.

hopefully is two wins and an amazing day

Having already submitting my vote for Derby,  I now turn my attention to the negative aspect of this conundrum... how dissapointed will I be with losses?  Which defeat would affect me more and/or for longer.

Have to say, I will be over an England loss by bedtime on Saturday night. 

For a Rams defeat at Burton, I'll only just be starting to snap out of a lull in my mood by the time I head for work on Monday morning.

So in essence... still Derby, whichever way I look at it.

Yeah... and England win would be absolutely fantastic, but lets remember the rules of this thread... which one matters more!   ?

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Having already submitting my vote for Derby,  I now turn my attention to the negative aspect of this conundrum... how dissapointed will I be with losses?  Which defeat would affect me more and/or for longer.

Have to say, I will be over an England loss by bedtime on Saturday night. 

For a Rams defeat at Burton, I'll only just be starting to snap out of a lull in my mood by the time I head for work on Monday morning.

So in essence... still Derby, whichever way I look at it.

Yeah... and England win would be absolutely fantastic, but lets remember the rules of this thread... which one matters more!   ?

I’ve told you they both matter equally for me .

Derby could afford to lose Saturday and still get promoted via the playoffs but England would have to wait 4 years for another chance at the World Cup  

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I’ve told you they both matter equally for me .

Derby could afford to lose Saturday and still get promoted via the playoffs but England would have to wait 4 years for another chance at the World Cup  

Are you taking me seriously, and trying to contrive an actual debate?  I thought better of you than that!  Don't waste your time.  I'm only here for the craic!  

??