Burton Albion (A) (Sat 10th Dec 2022, 2pm KO)

It’s time to get Knight back in this team and NML.

I would personally drop Dobbin and Smith but I suspect many will drop Hourihane.

My issue is that we nullify Hourihanes game with our tactics.

The tactics for me are just awful. No retention of the ball which just invites pressure back on us as we saw today.

I miss the possession game, especially when we have a lead.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Superior? First half mostly, maybe. Can't think what he saw at all second half. I presume Sibs was injured because him going off made a big difference.

A38 derby ??

Only got to see the second half so can only assume from Warne's assessment that we were superb first half, as we were poor second half.

In between Dobbin's horrible finish & a bit of injury time pressure, Burton dominated & will be disappointed not to have won on the basis of chances they created. We struggled to string 2 passes together & they looked much physically stronger & faster. As others have mentioned, we looked light in midfield & the obvious play was to put more numbers in there to grab back control & then punish them with some quality. Credit to Burton though, was really impressed with Kamwa on their left side & if they can keep that intensity going they'll escape trouble.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

2 hours ago, chezzyram said:

So out of this whole turgid mess of a game which hardly anyone comes out of with any credit, including the manager, you have picked on one incident involving Dobbin as the catalyst for our problems? What a surprise!

Yep it was the catalyst or don't you grasp how missing clear cut chances cost us. 

28 minutes ago, rammieib said:

It’s time to get Knight back in this team and NML.

I would personally drop Dobbin and Smith but I suspect many will drop Hourihane.

My issue is that we nullify Hourihanes game with our tactics.

The tactics for me are just awful. No retention of the ball which just invites pressure back on us as we saw today.

I miss the possession game, especially when we have a lead.

Hourihane was fairly anonymous especially after Sibley went off. But I totally agree with your other points. I worry what we'll do with Smith because he gets away with being so ordinary atm through being out of position!

Warne seems unable to play round pegs in round holes, why?

What a disappointing game that was. We looked good but wasteful early doors.

Burton made the halftime substitution that worked, we made the one that didn't. 

Completely puzzled by why we didn't start NML, needed his strength and directness in that game whilst we had control and McGoldrick was fresh, not when we'd started to get overrun. Go into halftime with a healthy lead, rather than give Burton a chance to get back into the game.

And bringing Davies on was bizarre - the midfield was the problem that needed fixing. Hourihane has to find some industry from somewhere to go alongside his supposed skills, otherwise this season is going to pass us by, just like games pass him by. Bird had to work his socks off to compensate for him.

38 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Yep it was the catalyst or don't you grasp how missing clear cut chances cost us. 

If Dobbin had scored yes we’d have been in a stronger position, but we still dropped 2 points from a winning position and that doesn’t sit squarely on the shoulders of one young player.

The team failed to create or take chances to extend the lead, the team failed to defend a lead, the team failed to retain possession and the team dropped points from a winning position. We didn’t however, lose the game. We’re still unbeaten in 11, still in the playoffs and can still improve. It wasn’t the worst day ever.

I think Dobbin should be on the bench for the next game. Ideally I’d like to see Sibley played behind Collins with Barkhuizen and NML as the wide players, give Sibley license to create and take on shots from distance.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If Dobbin had scored yes we’d have been in a stronger position, but we still dropped 2 points from a winning position and that doesn’t sit squarely on the shoulders of one young player.

The team failed to create or take chances to extend the lead, the team failed to defend a lead, the team failed to retain possession and the team dropped points from a winning position. We didn’t however, lose the game. We’re still unbeaten in 11, still in the playoffs and can still improve. It wasn’t the worst day ever.

I think Dobbin should be on the bench for the next game. Ideally I’d like to see Sibley played behind Collins with Barkhuizen and NML as the wide players, give Sibley license to create and take on shots from distance.

Dobbins miss was vital and Sibley won't cut it as a number 10. Thought he has shown more composure as a LB but its time to play Knight in midfield and NML . 

30 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Dobbins miss was vital and Sibley won't cut it as a number 10. Thought he has shown more composure as a LB but its time to play Knight in midfield and NML . 

Dobbins miss may have proved vital and Sibley has been more composed at LB than any of us (I reckon) thought possible but it’s not his natural position and I wouldn’t like to see it become is permanent position.

4 hours ago, YouRams said:

I can't work out if we're missing something or the tactics are off, Warne needs a transfer window or two to get his own players in before we can make full judgement I think. 

Rosenior should have been allowed more than one very truncated transfer window followed by just 9 league games before we could make a full judgement, I think.

Anyone know why Knights not getting game time.  Can only assume we're trying to protect a sellable asset who has advised he won't be around next summer.

It appears that Dobbin cannot really create or contribute goals unless its a Mason Bennett Wigan worldy against a non league team. .  I can't get why he's starting.

That change in formation was a right f*** up but we should have been at least two or three up by then-see above.

Bout it really

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Warneball not even close to winning me over. The kick and run was bad enough, but it seemed to me that whilst we were under some defensive pressure Forsyth and Cashin were in control, and forming a good strong shape. Coming on, Davies just inadvertently created problems for us. Forsyth didn’t seem to know where he should be in the five. Glad I am watching games on TV. I am having early 80s flashbacks of watching turgid football in the wet and cold.

He's done . That's been evident not just this season but the tail end of the last one. 

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

I hate to tell you this, but we drew at Fleetwood, Shrewsbury and Morecambe too. 

Imagine if we had forked out actual money to buy these players!

Don't forget the heights from whence we have fallen!

Also, bear in mind how we teetered on the brink of ignominious oblivion not six months ago!

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Just listened to Warnes interview on rams tv. "generally speaking they played how I want them to play". In fairness he also said he was disappointed but I'm afraid if this is his style of play his appointment for me is turning out very disappointing. 

I hope everyone reads and understands the above.

PW: "Generally speaking, they played how I want them to play".

This is how Warne wants us to play. He said so. This is it.

4 year contract.

League 1.

Lucky to draw at Burton. Burton f***ing Albion.

This is it. This is how Warne want us to play. He said so just today.

Hope all the Rosenior haters are happy.

Edited by DB83

6 minutes ago, DB83 said:

...Lucky to draw at Burton. Burton f***ing Albion.

This is it. This is how Warne want us to play. He said so just today.

Hope all the Rosenior haters are happy.

Just because some didn't want Rosenior as manager it doesn't follow that they'd be happy with a 'lucky draw at Burton' and how we played. 

Edited by RoyMac5