Holiday Plans 2023

1of4

On 19/06/2023 at 19:08, angieram said:

A good friend of mine is intending to sell their property there shortly so if you don't get fixed up let me know. It has a pool but I don't know much else about it! 

My brother is in the final stages of selling his house in a village near Carcassone and returning to the UK. To SE Yorkshire 🤷🏻

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2023 at 09:27, Eddie said:

Probably just Scarborough to watch Yorkshire v Derbyshire in September.

Went to Bridlington four weeks ago, sat on the north beach at high tide when I saw something in the water that caught attention. It’s was about 6-7 dolphins it was amazing.

Apparently most of the sightings are in Scarborough so you might be lucky to see them. 

https://www.visitscarborough.com/dolphin-sightings-daily-in-scarborough-this-week

13 minutes ago, cstand said:

Went to Bridlington four weeks ago, sat on the north beach at high tide when I saw something in the water that caught attention. It’s was about 6-7 dolphins it was amazing.

Apparently most of the sightings are in Scarborough so you might be lucky to see them. 

https://www.visitscarborough.com/dolphin-sightings-daily-in-scarborough-this-week

Dolphins are great fun. A few years ago, we went by ferry to Cork, and something like 50 of them were following the ferry for about 10 miles. Then I got my camera out - and they instantly buggered off.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Admira, did you get fixed up while you were in France? My friend's property is just about to go on the market. 

Well I can't give too much away due to the NDA we had to sign but let's just say it was successful and a fantastic experience.  I hope your friend manages to sell OK.

It'll be aired sometime between 3 months and a year's time and when I know, I'll stick it on the forum and give away my anonymity! 

Edited by admira

12 minutes ago, admira said:

Well I can't give too much away due to the NDA we had to sign but let's just say it was successful and a fantastic experience.  I hope your friend manages to sell OK.

It'll be aired sometime between 3 months and a year's time and when I know, I'll stick it on the forum and give away my anonymity! 

Thanks for the info! 

• 1 month later...

When you put plans in place for a two week camping trip to France... return Le Shuttle crossings booked... campsites noted (but no need to pre-book)... 4 night stay in a gite all booked, to attend son's wedding to a local lass down in Les Landes... and then the boss turns around and says "Go the week before mate.  Have an extra week, why don't yer"!

We're like... 

Whoo Hoo!

camping-498-x-498-gif-x8mivsqt07dbcqcx.g

• 2 weeks later...

Came out to Oludeniz, Turkey for 11 nights on the 7th. 13 of us (all family), we rented a beautiful 5 bedroom villa. It was our treat to ourselves following an awful 2022. Whilst here we've celebrated my Wife's birthday and my youngest Grandson's 1st birthday.

Unfortunately on the 15th one of my darling Grandsons moved a plastic tray from the worktop in the kitchen to get to a packet of crisps. He put it on the lovely polished marble floor. In comes Grandad, steps on the tray, slips, flies up in the air and lands heavily on his right hip. End result I'd snapped the neck of my femur and needed a full hip replacement.

I fly back on Sunday - ambulance to Dalaman airport, fly business class to Istanbul airport, got to wait there for about 4 hours, fly business class back to Manchester, ambulance home. All accompanied by a qualified nurse.

Must be costing the travel insurance company thousands - don't skimp on travel insurance, purchase the best you can afford, I'm glad I did.

1 hour ago, Ewetube said:

Came out to Oludeniz, Turkey for 11 nights on the 7th. 13 of us (all family), we rented a beautiful 5 bedroom villa. It was our treat to ourselves following an awful 2022. Whilst here we've celebrated my Wife's birthday and my youngest Grandson's 1st birthday.

Unfortunately on the 15th one of my darling Grandsons moved a plastic tray from the worktop in the kitchen to get to a packet of crisps. He put it on the lovely polished marble floor. In comes Grandad, steps on the tray, slips, flies up in the air and lands heavily on his right hip. End result I'd snapped the neck of my femur and needed a full hip replacement.

I fly back on Sunday - ambulance to Dalaman airport, fly business class to Istanbul airport, got to wait there for about 4 hours, fly business class back to Manchester, ambulance home. All accompanied by a qualified nurse.

Must be costing the travel insurance company thousands - don't skimp on travel insurance, purchase the best you can afford, I'm glad I did.

I didn’t know which emoji to choose here. So sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it heals well and that you’re back in the sun soon!

2 hours ago, Ewetube said:

I too dithered over the reaction, but went for the clinking pint pots.

Sorry to hear of your pains, but totally agree with the comments re insurance.

That free GHIC thing (formerly EHIC) is all well and good, but it ain't enough.
Muckerette had troubles a few years ago (In Spain).  We had no idea where the local "Normal" hospital was, but there was a leaflet for a local (private) medical centre in our rented villa, so we followed that.  They immediately cocked a snook at our EHIC cards (as it was then), but soon went into action when we gave them our Holiday Health Insurance policy details.  Scans.  Blood tests.  Drugs.  A bed for her, recliner for me.  Private room.  Meals from a wide choice of local takeaways!  🤣
They treated her like an absolute Queen from start to finish, and soon had her sorted, after an overnight stay... and a last minute dash to the airport for our scheduled departure!
Nothing mega expensive in our case, but there was still no bill to pay*.  The insurer did a quick 5minute telephone check (with us, now at home) about a week later, to confirm the hospital's claims, and it all went very smoothly.

You just never know!

Hope the return home isn't too much of a ball ache for you, and you're soon on the mend, buddy.   🤞🍻

*Technically, I think they cocked up. 
I believe they should have billed us, we pay the clinic, then claim back from insurance. 
But we weren't asked to settle any bill, and were clearly given the all clear to leave, so the clinic just billed direct to our insurer, having taken name(s) and policy numbers etc.  Result!

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I too dithered over the reaction, but went for the clinking pint pots.

Sorry to hear of your pains, but totally agree with the comments re insurance.

That free GHIC thing (formerly EHIC) is all well and good, but it ain't enough.
Muckerette had troubles a few years ago (In Spain).  We had no idea where the local "Normal" hospital was, but there was a leaflet for a local (private) medical centre in our rented villa, so we followed that.  They immediately cocked a snook at our EHIC cards (as it was then), but soon went into action when we gave them our Holiday Health Insurance policy details.  Scans.  Blood tests.  Drugs.  A bed for her, recliner for me.  Private room.  Meals from a wide choice of local takeaways!  🤣
They treated her like an absolute Queen from start to finish, and soon had her sorted, after an overnight stay... and a last minute dash to the airport for our scheduled departure!
Nothing mega expensive in our case, but there was still no bill to pay*.  The insurer did a quick 5minute telephone check (with us, now at home) about a week later, to confirm the hospital's claims, and it all went very smoothly.

You just never know!

Hope the return home isn't too much of a ball ache for you, and you're soon on the mend, buddy.   🤞🍻

*Technically, I think they cocked up. 
I believe they should have billed us, we pay the clinic, then claim back from insurance. 
But we weren't asked to settle any bill, and were clearly given the all clear to leave, so the clinic just billed direct to our insurer, having taken name(s) and policy numbers etc.  Result!

I had quite a lot of worry at the hospital when they told me my surgery would cost £15000 which I had to pay upfront.

I called my insurers for advice, they told me to get the hospital records sent to them and not to pay or agree to anything. 

The hospital eventually agreed to a guaranteed payment from the Insurers, which was a great relief.

The return home is going to be long and arduous but I'm really past caring; just want to get back home.

I'm managing to walk a little further each day (with a zimmer frame) and my wife has purchased some crutches  for my return. I'm otherwise fit, well and usually active so hopefully recovery should be quick.

I'm off to Thailand in late November. Got one night stopovers in each direction in Abu Dhabi. 12 nights accom cost me £160.

I'm off to the island of Koh Chang. The last few nights will be spent at Rasta View Bungalows. I may come back slightly spent.