Coventry City

FlyBritishMidland

Given a suspended 5 point deduction

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/december/efl-statement-coventry-city

Coventry City has received a five-point deduction to be suspended for the remainder of the 2022/2023 and 2023/2024 season, after the Club acknowledged that it had breached EFL Regulations relating to pitch maintenance, which led to the postponement of August’s scheduled fixtures against Rotherham United, Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town.

Coventry City will also pay compensation to the away Clubs along with associated costs of the EFL investigation.

Coventry City have also agreed to make a substantial donation to Middlesbrough Football Club. 

The sanction was imposed in accordance with the terms of an ‘Agreed Decision’ which has formally been ratified by an Independent Disciplinary Commission Chair as per the requirements of EFL Regulations.

19 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I assume paying a donation to Middlesbrough is now a standard part of any EFL punishment?.....

The Ambulance chaser from Wycombe has lodged a claim too. Apparently if we’d have been relegated the year before instead of them them they might have been effected by this event also.

monkey ambulance GIF

2 hours ago, littleover ram said:

Is the quote about donating to Middlesbrough a joke? Wtf is is to do with them?  Oh I think it is a joke, that isn't the actual statement is it? . 

Edited by PistoldPete

CC didn’t, and still don’t, own the ground.  The owner agreed to the ground being used for the Rugby 7s as part of the CWG.  The owner then also failed to get the ground ready for the start of the season.  So CC, the tenant, gets punished for the failure of the landlord.  Seems a bit harsh, but it is the EFL so when did any common sense come into play.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

12 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

So if they broke the rules, why is their points deduction suspended for two years? No doubt never actually applied, where we had everything hit at once in the same season.

These kind of offences are usually come with suspended penalties. In the 20/21 season, National League clubs were given a combined 64 suspended points, with Dover receiving a real 12 point deduction.

2 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

CC didn’t, and still don’t, own the ground.  The owner agreed to the ground being used for the Rugby 7s as part of the CWG.  The owner then also failed to get the ground ready for the start of the season.  So CC, the tenant, gets punished for the failure of the landlord.  Seems a bit harsh, but it is the EFL so when did any common sense come into play.

It's the club's responsibility to ensure they have somewhere to actually play their games.

12 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

So if they broke the rules, why is their points deduction suspended for two years? No doubt never actually applied, where we had everything hit at once in the same season.

It’s understandable for some of us to perhaps feel a little bitter at the way we were treated but the simple fact is they broke different rules to us. Rules that it would seem can attract a suspended punishment. I don’t think you can really compare the two offences. A bit like in the real world, some crimes attract an immediate punishment whilst for others the punishment can be suspended.

Personally, I get no joy from seeing this happen. Anyone who supports their local club deserves our good wishes (and I do mean anyone) so that they have a functioning club - OK, one that we can then beat week in and week out, this bit it fine. But if we gain joy from seeing others suffering the same tribulations as we did then all we are doing is providing succour to those who think European Super League and sofa being the place to watch football is the right model.

That said, Coventry is a weird one - for a city of it's size they have always struggled for support, their ground is a khazi and short of one FA Cup win and that Ernie Hunt goal they have had nuffink to cheer since Jimmy Hill played for them. I know we often claim to have under achieved (in Cup competition definitely) but Covvy takes that to a new level. Probably only Birmingham City have been greater under achievers in my lifetime.

On 23/12/2022 at 13:14, BaaLocks said:

Personally, I get no joy from seeing this happen. Anyone who supports their local club deserves our good wishes (and I do mean anyone) so that they have a functioning club - OK, one that we can then beat week in and week out, this bit it fine. But if we gain joy from seeing others suffering the same tribulations as we did then all we are doing is providing succour to those who think European Super League and sofa being the place to watch football is the right model.

That said, Coventry is a weird one - for a city of it's size they have always struggled for support, their ground is a khazi and short of one FA Cup win and that Ernie Hunt goal they have had nuffink to cheer since Jimmy Hill played for them. I know we often claim to have under achieved (in Cup competition definitely) but Covvy takes that to a new level. Probably only Birmingham City have been greater under achievers in my lifetime.

To confirm.. Your drawing the line at red still arnt u ? Lol

What's wrong with the ground? I've never been to a game there, but have seen a couple of gigs, and it seemed fine to me compared with some grounds.

2 hours ago, ketteringram said:

What's wrong with the ground? I've never been to a game there, but have seen a couple of gigs, and it seemed fine to me compared with some grounds.

Really badly designed, with all the executive boxes down one side just sucking any atmosphere possible away - one whole stand is just silent. Plus, because they aren't the best supported club in the world, it's always half full. As crap as it comes in terms of places to watch football.

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Really badly designed, with all the executive boxes down one side just sucking any atmosphere possible away - one whole stand is just silent. Plus, because they aren't the best supported club in the world, it's always half full. As crap as it comes in terms of places to watch football.

In a lot of respects it's fine, there's nothing "wrong" with it but at the same time it's an example of everything people don't like about modern stadiums, no character, no atmosphere, no sense of place or occasion.

Personally I think Birmingham city have over achieved