Portsmouth (A) Fri 18th Nov 2022

17 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Sibley will have his critics but I think a game like tonight will do him some good because he will learn positional play by playing in that position. He did ok tonight all things considered. I think he’s learnt more these last 10 games than he’s done in the previous 90.

Think it's difficult to really judge him playing where he is, but it isn't by accident as he was training as wing back a good few weeks ago. 

I would give him a lot of credit for showing some maturity after getting the booking, didn't look like getting himself in any further trouble.

Good point. The team worked hard, but other than McGoldrick there wasn’t too much pretty on offer. Missed Roberts tonight, as I wonder whether we might have gone 4312 if he had been available. We were a player short upfront as neither Smith or Sibley could get forward with any real effect, leaving Collins again running around to not much benefit. The squad is being stretched to the full with these injuries, but seem motivated to get something out of every game.

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well lads the derby battled hard for that solid point 8 games unbeaten now only thing losing lang sadly but we do have players to play there but I think sebly supended for next league game against shifflield Wednesday does anyone know if Jason knight fit at all for fa cup game Sunday.

It's not until the 27th so hopefully him and others may be up for consideration.

29 minutes ago, Diego said:

Not sure how the midget with the headband got MOTM based on one routine cross ?

They gave him MOTM and then never discussed his performance after the game but showed how well Didzy played, surely he was MOTM. Also showed all the chances we had, but could only find that one soft header over the bar from Pompey. Only one team deserved anything, tonight.

Good result and good performance all things considered. 

We played well in the first half, but struggled in the 2nd, which was to be expected given our fixtures and injuries. 

Hopefully we didn’t pick up anymore injuries and we can get a few more injured players back over the next week.

Happy to take a point here and they didn’t threaten our goal too much.

10 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well lads the derby battled hard for that solid point 8 games unbeaten now only thing losing lang sadly but we do have players to play there but I think sebly supended for next league game against shifflield Wednesday does anyone know if Jason knight fit at all for fa cup game Sunday.

That was only Sibley's second booking in the league this season. He's well safe for now. Warne said Knight is close. I don't think we need to risk him for the FA Cup. Give him the extra week before Sheffield Wednesday. The League is our focus and we've got too many injuries as it is. The FA Cup is not important this season.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

7 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

That was only Sibley's second booking in the league this season. He's well safe for now. Warne said Knight is close. I don't think we need to risk him for the FA Cup. Give him the extra week before Sheffield Wednesday. The League is our focus and we've got too many injuries as it is. The FA Cup is not important this season.

Well I have to disagree with you on that one ever round get through is more money for derby even possible help get players through the door.

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Barkhuizen back now but boy we will miss NML. Injuries really messing us up this year. Hopefully Knight will be back soon. What's the latest on Roberts he was starting to look really quite good? 

Perhaps his ankle is to saw to play tonight

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I have to disagree with you on that one ever round get through is more money for derby even possible help get players through the door.

And it adds to the risk of more injuries to our very thin squad. We'll make much more money by returning to the Championship this season than we will from another game or two in the FA Cup this season. If you disagree B4 we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I want us to be in the Championship next season if we can do that.

11 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well said B4, every game in every competition in every season should always be important. The whole point of football is to win trophies after all.

8 minutes ago, DB83 said:

Well said B4, every game in every competition in every season should always be important. The whole point of football is to win trophies after all.

We don’t have the luxury of a squad, we basically have a first XI and 2 or three subs. Normally I’d agree but sod all the cups off and go all in on promotion. What would we do if Bird have a season ending injury against Newport? When we actually have a squad go for it but not this season.

Not much in it but I feel if we had Mendez Laing tonight and a couple of actual fullbacks we win this by a couple.  The team, or whats left, seem to be accepting that there in a league were you have too match up before you can do anything else which took a while but is promising going forward.  Ball retention is still awful though and we spent 30 minutes second half creating our own pressure.

Currently in Budapest but found an Irish bar (with a couple of fellow Rams) to watch it. 

We were a lot better than I was anticipating, doubly so after seeing the line up. I thought we competed very well from front to back and easily created the best chances. Didzy was very close when he hit the bar, Fozzy should’ve scored, another Rooney nearly prodded home and there was a stonewall penalty too. 

Wasn’t too impressed with them. Created very little despite our makeshift side and there was some unbelievably bad diving. Laughable the referee even fell for some of it. Some of the worst and most blatant I can recall. 

Thought Thompson played really well in an unfamiliar role. Rooney was very good. Hourihane and Bird didn’t get bypassed too often either. Didzy was stupidly good first half too. We struggled with lack of pace at full back, but credit to Sibley in improving as the game went on, in yet another player in an unfamiliar role. 

A lot of positives overall with how the squad is currently. 

1 minute ago, Ramslad1992 said:

We don’t have the luxury of a squad, we basically have a first XI and 2 or three subs. Normally I’d agree but sod all the cups off and go all in on promotion. What would we do if Bird have a season ending injury against Newport? When we actually have a squad go for it but not this season.

There's always an excuse not to take the cups seriously though:

'It's so important just to get out of League 1 this season"

"It's so important just to stay in the Championship this season"

"We aren't that far of the play-offs this season"

"We have a real chance of going up automatically this season"

"It's so important just to stay in the PL this season"

Etc, etc... which is way I prefer to take them seriously every game, every season... otherwise we never will.

The three greatest things the club has ever done are win the League twice and the FA Cup once... however great the Jim Smith era was (for example), we still were only mid-table in the PL. Anyway, off topic really, so my apologies. Good and well deserved point tonight!!