The Midfield Trio

Ghost of Clough

Simple question - with everyone fully fit, who would your midfield trio be?

Tommo hasn't been given much of a chance in the league so far this season, but here are some stats for the others per 90 minutes played at CM:

image.thumb.png.977bb6bef1d8251772d6527ac6cc3d2e.png

The stats suggest Bird is the best defensive contributor, Sibley the best offensive contributor, and Knight is our jack of all trades.

Bird, Knight and Sibley are a nice blend for me. The two things that nag for me are a lack of experience when we come up against a more cynical side and a lack of defensive bite, which leaves our back 3 a little exposed.

Hopefully their talent, energy and enthusiasm can make up for those deficiencies.

Haven't been impressed by Hourihane's overall play, decent impact sub perhaps? Smith has looked good in the few moments we have seen him but I'm left with the conundrum of who to leave out of Smith plays and decided to put my faith in the home grown lads.

It's a nice problem to have if we can make it work to our advantage.

4 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Bird, Knight and Sibley are a nice blend for me. The two things that nag for me are a lack of experience when we come up against a more cynical side and a lack of defensive bite, which leaves our back 3 a little exposed.

Hopefully their talent, energy and enthusiasm can make up for those deficiencies.

Haven't been impressed by Hourihane's overall play, decent impact sub perhaps? Smith has looked good in the few moments we have seen him but I'm left with the conundrum of who to leave out of Smith plays and decided to put my faith in the home grown lads.

It's a nice problem to have if we can make it work to our advantage.

I think your right in your first choice 3. Of course There will be games where Hourihan is useful, Smith too, you could put Tommo into any mix and he’d do a job. We have a good midfield “squad” The trick is getting the blend right and part of that is opposition dependent. We do lack a bit of muscle and stature though. Bielik back for end of season charge. ? Either way we need to use our dynamic midfield not bye pass it too often 

I think most would say Bird, Sibley, Knight. All three have been playing together for years too, but rarely in the first team. We will see them rotated, though, considering the amount of games we will get through in quick succession.

I really want to see more from Knight in a midfield role, though. He's played his best football at right back this season. 

38 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think most would say Bird, Sibley, Knight. All three have been playing together for years too, but rarely in the first team. We will see them rotated, though, considering the amount of games we will get through in quick succession.

I really want to see more from Knight in a midfield role, though. He's played his best football at right back this season. 

This, with Smith available I do wonder if  Knight may end up playing the odd game at RWB or move there with subs after NML has ran himself into the grd 

Still not sure where Hourihane's best position is, but am increasingly sure I don't want him and Bird in the same midfield, or we end up lacking physicality/mobility. 

I guess he might be better suited to coming on later in games when there is more space and the speed of the game has dropped.

Whether he'd be happy with that is another question but at the moment for me it's Bird/Knight/Sibley starting. 

Smith is a (very good) squad player for me if we are playing three at the back. I'd swap Bird for Bielik in a heartbeat if he ended up coming back after the world cup (which he won't).

Edited by vonwright

Sibley for his ability to carry the ball forward at pace, his shooting, his inventiveness around the box, his strength, tackling and refusal to be bullied. And his set pieces. 

Knight for his duracell engine, determination, tackling and forward drive. Another player who isn't bullied.

The final position is harder to call. It will be Bielik if he returns. These stats don't appear to show it, but if playing one more defensive midfielder (which is how I'd do it) I'd say Smith > Bird/Hourihane if all are fit.