Observations Of A Happy Clapper

nick_d

Watched (on RamsTV) the Mansfield game, I know it wasn't our first X1, but was very disappointed in the way we allowed Mansfield to dominate after we scored.

Was at Pride Park today and loved the first 7-8 minutes, but then we went downhill and allowed Port Vale to dominate the rest of the game, much as Mansfield did on Tuesday.

Mitigating factors, yes the ref; After watching the Queen open Pride Park in 1997, I can't remember an away team having 2 penalties awarded to them outside of a penalty shoot-out, and I'm struggling to remember when we last had a penalty awarded against us at Pride Park.  However, how awful the ref was today (and he was appalling), what worries me is the response our current team has to any determined attacks against it.

I really hope that I am over-reacting to a disappointing loss, but I can't not ask the question:  are the current recently assembled squad who agreed to come to Derby County to play for the football Rooney and latterly Rosenior advocated, willing to play the style of football advocated by Paul Warne?

31 minutes ago, nick_d said:

Watched (on RamsTV) the Mansfield game, I know it wasn't our first X1, but was very disappointed in the way we allowed Mansfield to dominate after we scored.

Was at Pride Park today and loved the first 7-8 minutes, but then we went downhill and allowed Port Vale to dominate the rest of the game, much as Mansfield did on Tuesday.

Mitigating factors, yes the ref; After watching the Queen open Pride Park in 1997, I can't remember an away team having 2 penalties awarded to them outside of a penalty shoot-out, and I'm struggling to remember when we last had a penalty awarded against us at Pride Park.  However, how awful the ref was today (and he was appalling), what worries me is the response our current team has to any determined attacks against it.

I really hope that I am over-reacting to a disappointing loss, but I can't not ask the question:  are the current recently assembled squad who agreed to come to Derby County to play for the football Rooney and latterly Rosenior advocated, willing to play the style of football advocated by Paul Warne?

What brand of football did Rosenoir advocate playing?

Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, nick_d said:

Only time will tell. As someone mentioned before, we seem to have gone from one extreme to another in terms of style. Have we got the players to fit this new style ?

1 hour ago, nick_d said:

Well somebody needed to say it!

I was very underwhelmed by today’s performance. We scored a great goal on the break and then gave away a silly penalty. In the second half somehow managed to give away another penalty and had a player sent off.

Yes the referee was horrendous but we were very poor, ill disciplined and mostly played route one football.

Port Vale deserved to win, they were the better team and played the better football and enjoyed more possession.

Really not impressed with Warneball…

2 hours ago, nick_d said:

It was a disappointing loss, and yes we were scrappy. Yet, Warne is 10 days in to his tenure, has managed an away win. We have seen 3 goals in 2 games which on previous score cards is pretty much ok when you consider our one recognised striker got sent off, our ageing “MaGician” is injured. This game. at worst case, would have been a draw if the the three Norns appointed to run the game had been awake and / or vaguely competent. .. I don’t see any reluctance to play for the team. Some evidence of adjustment for certain, but there’s a long way to go. I’m  Peed off because if Dobbins clean shot had been a yard to the left we’d have seen Vale heads drop and it would have been a different game. 

2 hours ago, chadlad said:

I was very underwhelmed by today’s performance. We scored a great goal on the break and then gave away a silly penalty. In the second half somehow managed to give away another penalty and had a player sent off.

Yes the referee was horrendous but we were very poor, ill disciplined and mostly played route one football.

Port Vale deserved to win, they were the better team and played the better football and enjoyed more possession.

Possession was 52/48% in Derby's favour. Port Vale were a decent team, and it wasn't a good performance from us, but with a different set of officials we certainly wouldn't have lost that. 

3 hours ago, chadlad said:

Lets give Warney a chance. He's not had two weeks yet to work with the players. See where we are and how we are playing around New Year before we have his head on a spike.

I was happy to give Rosenior this season to build his team from scratch and I will be happy to give Warne the same. Promotion from this League is not guaranteed and if we are in the mix at the end of the season it will be a massive bonus. 

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Lets give Warney a chance. He's not had two weeks yet to work with the players. See where we are and how we are playing around New Year before we have his head on a spike.

I was happy to give Rosenior this season to build his team from scratch and I will be happy to give Warne the same. Promotion from this League is not guaranteed and if we are in the mix at the end of the season it will be a massive bonus. 

Of course we need to get behind the team come what may but I can’t say I am particularly happy with what I saw yesterday.

I think many fans will quickly tire of route one football, how many times did our keeper kick it to their keeper or kick it long to a Vale player or out of play? May well just give them the ball back!

As others have said, the players we have are probably not suited to this style of percentage win the 2nd ball football…

11 hours ago, chadlad said:

10 days!!!   unbelievable Jeff!!   People need to realise this season specially and perhaps next is a re build job when we can sign players properly. This is NOT a great squad

13 hours ago, nick_d said:

Its far too soon to making conclusions and the number of posters already prepared to rage against individual players is disappointing. Do we expect the players to instantly be able to switch to Warneball?

For several years we have lacked players that are physically strong and 'give as good as they get'  and admittedly these players are what are needed in this division and with Warne's style of play. But yesterday's loss would most likely have been avoided but for the sending off of Collins - one player down and missing one of the key players for the new style of play.

There's another thread on this but how many of the players we signed in the summer would have been Warnes first pick? How many would be our first pick if we weren't operating under our current constraints?

Totally agree with the decision by Clowes to give LR the role on an interim basis then move him on at this juncture, only downside of this strategy is that Warne has now come and inherited players that he may not have chosen himself if he was in place at the start of the summer. 

Going to take a few iterations of the transfer window to address that which is why presumably Warne was given a 4 year deal and why presumably we're in the league position we currently are 

10 hours ago, chadlad said:

Of course we need to get behind the team come what may but I can’t say I am particularly happy with what I saw yesterday.

I think many fans will quickly tire of route one football, how many times did our keeper kick it to their keeper or kick it long to a Vale player or out of play? May well just give them the ball back!

As others have said, the players we have are probably not suited to this style of percentage win the 2nd ball football…

Well at least its better than giving them the ball right on the edge of our area which we used to do all the time under Rosenior-ball!

12 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Well at least its better than giving them the ball right on the edge of our area which we used to do all the time under Rosenior-ball!

But is it though?

I am not suggesting that we play kami-kazi keep ball, only that we should sensibly try to retain possession because if we don’t the ball just keeps coming back and sooner or later the opposition put it in our net like they did on Saturday. You are putting the whole team under pressure to defend, a factor in giving them not one but two penalties and goals.

I don’t want Warneball to be the same as Rowettball.

23 hours ago, chadlad said:

I don’t think anybody was happy with what they saw on Saturday. The officials were poor (but we’re not ultimately responsible for our defeat), we lost the game (largely down to the correct sending off of Collins) and the team as a whole (particularly the midfield) looked out of sorts. But, it’s too early to assume that’s what we can expect for the rest of the season. I agree the football was a lot more direct than the possession based slow build up we’re used to and this sometimes meant long balls lofted into the PV defence but it wasn’t always the case.

On 08/10/2022 at 21:14, Inverurie Ram said:

I couldn’t see any of the football for all the walls that have been built.

Coaches and players far too busy umming and arghing about what photos to put up on the why wall, the win wall and let’s not bother playing any football wall, perhaps!

4EE1A503-21B1-4416-A469-5B207EBDD155.jpeg

Yep, really need to focus on the recently won trophy wall. 

wall.png

On 10/10/2022 at 08:13, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think anybody was happy with what they saw on Saturday. The officials were poor (but we’re not ultimately responsible for our defeat), we lost the game (largely down to the correct sending off of Collins) and the team as a whole (particularly the midfield) looked out of sorts. But, it’s too early to assume that’s what we can expect for the rest of the season. I agree the football was a lot more direct than the possession based slow build up we’re used to and this sometimes meant long balls lofted into the PV defence but it wasn’t always the case.

First half I agree, we played largely on the break but when we had the ball we passed it forward well, scored a superb goal and maybe should have scored 2 or 3.

In the 2nd half we were abysmal. Instead of trying to control the game by retaining the ball and playing it forward where possible, instead we hit and hoped by-passing our midfield.

Not good to watch.