Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

About 2.45pm this afternoon, I was was walking back home along the Main Road in Brailsford with my two Jack Russells after a walk across the fields. I wasn't aware that anyone was walking behind me and as I turned right to my house I was giving my dogs a bollocking in master-doggy banter because they were trying to delay me by sniffing in the grass verge. I heard the sound of laughter behind me and as I turned around while walking into the drive, I was greeted by a guy who with a friendly laugh said "Hi are you okay?"

I turned around and said "Fine thanks, hullo."

I was startled to see he had a beard, a big friendly smile, the PW Rams bobble hat and his standard Derby County training gear on. It was Paul Warne. By the time I realised who it was, he was thirty yards along the pavement and on his way. I've got a Tassimo coffee machine at home and if I'd realised in time, I'd have invited him I'm in for cuppa. Why was he alone and walking in the village at that time? I'm hoping it's because he's come to live in the village - we are only a couple of hundred yards away from Brailsford Hall which is the HQ of the Clowes estate, so it would make sense.

Anyway, I've been out and stocked up on Costa coffee pods in case he comes along again.

COYR

Theres always strange goings on round those lanes. Sure it wasn't an absconder from Sudbury having a stroll?

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Theres always strange goings on round those lanes. Sure it wasn't an absconder from Sudbury having a stroll?

The only dodgy looking character I've seen on foot in the village for many a year has been our previous owner but he's not shown his face for 14 months when he filed for administration ?

12 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

After watching the game v Newport , I have come to the conclusion that Warne and his team have been working with Sibley and Bird on using their right foot more. Both look more comfortable and Sibley strikes the ball very cleanly with his left but his goal was a gem.

Bird had been working on his right foot since Lampard was here, if not earlier.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

After watching the game v Newport , I have come to the conclusion that Warne and his team have been working with Sibley and Bird on using their right foot more. Both look more comfortable and Sibley strikes the ball very cleanly with his left but his goal was a gem.

There was a quote in the pre match interview with Warne (I think) about working with one of the midfielder’s to score more goals with both feet 

I quite like Warne’s football.  Yes, there’s the odd hoof out of defence when we’re under pressure but I’d rather that than trying to overplay and get caught out.  We move the ball quickly and try to keep it simple.  We look for a forward pass but not always and aren’t afraid to go sideways or backwards if necessary.  Key being if necessary.  Over the last couple of seasons it’s felt like that’s the first option.  We pass the ball in front of players, especially out wide meaning they don’t have to check their run allowing the defence to regroup.

Naturally he started to play 3-5-2, it’s what he knows and has played for the last 5 or 6 years.  But he’s not afraid to change it.  I like the fact he recognised that during the game on Saturday.  You could argue why start like that, but the flip side is it worked well against Portsmouth.

Yes, he does things fans won’t like.  I’d like 1 or 2 men on the half-way line when defending a corner, sometimes we do go long a bit too often when we could do with a foot on the ball to slow it down.  But that’s the case with every manager.  I hated the silly goal kick routine under LR, over passing and he also never put a man on the half way line.  It’ll be the same for others.

One difference is though, I don’t feel nervous when we go a goal down.  I always think we can score and it’s not been like that for a few seasons.

If Warne can get a few players in over the next 2 or 3 windows and have a full pre-season with them I think he could prove to be a very astute appointment.

Warne in some ways is exactly what I expected, but in others exactly the opposite. I don't think he's a manager that the purist would enjoy, but he's entire style isn't predicated on short or long ball, but creating opportunities. I thought under Rosenior that we were controlled but lacked ingenuity. Warne embraces chaos which naturally creates confusion and opportunity. 

Warne probably isn't too dissimilar in his approach to Billy Davies, tactically, but is quirky rather than narcissistic. 

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Warne in some ways is exactly what I expected, but in others exactly the opposite. I don't think he's a manager that the purist would enjoy, but he's entire style isn't predicated on short or long ball, but creating opportunities. I thought under Rosenior that we were controlled but lacked ingenuity. Warne embraces chaos which naturally creates confusion and opportunity. 

Warne probably isn't too dissimilar in his approach to Billy Davies, tactically, but is quirky rather than narcissistic. 

For me it's so refreshing to have a simple approach again. Regardless of formation, it's get the ball forward and out wide as quickly as possible, then put good crosses into the box for our two strikers to get on the end of to score. Football is as simple or as difficult as you like. There's so many stats and analytics nowadays it's hard to keep track of what's what. But at the end of the day, the scoreline is the only one of importance. You win trophies and medals for the winning games by scoring the most goals in a match, not how many passes or blades of grass you have. 

In the last 6 years we've seen Leicester win the Premier League, Leeds establishing themselves there and Forest getting promoted into it. Where are we? In fricking League One. I don't care how Derby score, or how Derby win. As long as we are successful and storm up the leagues, that's all what matters to me.

Leicester finished a whole ten points clear at the top of the Premier League, reached the quarter finals of the Champions League narrowly losing 2-1 on aggregate to Atletico Madrid. Since then, they've won their group in the Europa League before getting knocked out, won the FA Cup, won the Community Shield and lost narrowly 2-1 on aggregate to Roma in the semi finals of Europa Conference League.

Is anyone mad enough to think Leicester fans would change that history for a team that made the most passes in their own half or similar? They have a top quality striker in Vardy and made a tactic to fit around him to allow him to score the most. We have Collins and McGoldrick, two of the best strikers in the league, they've shown they can score if given half a chance. So let's get the ball wide forward and get the crosses into them to score. Football is a simple game.

16 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

For me it's so refreshing to have a simple approach again. Regardless of formation, it's get the ball forward and out wide as quickly as possible, then put good crosses into the box for our two strikers to get on the end of to score.

It's a simple philosophy but is it actually a successful one?   I wouldn't say we have scored many goals from crosses into the box since Warne has been here and it's not really how I consider successful teams score their goals, certainly not at the higher level.  May well work for League One though.

20 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

For me it's so refreshing to have a simple approach again. Regardless of formation, it's get the ball forward and out wide as quickly as possible, then put good crosses into the box for our two strikers to get on the end of to score. Football is as simple or as difficult as you like. There's so many stats and analytics nowadays it's hard to keep track of what's what. But at the end of the day, the scoreline is the only one of importance. You win trophies and medals for the winning games by scoring the most goals in a match, not how many passes or blades of grass you have. 

In the last 6 years we've seen Leicester win the Premier League, Leeds establishing themselves there and Forest getting promoted into it. Where are we? In fricking League One. I don't care how Derby score, or how Derby win. As long as we are successful and storm up the leagues, that's all what matters to me.

Leicester finished a whole ten points clear at the top of the Premier League, reached the quarter finals of the Champions League narrowly losing 2-1 on aggregate to Atletico Madrid. Since then, they've won their group in the Europa League before getting knocked out, won the FA Cup, won the Community Shield and lost narrowly 2-1 on aggregate to Roma in the semi finals of Europa Conference League.

Is anyone mad enough to think Leicester fans would change that history for a team that made the most passes in their own half or similar? They have a top quality striker in Vardy and made a tactic to fit around him to allow him to score the most. We have Collins and McGoldrick, two of the best strikers in the league, they've shown they can score if given half a chance. So let's get the ball wide forward and get the crosses into them to score. Football is a simple game.

Have not checked the stats but it certainly feels like we are scoring more under warne , in games I feel like we can and will get goals with the emphasis on scoring where as for a long time and under rosenior scoring didn’t seem to be the main priority 

18 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

It's a simple philosophy but is it actually a successful one?   I wouldn't say we have scored many goals from crosses into the box since Warne has been here and it's not really how I consider successful teams score their goals, certainly not at the higher level.  May well work for League One though.

18 minutes ago, Archied said:

Have not checked the stats but it certainly feels like we are scoring more under warne , in games I feel like we can and will get goals with the emphasis on scoring where as for a long time and under rosenior scoring didn’t seem to be the main priority 

Whether we're scoring more or not, the amount of "suicidal" football we were playing under Rosenior has been pretty much all cut out. I don't go through games having heart attacks every other second with the ball plodding around the backline and goalkeeper.

Edited by Ram@Lincoln

19 minutes ago, Archied said:

It does feel like we’re carrying a goal threat again as a side, which is refreshing after the way the last few years have been. I liked the fight we showed under Rooney/Rosenior in desperate desperate times, it’s clear they had a philosophy of sorts, but we were so limited in attack due to the hamstringing circumstances of administration, and again I’m not attacking the efforts and character of CKR, Plange, Ebiowei, Waghorn, Gregory, Lawrence etc. Just my general observation that it feels more likely we will score in games at the moment than it did for a couple of years. ? 

• 3 weeks later...

12 league games in charge

5 wins, 5 draws, 2 losses - equivalent to 77 points over a season

Scored 19 Conceded 8 - goal difference +11

Plus Warne has had injuries to Davies, Chester, Knight, Barkhuizen & Mendez-Laing - & Collins suspended for 3 games. Cashin & Hourihane suspended for 1 game

& only 5 of those 12 games were at home

Edited by SamUltraRam

4 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

12 league games in charge

5 wins, 5 draws, 2 losses - equivalent to 77 points over a season

Scored 19 Conceded 8 - goal difference +11

Plus Warne has had injuries to Davies, Chester, Knight, Barkhuizen & Mendez-Laing - & Collins suspended for 3 games. Cashin & Hourihane suspended for 1 game

& only 5 of those 12 games were at home

I guess this was supposed to be a supportive post, but 20 points from 12 games is pretty average in a league of limited quality. Hopefully he will have us firing come season end when we need some playoff success.

57 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I guess this was supposed to be a supportive post, but 20 points from 12 games is pretty average in a league of limited quality. Hopefully he will have us firing come season end when we need some playoff success.

You're not wrong in what you say, but it does lack context. He had to put across a pretty different style of play and get used to the squad and players we have available. We are seeing continual improvement. For me, it's a pretty good start for a manager at a new club.