Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

13 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Good to hear him calling out some of the concerns that arose regarding his approach in certain corners of our fan base as things he’s learned from. Saying he now knows we need a bigger a squad, that he stuck with players out of form and should have been more ruthless, and should have made subs more proactively is quite telling. For those who hold their concerns with Warne hopefully that is him seeing his own faults and next season we’ll see that he’s learned from the experience of this season and improve on those areas. 

I thought that bit was referring to in game management. Ie a player having a bad day should have been brought off earlier, rather than expecting him to suddenly have a magic moment

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought that bit was referring to in game management. Ie a player having a bad day should have been brought off earlier, rather than expecting him to suddenly have a magic moment

You may be right. I can’t remember the wording but I took it as he left players in the squad/starting side when really he should have changed things up. 
Either way it’s good to hear him acknowledge the points fans observed as an issue, hopefully we’ll see him change it for the better.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

17 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Interesting take home 

x2 players already in the pipe line and being shown around 

Warne off to conference play off final I’d like to think it could be Langstaff , Rodrigues  maybe Scott too 

“Already in the pipeline” sort of implies (in my mind anyway) that they’re on their way to Derby. This may not necessarily be the case. I think he was talking about showing them around and tempting them to choose Derby above any other offers they may receive. This is just my take on that element of the interview in case anyone starts getting their underwear in a tangle wondering what’s happened to these two if the deals don’t come off.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

"10s and a 9". I'm assuming this means 2 wingers (where Sibely and Mendez-Laing were playing) and stronger competition for McGoldrick with Collins acting as 3rd choice CF

Also mentioned replacements for those we may sell 

On 12/05/2023 at 18:10, RoyMac5 said:

"...Warne was asked for his reflections on the season in a wide-ranging interview with Rams TV and what lessons could be learned after suffering last-day heartache.

And he pointed to the January window as one of the key factors after Derby only added midfielder Harvey White, winger Tony Springett and goalkeeper Luke McGee to the squad.

"We do reviews after every single game," he said. "I watch every minute back from every different angle and we present it to the lads every week so we're constantly learning. "I got loads wrong but those things were always done from the right point. Although I'm disappointed with the outcome of the season, the work everyone put in behind the scenes to try and make us successful has been amazing. I don't have any regrets because all the decisions we made were with the best intentions.

"I think what I've learned is we probably needed a little bit more in January to get us over the line. We were a little bit too dependent on certain players and we had around six players that played over 50 games. When you've only got a squad of 20, that's a lot. Maybe at times, I stuck with certain players in the hope that it would come good in games when realistically I possibly could have been more ruthless. I've learned, definitely, that all the staff that we've inherited and kept are excellent at their jobs and are fully committed to the cause.

I think we're a pretty good fit for this football club. We're really settled, we enjoy everything we do."

Derby will hope to be among the runners and riders again next year and will at least have a full pre-season to prepare having only had four weeks to get ready for the start of the season.

..."I said that it would be a failure from my point of view if we weren't successful and got at least into the playoffs, so I feel disappointed that we didn't do it," he said. "It wasn't the last game against Sheffield Wednesday why we didn't get there, it was the points we dropped against the likes of Bristol Rovers and MK Dons recently and that's fundamentally what we need to get better at."

On 08/05/2023 at 11:48, Oldben said:

Sky Sports presenter Jeff Stelling has urged Derby County to stick with Paul Warne after missing out on the League One play-offs.

He’s a beacon of wisdom and propriety earning millions (millions) using his profile to skilfully promote the nefarious sports betting sector. We should follow his lead 

On 08/05/2023 at 09:35, Caerphilly Ram said:

This point in isolation. Byrne deserves some strong unpleasantries for how he left the club, however

Going to stick up for him. He’s surrounded by family, friends and a greedy agent who are saying ‘div 1 footie is not for you’. The TUPE malarkey was unseemly but their careers are short and we shouldn’t hold them to the standards we apply to archbishops.  (Or other spiritual leaders)

I loved his doggedness. Most of all I just loved the way he kicked the ball - that piercing flight up the line - like Sergio Garcia stunning a 5 iron - in behind, over and around the defender,  leaving the lino knowing the ball probably went out but reluctant to intrude on the artistry. Unfortunately it all too often ended with Joz performing pirouettes for the corner flag and the frustrated occupants of the pedigree suite.

dimitte illi 

Richard Keogh, on the other hand ...

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

"...Warne was asked for his reflections on the season in a wide-ranging interview with Rams TV and what lessons could be learned after suffering last-day heartache.

And he pointed to the January window as one of the key factors after Derby only added midfielder Harvey White, winger Tony Springett and goalkeeper Luke McGee to the squad.

"We do reviews after every single game," he said. "I watch every minute back from every different angle and we present it to the lads every week so we're constantly learning. "I got loads wrong but those things were always done from the right point. Although I'm disappointed with the outcome of the season, the work everyone put in behind the scenes to try and make us successful has been amazing. I don't have any regrets because all the decisions we made were with the best intentions.

"I think what I've learned is we probably needed a little bit more in January to get us over the line. We were a little bit too dependent on certain players and we had around six players that played over 50 games. When you've only got a squad of 20, that's a lot. Maybe at times, I stuck with certain players in the hope that it would come good in games when realistically I possibly could have been more ruthless. I've learned, definitely, that all the staff that we've inherited and kept are excellent at their jobs and are fully committed to the cause.

I think we're a pretty good fit for this football club. We're really settled, we enjoy everything we do."

Derby will hope to be among the runners and riders again next year and will at least have a full pre-season to prepare having only had four weeks to get ready for the start of the season.

..."I said that it would be a failure from my point of view if we weren't successful and got at least into the playoffs, so I feel disappointed that we didn't do it," he said. "It wasn't the last game against Sheffield Wednesday why we didn't get there, it was the points we dropped against the likes of Bristol Rovers and MK Dons recently and that's fundamentally what we need to get better at."

I know studio lighting and shiny bald heads don’t go well together. But wearing hats inside ...? 

5 Tips for Lighting Bald People

Use Anti-Glare or De-Shine Powder to Avoid Head Glare. Get hold of some anti-glare powder and use it to put onto the skin, removing unwanted highlights from the shot. ... 

Check Your Head Exposure. ... 

Lower Your Key Light. ... 

Reduce or Remove Hair Lights. ... 

Think About Background Lights.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Going to stick up for him. He’s surrounded by family, friends and a greedy agent who are saying ‘div 1 footie is not for you’. The TUPE malarkey was unseemly but their careers are short and we shouldn’t hold them to the standards we apply to archbishops.  (Or other spiritual leaders)

I loved his doggedness. Most of all I just loved the way he kicked the ball - that piercing flight up the line - like Sergio Garcia stunning a 5 iron - in behind, over and around the defender,  leaving the lino knowing the ball probably went out but reluctant to intrude on the artistry. Unfortunately it all too often ended with Joz performing pirouettes for the corner flag and the frustrated occupants of the pedigree suite.

dimitte illi 

He's a rat who cheated the club at our lowest point. Don't bother sticking up for him. 

28 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He's a rat who cheated the club at our lowest point. Don't bother sticking up for him. 

@kevinhectoring

Think the biggest issue with Byrne, is the way he went out the back door after being part of the squad that showed togetherness with the fans. He should've stuck around and if he so wished, informed LR of his intention and got us a few hundred thousand for the inconvenience. 

To add insult to injury, he's ended up going to a dead league and hardly featuring. Such a waste. 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

dimitte illi 

He can balls.  Filthy turncoat.  Hope he's enjoying the fizzy pop league as he obviously thought he'd get better.  His penance for being a w***** is another 3 years with the pirouetting Joz.  What's the chances hey.

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He can balls.  Filthy turncoat.  Hope he's enjoying the fizzy pop league as he obviously thought he'd get better.  His penance for being a w***** is another 3 years with the pirouetting Joz.  What's the chances hey.

Curtis the Lionheart sat in an office in Pride Park last week - steadily pumping black and white blood through his veins - to be told by a man in a bobble hat that (his loyalty to the club was appreciated but that) his contractual relationship with the club is transactional. And err terminated 

Byrne left absolutely nothing out on the pitch - except the remembrance of beautiful crosses, mostly squandered in a vacuum left by Chris Martin. But his relationship with the club was transactional.  Fair enough 

On 08/05/2023 at 18:33, RoyMac5 said:

Yet Warne continued to start NML, even starting him in a non-winger slot so his brain had to work harder too! The goals started coming from Barks and he got dropped, Sibs showed he could but had few chances (thought he looked poor yesterday though, maybe injured?). Kept relying on Dobbin who couldn't hit a cow's botty with a banjo! Hourihane seemed to get into the box less but yesterday showed he was 'tired' as he had a generally good game.

The managing of the players was in question as far as I'm concerned. He spent too long trying to shoe-horn players into his favourite system and not enough getting the best out of the way they could play cf long unbeaten run!

If Lampard and Rowett have to take the blame for our failures then so does Warne.

Agree with all this, Warne’s determination to  play players out of position instead of finding the best system for the talent at his disposal did not help us. Credit to some of the players who gave it such a good shot, especially Sibley

You mention NML - yes, management of the elderly was also an issue. Some of the more prescient on here said at the beginning of the season that skilful rotation of the older players was going to be key. There are two points and this Warne doesn’t get.  First is fatigue obviously.  Second is just as important : if you have senior players whom you might need later on in the season, you have to find a way to keep them match fit. Otherwise they slow, lose touch and confidence,  and make errors. 

In Warne’s defence, perhaps Chester’s injury was a defining point of the season and may have fuelled his dogged resistance to play 3 at the back which IMO was ultimately our best set up. 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

I do recall that Jim Smith ‘on the other hand’ sported his shiny pate without bobble hat, baker boy or compunction. Just sayin’

Did a bobble hat touch you as a child?