Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

22 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

...But I do go to football to be entertained if at all possible (not sure why you find the concept of “entertainment” rubbish?) And yes I do pay to watch them and always will as a season ticket holder…good bad or ugly.

I would like say to suggest that I am led by “neutral media” is somewhat patronising, like I am some brainless moron.  So thanks for that.

As a matter of note I was happy enough with the result yesterday, a valuable away point at a decent rival…

You misunderstood my point. If I wanted to insult you I would have been much clearer. ?

The 'neutral' media sell football as entertainment. They don't support one team (well you know, not supposedly). They would have wanted goals above all else yesterday, not bothered who won. They always have difficulty selling nil-nil's. Overall (especially this season) I couldn't care about 'entertainment' and I would have been happy with an 'ugly' three points, as for me winning is the entertainment goal.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You misunderstood my point. If I wanted to insult you I would have been much clearer. ?

The 'neutral' media sell football as entertainment. They don't support one team (well you know, not supposedly). They would have wanted goals above all else yesterday, not bothered who won. They always have difficulty selling nil-nil's. Overall (especially this season) I couldn't care about 'entertainment' and I would have been happy with an 'ugly' three points, as for me winning is the entertainment goal.

Thanks for the clarification of your method of insulting people.  That reasoning makes it all right to make clumsy and thoughtless comments I suppose.

i don’t need to be sold anything.  I make my own mind up.  Not everyone shares your entrainment goals, I like to see good entertaining football.  The great tackles, a swift interchange of passes, the beautiful cross field pass that as a less than average player I could only dream of….  But like I said I can forgo that for the time being to get out of this s**** hole of a league.

3 points is the meat and gravy, the entertainment is the roast spuds, pigs in blankets and everything else that makes the tasty overall and less boring meal…

6 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Thanks for the clarification of your method of insulting people.  That reasoning makes it all right to make clumsy and thoughtless comments I suppose.

You are seeing things.

I had NO intention of insulting you. As I said I was talking about the 'neutral' media.

It is a work in progress with Warne. We were never going to be the finished article and playing champagne football after 20 games.

When you consider the level of injuries and suspensions we have had and how stretched the squad has been and continues to be, Warne is getting a lot right. 

Of course, it isn’t perfect. We are drawing a large proportion of our games and the style of play can be frustrating to watch when it doesn’t work.

But there are some good signs and there is plenty to build on as we move into 2023. If we can make a few tweaks in January, we’re in a really good place to kick on.

3 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

But there’s no structure to it, no organisation, it’s just whatever happens to happen at random.  We aren’t setting out to achieve anything specific. With Collins in the team, we should be putting crosses in all game, that’s basically what he’s there for.  But we don’t, we spend a bunch of time lumping big balls over the top for nobody, a load of time playing balls up to McGoldrick’s head, and so on.  There doesn’t seem to be any thought put into what players are actually good at, and how to get them doing that stuff as often as possible.

Wow, why over-complicate thing so much? Surely “just win the game” will do? ?

It often appears this way when a team is in transition. For example, when we went from Lampard to Cocu, the emphasis went on keeping possession. It manifested as keeping the ball at all costs, often looking like ponderous passing for the sake of it. It takes ages for players to adapt when they're used to playing one way.

It's the same issue but in reverse now - we've gone from Rosenior's way of playing out of trouble (often trouble created on purpose) and patient build-up play to high intensity, direct passing in behind and counter-attacking play. At the moment, it's not fine-tuned and it's very rushed.

I was against the appointment (and still am to some extent) for this very reason. It's not about one style of play being more effective than the other, but why we decided to rip it all up and go with a manager who plays a different style. And that's before you get into the fact that the academy sides have to adapt now too. If it's going to be a proper success, it will take time and it's remarkable that we're still hoovering up points while it's happening.

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

It often appears this way when a team is in transition. For example, when we went from Lampard to Cocu, the emphasis went on keeping possession. It manifested as keeping the ball at all costs, often looking like ponderous passing for the sake of it. It takes ages for players to adapt when they're used to playing one way.

It's the same issue but in reverse now - we've gone from Rosenior's way of playing out of trouble (often trouble created on purpose) and patient build-up play to high intensity, direct passing in behind and counter-attacking play. At the moment, it's not fine-tuned and it's very rushed.

I was against the appointment (and still am to some extent) for this very reason. It's not about one style of play being more effective than the other, but why we decided to rip it all up and go with a manager who plays a different style. And that's before you get into the fact that the academy sides have to adapt now too. If it's going to be a proper success, it will take time and it's remarkable that we're still hoovering up points while it's happening.

Mismatch of style v squad and effect on the Academy are exactly the reasons why I wasn't in favour of the appointment. I suspect the fine tuning is less to do with the system than it is with the players he has at his disposal - pressing & getting the ball into the box isn't a difficult concept, certainly not in relation to implementing a more progressive style of play. The reality is some of our players are not suited & until he gets the 'right' personnel in, we will remain in transition - I think the tempo will always be frenetic/rushed because of the style. I also have concerns about how effective that style is at a higher level given it is functional & easily replicated (I accept some wouldn't care so long as we get promoted soon) - any differentiation will be with quality of player which won't be cheap.

With regard to picking up points during the transitional period, these have mostly been against bottom 6 sides. League One has started to broadly evolve into a 3 tier league - big ex-Premier/Championship teams, well run smaller clubs on the rise & struggling small clubs hoping to hang on at this level. Our quality against that latter group has been able to bludgeon results so far - the question is whether that success can be replicated against sides further up the division as we won't finish top 6 without being able to beat some sides in the top half.

4 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Mismatch of style v squad and effect on the Academy are exactly the reasons why I wasn't in favour of the appointment. I suspect the fine tuning is less to do with the system than it is with the players he has at his disposal - pressing & getting the ball into the box isn't a difficult concept, certainly not in relation to implementing a more progressive style of play. The reality is some of our players are not suited & until he gets the 'right' personnel in, we will remain in transition - I think the tempo will always be frenetic/rushed because of the style. I also have concerns about how effective that style is at a higher level given it is functional & easily replicated (I accept some wouldn't care so long as we get promoted soon) - any differentiation will be with quality of player which won't be cheap.

With regard to picking up points during the transitional period, these have mostly been against bottom 6 sides. League One has started to broadly evolve into a 3 tier league - big ex-Premier/Championship teams, well run smaller clubs on the rise & struggling small clubs hoping to hang on at this level. Our quality against that latter group has been able to bludgeon results so far - the question is whether that success can be replicated against sides further up the division as we won't finish top 6 without being able to beat some sides in the top half.

Our record against the top 7 clubs is 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats, so we can beat some of them.

9 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Our record against the top 7 clubs is 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats, so we can beat some of them.

None of those wins were under Warne. Before anyone starts, however, that isn't to say we wouldn't have won those games playing Warne's way.

As things stands the teams we've beaten under Warne are those currently residing in 10th, 19th, 20th, 21st & 22nd

Draws against those currently in 3rd, 5th, 11th, 13th, 23rd & 24th

Defeats Vs 2nd & 9th ONLY.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

We are doing ALL of those except holding the ball up front, although we even do that with Didzy. Collins should have scored the header from in the box. Barks running at them should have won a penalty. Max had a really good 1st half breaking their play up.

We have a plan - get the ball forward and try and score. As opposed to keep possession until you think you've worked an opportunity.

Dribbles and crosses. I agreee with you on both of these. We're actually the top for attempted dribbled and crosses in the league (2nd for most successful dribbles and 3rd for successful crosses).

However, we absolutely are not controlling the midfield, because they're being instructed to get the ball forward with a high risk of giving it away.

It’s the lack of control in midfield that is hurting us sometimes in away games particularly. I think we dominate the midfield more at home but away we do give the ball away a lot. At times through carelessness which is down to the players but also it’s a clear tactic to play forward, which is good and should be Applauded but often when the ball is cleared we’re not winning the second balls to then sustain pressure so it comes straight back. With time and some tweaks it should come right but what’s really impressing me is how solid we’re looking defensively and despite not controlling games while we’re not scoring away we’re looking threatening. The draws we’re getting are winning draws where we’ve edged the games or at least matched the opposition, this hopefully means with some tweaks the draws are more likely to turn into wins and then we will be in a really good place.

I'm no fan of possession for possessions sake but there are times in games where getting your foot on the ball, keeping it away from the opposition and taking the sting out of the game are vital and we don't appear to attempt this at all.  Whether that comes from the coaching staff or is just the players interpretation of what the coaches want I don't know but it is definitely something we need to improve.  

9 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

None of those wins were under Warne. Before anyone starts, however, that isn't to say we wouldn't have won those games playing Warne's way.

As things stands the teams we've beaten under Warne are those currently residing in 10th, 19th, 20th, 21st & 22nd

Draws against those currently in 3rd, 5th, 11th, 13th, 23rd & 24th

Defeats Vs 2nd & 9th ONLY.

As you imply, it’s pretty pointless trying to do a comparison pre and post Warne. Who is to say we wouldn’t also have beaten Barnsley and Wycombe under Warne? Maybe we wouldn’t have lost to Port Vale and Plymouth. Maybe our record since his arrival would have been worse if Warne hadn’t been appointed. Maybe it would have been better. It really is impossible to know what “might have been”.

Please, Please take this negative and pathetic 100 pages of basically anti the manager down.

LR as gone along with his outstanding away record, his games in charge this season he had no injuries or suspensions to deal with of note, whilst Warne had 6 injuries overlapping each other, from a paper thin squad, so where we are 6th in the table is outstanding and he knows all about L1 so get behind him for he is our future, if we achieve promotion on here they will stiil be pulling him down.

Sheffield United took 6/7 years to get out of L1, Sunderland 4 years, how long have Ipswich been in L1 3/4 years, very few teams have made promotion in their first season, so we are in a very good position at this stage of the season. COYR.

On 27/12/2022 at 21:27, RoyMac5 said:

How would that have worked today, what would you have done differently?

Bit late in responding - but generally I’d try and do the following:

1) I’d try and play the ball through Bird and CH a little more than what we are doing currently. Ask the defenders to look for them about 20-30% more than what we are doing and try and find the pockets of space.

2) I’d stop playing Smith at RB who offers very little offensively and put someone whose prepared to overlap NML (Knight) into the team.

3) I’d be trying to find Collins feet and ask him to show for it more rather than trying to find his head.

4) I would like to see us have 10% more possession by retaining it a little more often. This takes the pressure of the defence a little more.

It’s real gritty football, it’s league one football. I can absolutely see why Warne can get teams out of this league but likewise I absolutely see nothing to suggest he will ever go beyond the Championship. This style of play in the Championship for me has relegation all over it.

I also fear the fans will get tired of it soon.

4 hours ago, SirBrian said:

Please, Please take this negative and pathetic 100 pages of basically anti the manager down.

LR as gone along with his outstanding away record, his games in charge this season he had no injuries or suspensions to deal with of note, whilst Warne had 6 injuries overlapping each other, from a paper thin squad, so where we are 6th in the table is outstanding and he knows all about L1 so get behind him for he is our future, if we achieve promotion on here they will stiil be pulling him down.

Sheffield United took 6/7 years to get out of L1, Sunderland 4 years, how long have Ipswich been in L1 3/4 years, very few teams have made promotion in their first season, so we are in a very good position at this stage of the season. COYR.

No chance of that happening. If you look back through the thread you will see a lot of support for Warne . I have been very impressed with him as a person.