Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

30 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

beginning to think we missed a trick by not getting him as soon as Rooney walked away.

As as nice as that would've been, the club was still a basket case then, and Mr Warne doesn't strike me a foolish enough individual to leave a stably run club to come to the mongolian cluster***k we were at the time

1 hour ago, littleover ram said:

Don’t want to criticise Clowes with what he’s done, but shouldn’t Warne have been appointed sooner if that was always the route he was going down?

seems like we wasted some games with Rosenoir and getting the players up to speed with Warneball.

That gap to the top 2 is probably too much now and if we don’t go up I expect we’ll lose Knight, Bird, old players another year older…

I work with someone who lives near Warne and although he doesn’t know PW he says he talks to some people who do and he claims Warne was asked to come earlier but he held back to stop with the team that he got up.

5 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I work with someone who lives near Warne and although he doesn’t know PW he says he talks to some people who do and he claims Warne was asked to come earlier but he held back to stop with the team that he got up.

Yes, I think DC actually explained in a roundabout way that it hadn't been possible to get him in earlier, but didn't elaborate for obvious reasons.

I do wonder if some fans have forgotten that, even at the start of the season, DC still had payments to make to creditors including HMRC. Paying compensation for Warne before that was resolved would have been unthinkable.

I think the three days off before the West Ham match sounds excellent man management. Warne saying stuff like:

"They need it. They're physically beat really. That gives us two days prep to go into a game not as a favourite I think ... to keep pulling out performances game on game is mentally tough. And I just think they can go into the West Ham game whoever I select and enjoy it for what it is."

From the DT piece: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-warnes-brilliant-derby-county-8070766

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Are you being serious?

Clowes had literally only just got his feet under the table and needed to assess where the whole club was before making decisions. If anything, he acted quicker than most thought he would. 

And that gap is 8 points if we win our game in hand and still have to play them. Take a look at both fixtures and tell me by the time we play Plymouth we couldn't overtake them. 

it is a pure hindsight opinion.

there was lots of critique on here and from myself included that clowes acted too quick to get rid of LR. 

doesnt matter, PW is doing a great job at the minute so it proved to be the right decision.

10 minutes ago, alram said:

it is a pure hindsight opinion.

there was lots of critique on here and from myself included that clowes acted too quick to get rid of LR. 

doesnt matter, PW is doing a great job at the minute so it proved to be the right decision.

Lol, you sound like you're waiting for something.

How could Clowes have acted any faster in getting rid of LR that would have made you happy? The faster the better but it's still too quick? ?

Edited by RoyMac5

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How could Clowes have acted any faster in getting rid of LR that would have made you happy? The faster the better but it's still too quick? ?

i said i thought he acted too fast, not that he should have sacked him quicker.

I’ve been surprised by Paul Warne. I thought he would have been too stubborn and stuck to the three at the back which clearly didn’t suit our players.

His flexibility has been impressive and while the football isn’t always pretty, it’s proving effective and the players all appear to be happy putting in the hard yards.

We won’t lose too many games between now and the end of the season. And I’d imagine the other clubs will want to avoid us in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I heard the same - he turned us down ! 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, but this 'section' of the thread was about should Clowes have got Warney in sooner.

Perhaps he wanted to but couldnt and perhaps LR was key to getting in our wonderful bunch of misfits and perhaps getting others to stay. If manager change over summer who would have signed perhaps? Also he seemed willing to give LR a chance. Anyway we cant change it. Clowes and Warne seemed to show their integrity in the process and Warne has totally won me over- absolutely love him. What will be will be. The joy of of even discussing this compared to where we were..........

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Made the decision on a high speed train?

49 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’ve been surprised by Paul Warne. I thought he would have been too stubborn and stuck to the three at the back which clearly didn’t suit our players.

His flexibility has been impressive and while the football isn’t always pretty, it’s proving effective and the players all appear to be happy putting in the hard yards.

We won’t lose too many games between now and the end of the season. And I’d imagine the other clubs will want to avoid us in the playoffs.

Bris whilst typing this post

Angry Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

When Rosenior was appointed didn’t the club make clear in announcements that he was in charge for the interim until Clowes had chance to fully assess the team/league/management etc. 

Seems to me that he used that time wisely to look into the type of manager needed and how possible it would be. Not sure bringing anyone in earlier would have been a good move, the appointment of Warne dealt with all our weaknesses at this level-fitness, the inability to adapt to lower league football in both attack and defence and the all round ability to stick a ball between two sticks and a net.

We'll never know how the summer would've gone had we brought him in at that point, but I do think LR deserves credit for getting the squad together and carrying the burden for that transition.

Personally I think we wouldn't have got the more eye catching signings we did, but, we'd probably have got some ok players who fit when Warne wants.