Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

But it wasn't working for large parts of the games. Edit: although the stats say otherwise, lol.

How do you know how Warne will utilise them? Plus how long will we have 'sufficient quality' at this level if we don't go up asap?

I don't and never made an assumption on that front. I merely said I hoped he would utilise their skills, which I would say are of a higher technical ability than he may have had at Rotherham.

And to the second question, the majority of new signings are on 2 year contracts. The existing footballing talent e.g. Bird, Knight, Sibley and Cashin will be here much less if their footballing ability it's being bypassed in favour of percentage football (would be my guess) but if we are top of the league and grinding out 1-0 wins then perhaps we would keep them longer?

Time will tell. I hope he can get us into the right balance of playing nice stuff and getting results.

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Playing style may have featured prominently but I don’t think we should be staggered if it didn’t. It’s quite possible he was focused mostly on getting a professional, experienced management team with a record of getting out of div 1. 

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a detailed conversation about 'how' he will set out to achieve both short and long term success. I've no doubt DC would want to know how PW will get us out of L1 but I would be amazed if there wasn't a conversation about how we then kick on. That would have to cover playing style and philosophy.

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Playing style may have featured prominently but I don’t think we should be staggered if it didn’t. It’s quite possible he was focused mostly on getting a professional, experienced management team with a record of getting out of div 1. 

Maybe it went down like this...

DC: Thanks for coming in to see us Paul. Perhaps you could start out by telling us what you hope to achieve in the next 12 months.

PW: I'm going to get Derby promoted Dave.

DC: Wow that's great. Can you tell us how you're going to go about that?

PW: Trust me, I just will.

DC: I've just invested £50m+ in this. That's good enough for me...

Welcome aboard!

30 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a detailed conversation about 'how' he will set out to achieve both short and long term success. I've no doubt DC would want to know how PW will get us out of L1 but I would be amazed if there wasn't a conversation about how we then kick on. That would have to cover playing style and philosophy.

The conversation would be something like this.

DC...You're Paul Warne aren't you

PW...Yes

DC...Fancy a 4 year deal working for me at Derby County

PW...I'll have some of that.

DC...Sign here.

PW...Done, When do you want me to start.

DC...Once we've found out what your philosophy and playing style is all about. 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think his ideal will be to sell the club when we go up, not least because he’s conscious of the risk involved in club ownership.

7 hours ago, angieram said:

You keep repeating that you think he'll be looking to sell the club quickly, but this is the exact opposite of what he told the SCG on Thursday evening. 

giphy.gif

its been an interesting "slog" reading all th3 way through this thread. There is a mix of subjective opinion and conjecture with some info gleaned from those who have connections with Rotherham and/or Mr Warne, with less of the latter! But what that "informed" info says is that we will more than likely be getting the ball up the pitch faster, and will press the opposition to force mistakes and to win the ball back. Which is exactly what we saw other teams do to us time and time again, and what we actually wanted Liam to get us doing! To quote an old song this is "Just what we've always wanted"!

Re the style we will be leaving behind - Our chuckle brothers football did, at times work well because it did draw the opposition out from their own half, and therefore did create space for us to play into, when we finally got round to it. The drop off in performance is because teams learned quite quickly to set their players high up the pitch and press us into making mistakes, so we couldn't find a way out. 

I am quietly optimistic about our future. What's the chances of him bringing a few better refs with him so my voice and throat can get a bit of a rest?

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

giphy.gif

Honestly, being trolled by you on this forum  is like being attacked in the park by a blind, 16 year old demented Chihuahua that’s lost its sense of smell. How can you kick it away without hurting it  ? 

Butt into someone else’s conversation if you want but at least read it and do your best to understand it. That’s not much to ask 

Some questions for you (buddy, mate, pal, feller, whichever daily-mail-inspired salutation you prefer):

- do you know what ‘flipping’ means, to anyone who works in real estate ?

- do you understand why it’s relevant that DC’s comment on his likely tenure as owner was in response to a direct question (errr which needed somehow to be answered)  ?

Your great buddy, pal and mate, that lovely fella brailsford ram promised us in one of his constabulary sermons that DC would ‘flip’ the club. That’s not what I’m suggesting. (And he shows no sign of doing that, by the way.)  I’m suggesting instead that he begins to get altitude sickness in the championship and - as the fans’ inevitable clamour for promotion to the PL reaches a crescendo -  he gets a nosebleed; and that he’s got the good sense to get out whilst the going’s good. (But he might keep the stadium, oooooh !!! ) 

It’s just opinion my dear friend. It’s what forums are for. If you disagree, just say why. And, oh, I might be wrong  ? 

woof woof 

KH  x

PS If you can muster a reply, I’d like iambic pentameter please 

37 minutes ago, Oldben said:

"I want my team to have a real emotional intelligence. They do care about each other and they should care about me, I believe. As a manager they should want to do well for me.

I’ve told them about my family, my kids, what they mean to me. My father is not very well at the moment, bless him, he’s on the way out. Life is short and football careers are even shorter.

I always speak to them and will say, ‘before I speak to you about your performance today or your data, is everything alright at home?’ Because you don’t know what someone’s had at home, you don’t.

One of the lads was talking about their two-year-old kid and the lads said we didn’t even know he had a kid. I said ‘how can you not know your team-mate has a child?!’ It’s amazing.

That’s the way I like to look at it. I’m not saying it’s the right or wrong way, but success or not, it’s the way I want to run the club.”