Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

Just for clarity everyone says LR was loyal. Is that referencing the Blackpool job? 

I ask because I’ve done a pros/cons list and this is what I’ve come up with;

Blackpool cons:

lower league facilities   
Small number of fans   
small championship budget    
LR would needed to have relocated   
Blackpool is a poo hole (in my opinion)

Derby cons

in a lower league   
Has transfer restrictions 

So was LR really that loyal or did Rooney’s shock departure give LR an easy decision? 

30 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not a fan of this decision. It absolutely stinks of short term thinking which I thought we'd all had enough of under Mel. In the long term Warne has not shown he can do an adequate job in the second division which is where we want to be. As a result of this we're ripping up the playbook 11 games in and giving the reigns to a bloke who's style of football is antithetical to the one we've been playing? I just can't make it make sense. I agree Rosenior could have done better, I've felt at times quite critical of our tactics and performances even when we've won games but this is a damn stupid appointment. 

Post of the day……….and it’s only just gone 11.

40 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

It would be interesting to hear Curtis D’s thoughts, his silence in the last month or so  probably tells its own story.

It would be interesting but inappropriate. I don’t believe players should be talking publicly about the managerial position. Whatever he said, there would be a risk of undermining either LR (if his comments supported the change) or the new manager (if he said LR should have kept the job).

38 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not a fan of this decision. It absolutely stinks of short term thinking which I thought we'd all had enough of under Mel. In the long term Warne has not shown he can do an adequate job in the second division which is where we want to be. As a result of this we're ripping up the playbook 11 games in and giving the reigns to a bloke who's style of football is antithetical to the one we've been playing? I just can't make it make sense. I agree Rosenior could have done better, I've felt at times quite critical of our tactics and performances even when we've won games but this is a damn stupid appointment. 

Bookmarked for when we get promoted 

Personally I’d have given Liam time. However his football is a bit boring, we’ll really boring, same a Clements was and also Cocu, it’s dull and toothless. So although I like Liam it’ll be good to see a different style of football, not convinced Warne’s the right man for the job though. 

This movement from interim manager to being relieved of his duties appears to have happened extremely quickly.

I am guessing there is an awful lot more to this other than the poor away performances. Will we ever find out….. I hope not as this decision has been made by the club or possibly even by Liam himself and should remain confidential.

Onwards and upwards, let’s hope the new ‘Manager’ has the skills to produce good results for us from here on in.

COYR ???

25 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Just for clarity everyone says LR was loyal. Is that referencing the Blackpool job? 

I ask because I’ve done a pros/cons list and this is what I’ve come up with;

Blackpool cons:

lower league facilities   
Small number of fans   
small championship budget    
LR would needed to have relocated   
Blackpool is a poo hole (in my opinion)

Derby cons

in a lower league   
Has transfer restrictions 

So was LR really that loyal or did Rooney’s shock departure give LR an easy decision? 

Is Derby not a poo hole then ?

I’m looking forward to the turn of the 2030’s when we are still fighting to escape the clutches of the English 3rd division.  David Clowes has been run out of the city for his megalomaniac tendencies as the Rams have just sacked their up and coming manager Jamie Ward, who was appointed after Ilkeston Town‘s meteoric rise to the Championship. After the possession based football of the ‘Ward’ era a number of supporters are demanding  to return to a faster and more direct brand of football, with the clamour to appoint 81 year old Neil Warnock reaching fever pitch. With the departure of ‘Deadly Dave Clowes’ rumours circulate that a consortium led by Jeremy Keith & Chris Kirchner are circling to buy the club and Billy Davies has announced his intention to throw his hat in the ring for the vacant managers position as he has unfinished business. In light of such drama on and off the pitch a member of the unofficial Derby County fans forum ‘DCFC Fans’ posts a topic entitled ‘If Rosenior was appointed Manager?’ The site owner David then decides to execute the site’s self destruction protocol following the first response to the topic which said “We should never have bloody got rid of Nigel”. This leaves members of the fans site to retreat to Facebook fan pages, the comments section of the DET and Radio Derby’s Sportscene talk in the fill the meaningless empty void in their life’s that is papered over occasionally by talking about the trials and tribulations of Derby County. 

Edited by Orphanram

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

This movement from interim manager to being relieved of his duties appears to have happened extremely quickly.

I am guessing there is an awful lot more to this other than the poor away performances. Will we ever find out….. I hope not as this decision has been made by the club or possibly even by Liam himself and should remain confidential.

Onwards and upwards, let’s hope the new ‘Manager’ has the skills to produce good results for us from here on in.

COYR ???

Not really. I think there was always a plan and the various parts of the plan have happened:

1. Appoint LR as interim manager.

2. Set a review date.

3. Hold a Board meeting on the review date.

4. At the review, list the +ve progress and weigh up the -ve

5. Come to a Board decision. ie Appoint LR permanently or decide on alternative. 

The 1st international break is an obvious review date. Hence it’s happened. 

What is encouraging is the Club has followed a logical and planned sequence and used evidence to form a judgement. Sounds like mature stewardship to me; and I agree with it. The Away form is key but also home game victories have not once been convincing really. 

LR gets to stay as a Coach. I hope he does. He’ll benefit and learn from a chap who has greater experience of what it takes. 

Why speculate that something sinister {implied} was behind it? ?‍♂️

This talk of Warne setting up Rotherham to play direct is, in my opinion, a good sign that he is a decent coach - not the the opposite. He built and managed a team to be as successful as possible within the means at his disposal, and physical endeavour is a cheaper commodity to work with than technical ability.

The fact that Rotherham have struggled each time they have been promoted to the Championship shows that those financial boundaries have a ceiling of achievement and, I suspect, he's a bit fed up of continually trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He probably wants to work with a bit more budget and capability to see how far he can take a team - therefore that doesn't mean Derby would play in the same style as Rotherham have.

This smacks to me of a good move. My only reservation is that Warne has been successful with only one club (a club he's been a part of for many years in a number of roles) and you never know if that will transfer to a different set of circumstances. Look at Nathan Jones at Luton. - he went to Stoke and bombed, yet picked up where he left off back at Kenilworth Road.

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Not really. I think there was always a plan and the various parts of the plan have happened:

2. Set a review date.

5. Come to a Board decision. ie Appoint LR permanently or decide on alternative. 

What is encouraging is the Club has followed a logical and planned sequence and used evidence to form a judgement. Sounds like mature stewardship to me; and I agree with it. The Away form is key but also home game victories have not once been convincing really. 

LR gets to stay as a Coach. I hope he does. He’ll benefit and learn from a chap who has greater experience of what it takes. 

Nothing sinister was implied!, conceived by others? Absolutely!

Edited by Ted McMinn Football Genius

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

2. Set a review date.

I have a feeling Rosenior knew that a review was coming up, from what he was saying at the weekend. It was noticeable that he was emphasising his role in building the team: James Chester told him that he knew he would play for him one day; Conor Hourihane only came here after he called him 15 times; he had known Curtis since he was 18 and they had a great relationship.

DC is a very good business man, he's taken stock with his fellow board members, steadied the ship, seen how we have progressed, good and bad, noted how poor this division is, we have the quality to get out but need the right man to get us out.

LR isn't the man, he's looked around seen a manager who knows the division, not long on his contract and made a move at the right time, season still young and lots to play for, if it's Warne a very good appointment. 

Feel for LR but he will learn, hope he stays as he could still be very important to us. 

Mainly disappointed in some people's reactions tbh.

The one's who seem all of a sudden to have turned from patient with Rosenior, supportive of what he was doing and willing to let him make mistakes while he finds his feet, now full of how they never liked his style in the first place, how he's got a great League One squad and is underachieving, they don't like how pally he is with some players, how they talk about stuff together rather than him being the clear leader etc. (Probably forgetting Rooney's meetings with Davies & Jagielka)

We saw it a bit with Rooney too tbf, bigged up so much when he was here that it felt like people were willfully blind to his mistakes and brushed them under the carpet, but when he left all of the doubts started coming out. Well, most of them, he still has a few hangers on who've applied massive double standards to his time against Rosenior's.

I suppose it's just the way some cope with change as supporters, but some of the things people are using to justify Rosenior leaving & Warne coming in are rather a stretch and feel somewhat forced, and any potential problems with Warne are already being whitewashed.

There's a lot of talk about Rotherham's budget being small, used as a defence against them being relegated every time they go up. First time (I think) he got them up they came down with the worst record ever at Championship level (23 points). Even our decimated squad last season got to 34 and that's with a 21 point deduction!

I'm not bringing this up to have a go at Warne, but I do find it interesting that it's hardly even been mentioned. He was allowed that season by their board and by their fans, however catastrophic the performances on the pitch must have been to accrue so little over 46 games. He won't get anywhere near that level of patience here, obviously. I'm a bit worried though, looking at how some people's true colours have so quickly revealed themselves with Rosenior, that he won't have very much time to make his mark here at all before people turn on him.

I'll wait and see how it goes. I've criticised some of the decisions Rosenior has made and very much advocated needing a different approach away from home - which ironically he may have found in his final home game - but I've also been supportive of the idea of letting him learn.

I'll just continue doing that with Warne, but my gut feeling is still not great tbh and I hope we aren't adrift by January if results plummet while he figures out how to manage a larger club, and how to play direct football when we don't have a striker at the club who can play as a target man.

Edited by Kokosnuss