3-5-2

YouRams

So much better! If we go at teams like that from the off and have players in the right positions to get on the end of things, we will beat the majority of teams in this league.

We've set up way too defensively so far this season and almost invited pressure on ourselves with the tippy tappy football. Let NML and whoever is on the other wing run riot, 2 up top and an overloaded midfield we will score more goals 100%. Then 3 solid CB's doing what they should be doing defending!

Edited by YouRams

3-5-2 looked awful for the first half IMO. lol sided with Roberts and TB as the wing backs.

Dids on his own up front didn’t work for me either. He’s not a lone CF.

Second half I thought Chester needed to pull out wide more when we had the ball as it was a little stale with Davies holding onto it a lot.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

3-5-2 looked awful for the first half IMO. lol sided with Roberts and TB as the wing backs.

Dids on his own up front didn’t work for me either. He’s not a lone CF.

Second half I thought Chester needed to pull out wide more when we had the ball as it was a little stale with Davies holding onto it a lot.

He didn’t really switch to it until he brought NML on we were playing 4 at the back when Roberts was on, which I agree with Chester at RB it looked disjointed and caused the Davies Chester mix up for their goal. 

While it worked today (very well today I might add) I don’t think it’s the formation for us to stick too. I think Knight and Hourihane as a midfield with Didzy, Barks, NML and Collins to start and bring Sibbo and Dobbin on against tired legs. Oduroh at RB. Chester was ok but defiantly not a RB and Knights needed in the centre. 

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Forsyth and Roberts for LWB.

Oduroh and Knight for RWB.

Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen for either RWB or LWB.

Not sure fozzy has wing back in him nowadays, roberts didn’t look very convincing today.

oduroh doesn’t seem an option, knight we’re desperately trying to get into midfield

and like both of the wingers, not sure I want to be asking them to defend. 

I think Rosenior spoke about using a 3-box-3 (basically a hipster name for 3-4-3) when Rooney first got the job permanently. It wouldn’t surprise me if he gives this formation a go from the start of our next match.

Wildsmith

Chester    Davies    Cashin 

NML    Knight    Hourihane    Barks

Mcgoldrick    Sibley

Collins

Chester and Cashin would need to cover some wide areas and NML and Barkhuizen would need to be able to work hard in defence and attack.

Knights energy in the double pivot with Hourihane should get the best out of both of them with Bird  coming on to replace any of the midfield four and Knight moving to cover where needed. Smith also could fit in any position in the four and offer some physicality.

McGoldrick and Sibley would be a nightmare to defend against with Collins being a focal point. Dobbin could also play in either of these slots.

C’mon Liam. Give this one a shot.

Edited by roboto

3 at the back solves the right back issue.

I saw it more of a 3-4-3 though and think that needs to be the starting point now until January where we can try again to fix the RB issue.

Rosenior talked of Smith and Chester being able to play there, I’m not convinced and he clearly isn’t ready to trust Oduroh so we may as well pretend he doesn’t exist at the minute and just go with this 3 at the back.

This does mean Bird dropping out though, casualty of a formation change.

15 hours ago, roboto said:

I think Rosenior spoke about using a 3-box-3 (basically a hipster name for 3-4-3) when Rooney first got the job permanently. It wouldn’t surprise me if he gives this formation a go from the start of our next match.

Wildsmith

Chester    Davies    Cashin 

NML    Knight    Hourihane    Barks

Mcgoldrick    Sibley

Collins

Chester and Cashin would need to cover some wide areas and NML and Barkhuizen would need to be able to work hard in defence and attack.

Knights energy in the double pivot with Hourihane should get the best out of both of them with Bird  coming on to replace any of the midfield four and Knight moving to cover where needed. Smith also could fit in any position in the four and offer some physicality.

McGoldrick and Sibley would be a nightmare to defend against with Collins being a focal point. Dobbin could also play in either of these slots.

C’mon Liam. Give this one a shot.

AKA the Christmas Tree ?