3-5-2

YouRams

I think 352 fits our squad better than most 4 at the back systems. We haven’t realistically been able to do it with defender injuries so far this season but I think it could work now we have them all fit.

The wide players can be NML and TB. We will both score and concede more I think, but on average given the ability of our players versus others in this league we will end up earning more points overall, especially away from home.

It’s a thumbs up from me, especially as we will make much more of most of our central midfield and forward players.

Also, even both of our left backs can play in a 3 at the back if required.

On 17/09/2022 at 14:57, roboto said:

I think Rosenior spoke about using a 3-box-3 (basically a hipster name for 3-4-3) when Rooney first got the job permanently. It wouldn’t surprise me if he gives this formation a go from the start of our next match.

Wildsmith

Chester    Davies    Cashin 

NML    Knight    Hourihane    Barks

Mcgoldrick    Sibley

Collins

Chester and Cashin would need to cover some wide areas and NML and Barkhuizen would need to be able to work hard in defence and attack.

Knights energy in the double pivot with Hourihane should get the best out of both of them with Bird  coming on to replace any of the midfield four and Knight moving to cover where needed. Smith also could fit in any position in the four and offer some physicality.

McGoldrick and Sibley would be a nightmare to defend against with Collins being a focal point. Dobbin could also play in either of these slots.

C’mon Liam. Give this one a shot.

I’d also say when fit Smith could join knight and that would give us a good midfield base. Hourihane could be in with Sibley and McGoldrick to utilise his talents further up the pitch, especially away from home.

The 3-5-2's counterattack vulnerability divides observers. 

If you can penetrate the heavy midfield, you'll be 2-on-3 with the defenders.

The three-man back line must cover a much larger area, especially on the sidelines. 

Attackers can easily circumvent the defence.

In 3-5-2, the wingbacks had no defensive duties. 

The term "wingback" is a misnomer for the 3-5-2's primary purpose. 

The formation is a 3-3-4 in attack. 

This overloads the opponent's defence.

This improves possession in the attacking phase of the game because passing options are increased and the defence is stretched to mark all the players. 

Attacking players can overlap vertically and horizontally for more passing options.

There's a reason it's not used a lot by the top premier league sides.

I don’t care as long as we don’t have 2 deep mids, we need numbers over the halfway or wanting to go there. We don’t have an epic hold up striker so we need 2 up front. After that shuffle it round however you like . The whole game changes if you do these things :

1) play one touch as often as possible - we have good enough players to do it - then you cut holes before you’ve even seen them .. in fact you make the ducking holes. 

2) pass and move in one fluid action

3) get in to a position to give your team mate an option.

4 ) don’t fanny around at the back.

Being patient and looking for a gap only works if you are fast enough to act when the gap appears. 

On 17/09/2022 at 17:48, rammieib said:

3-5-2 looked awful for the first half IMO. lol sided with Roberts and TB as the wing backs.

Dids on his own up front didn’t work for me either. He’s not a lone CF.

Second half I thought Chester needed to pull out wide more when we had the ball as it was a little stale with Davies holding onto it a lot.

we didnt play it in the first half at all ...

1 hour ago, SFox1993 said:

Well, I think we absolutely did. However - that shows the sh1t show that the first half was. Half of people think we were playing it and the other half think we were not.

Either way - if we were playing 4 at the back, I really don't want my RB tucked in that far.

4 hours ago, SFox1993 said:

I was worried lr wouldn't change tactics if things weren't working, he surprised me and changed the tactic and got the result.

We were playing g 4231 to often and other managers knew how to beat that.

I'm hoping that ipswich stay with 3421 because that helps teams to know the best tactics to win against that. So far ipswich have just kept to thar one formation.

Arsenal wenger became predictable at arsenal by largely playing 4231.

I like 352, but it leaves the defense exposed.