Lincoln v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

4 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Is anyone else really underwhelmed with hourihane so far? I kept saying he would be levels above but he seems below half of the midfielders we play currently? 

Well he couldn’t hardly get a start last season in the championship 

1 minute ago, DanS1992 said:

Dissapointing first half, and I fear there will be plenty more until we fix the lack of balance in the middle of the park. Bird and Hourihane are not the answer, I don't think it works.  It has been crying out for Knighty in there, the opposition crap themselves when he runs at them. 

The same outcome is looming...lots of possession, lots of passing....but no cigar. I'm just saying what I'm seeing. In this game, you have to learn quickly. They have yet to win at home this season and they begain the game in the bottom 4 of the table. . Let's not hear the "when we gel" "we are still learning as a Team etc" .Half-time alarm bells should be starting to ring in LR's ears. 

This Bird and Hourihane midfield is killing us right now. They’re both too similar and neither likes to ‘get stuck in’ means the midfield can be super aggressive towards us and pretty much run through us. Also why are we so insistent on pinging the ball so wide but no one’s in the middle. Painful viewing so far and feels like we just expect to beat any teams because we’re ‘bigger and better’ than them. 

13 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

The most worrying thing for this season is rosenior saying that possession based football is his philosophy regardless of if it makes mistakes or not , because we just never look like scoring even when we have the ball 70% of the game 

I don’t think the philosophy is the problem, the execution is. We’ve gone long quite a bit tonight and it’s been poor every time. If we go direct and play percentages in this league, you’re lowering yourself to League 1 standards. We need to be sharper on the ball, Bird/Hourihane are having very average seasons so far which has been a major problem. I’m very surprised with Bird thus far. 

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

Physically I think he's almost completely shot tbh, and it's resulting in him playing 9 sloppy passes for every 1 good one for the highlights.

That could be a current fitness issue but it was noted just how slow he was and how little he did off the ball before he came here, so maybe not.

I dunno, don't think he is shot, with Bird and Hourihane we are kind of playing with two deep-lying playmakers who are not the quickest. The midfield is crying out for more energy. We know Bird doesn't offer that, and neither did Hourihane at Villa. I just don't think they can both play together, and it is making them both look very underwhelming. It has to be one or the other for me, if we do that, then maybe, just maybe, we shall start to see the best of them.