Challenging for promotion in L1 or fighting relegation in Premier League?

Toadbelly

2 minutes ago, Toadbelly said:

As a remote rams fan, I love the energy this season AND that we actually win games….hated our season in the premier league a decade ago….as fans attending matches….am curious which you prefer? 

Either you're a wum or you've got a bad memory. It's more than a decade ago since we were in the Premier League. 

The 07/08 season was grim but the 96/97-01/02 period were my first 6 seasons as a season ticket holder and remain the best years I’ve been fan, especially the first 3 seasons where we were playing great football and in the top half, the last 3 seasons fighting relegation weren’t great but better than a lot of what we’ve watched.

But when I was younger I wanted to see Derby against the best players and I wanted to watch the best players live. Had the privilege the other day of seeing Harry Kane live for the first time in the Spurs end at Forest. But actually, these days I couldnt give a s***! 26,500 fans Pride Park rocking after 2 late goals v posh is just as good. I just want to see my team play well and win if possible, and feel a connection with what I’m watching.

Im happy right now, think we’re building something special. But If we can build what we have and take it to the premier league under Rosenior keeping our new found identity and survive that would be the best season ever for me, fingers crossed it can happen in a few seasons. 

1 hour ago, Toadbelly said:

As a remote rams fan, I love the energy this season AND that we actually win games….hated our season in the premier league a decade ago….as fans attending matches….am curious which you prefer? 

I prefer watching and supporting Derby County FC.

They will, over the years, appear in different levels of the football pyramid. Health and wealth allowing, I will be there to support my team whatever division they happen to be in.

Last season was a great example of how football is more than league positions and stats. The atmosphere was unreal, the togetherness of players and fans under horrendous circumstances have left me with great memories. The euphoria of last minute winners, the never say die attitude of all of us, on and off the pitch, Wayne Rooney's leadership, an absolutely brilliant season as regards being at the games witnessing first hand the unbelievable emotions.

The march from the Market Square to the Ground and the last minute winner by Bielek v Birmingham, days like that are up there with watching Archie, Roy Mac, Toddy and Zak being part of the best team in the land all those years ago for sheer emotion and love of our great club.

Blackpool when we were already relegated, what a weekend, superb, Derby fans at their very best.

So, to answer your question, both. The fans were absolutely brilliant in the prem 15 years ago and probably even better last season. Looks like the same this season as well.

Watching football live, at the match, is not about what anyone else thinks, its about your own experiences on the day.

I'm loving it, COYR ?

Weird thread title.

We accumulated the league's lowest points total since the introduction of 3 points for a win with just 11 points, as well as the record for the fewest wins in a Premier League season with just 1 victory in 38 games; also most defeats (29), fewest goals scored (20), most goals conceded in a 38-game season (89), longest run without victory (32 matches), and earliest relegation (29 March).

We were 25 points from safety at the end of the season. That's not even close. 

If you call that a fight then would have hated to see the outcome if we hadn't have tried at all that season. 

Not sure if you are a WUM or not as I can't believe even the largest masochist would have enjoyed any of the above. 

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

I prefer watching and supporting Derby County FC.

They will, over the years, appear in different levels of the football pyramid. Health and wealth allowing, I will be there to support my team whatever division they happen to be in.

Last season was a great example of how football is more than league positions and stats. The atmosphere was unreal, the togetherness of players and fans under horrendous circumstances have left me with great memories. The euphoria of last minute winners, the never say die attitude of all of us, on and off the pitch, Wayne Rooney's leadership, an absolutely brilliant season as regards being at the games witnessing first hand the unbelievable emotions.

The march from the Market Square to the Ground and the last minute winner by Bielek v Birmingham, days like that are up there with watching Archie, Roy Mac, Toddy and Zak being part of the best team in the land all those years ago for sheer emotion and love of our great club.

Blackpool when we were already relegated, what a weekend, superb, Derby fans at their very best.

So, to answer your question, both. The fans were absolutely brilliant in the prem 15 years ago and probably even better last season. Looks like the same this season as well.

Watching football live, at the match, is not about what anyone else thinks, its about your own experiences on the day.

I'm loving it, COYR ?

Pedant mode on:

Bielik equalised, it ended-up 2-2.

Weirdly I had a similar vein of thought yesterday...how fleeting and double edged 'success' can be in football. 

Forest have their best season in decades and celebrate like mad. We have our worst season ever and potentially go out of business and are relieved it's just relegation to a level we haven't visited for decades.

But the actual result could easily be that Forest spend a miserable season getting hammered and are relegated with a load of players desperately wanting to leave. We have an enjoyable season that ends with a promotion party and a motivated team with momentum....and we are both in the same division.

I like to watch us winning. I also like to see skill and players evolving. Yet there is a hankering to see the best v the best. 

I’d love to be in the PL but going there as cannon fodder isn’t my idea of sport. It’s become an industrial spectacle. Do what a Jim Smith team did and become a skilful wild card team that’s lurking in the top 10 doing maverick entertaining stuff .. wonderful. Anything less than that in the PL is not for me. 

You know there’s nothing quite like rubbing shoulders with the elite. Spending £144M and being able to have at least 1 benchwarmer who will earn more in keeping that bench warm for 90 minutes than the average fan earns in a year. So what if you get tonked 6-0. It’s elite football {pronounced ay-leet} in case you didn’t know. Just so long as you remember to bin the manager who got you up there before it’s too late - having binned the players who got you there it seems only logical. No matter that you then have no emotional connection with either because it’s elite. You’re amongst the very best. That’s just got to be worth it. You get to see the very best players cut your team to pieces. And every 10 games or so, you may play some team against whom you might even score - unless VAR disallows it - or even get a point. Elite football. It’s the best. 

The Premiership is different now to when we were there. They give you a £100 mill for getting relegated now. Once you are in that club you can become a Yo-Yo team like Fulham. Having a good season, bad season. But if you are not getting parachute payments how can you compete with the likes of Shef Utd, WBA etc?

Brentford wish they were back in the Championship challenging for promotion rather than playing PL football.
Wins against Arsenal and Chelsea last season. They only lost 1-0 and 2-0 to Man City too. They've already beaten Man Utd this season.

Brighton must be hating PL football by now too. They only narrowly avoided relegation for a couple of seasons, finished top half last season, and look even stronger now.

Wolves finished top half in 3 out of their 4 seasons in the PL. Even managed a season in Europe.

Bet they all wish they never got promoted. I feel sorry for them, I really do. Can't beat being towards the top of League 1.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Brentford wish they were back in the Championship challenging for promotion rather than playing PL football.
Wins against Arsenal and Chelsea last season. They only lost 1-0 and 2-0 to Man City too. They've already beaten Man Utd this season.

Brighton must be hating PL football by now too. They only narrowly avoided relegation for a couple of seasons, finished top half last season, and look even stronger now.

Wolves finished top half in 3 out of their 4 seasons in the PL. Even managed a season in Europe.

Bet they all wish they never got promoted. I feel sorry for them, I really do. Can't beat being towards the top of League 1.

You’re spoiling the narrative ?