William Osula

Sean

1 hour ago, sage said:

We did develop our own but had to sell off the family silver to pay the bills. 

We may not see an academy player break into the first team for a few years. 

Point 1 - The players we have lost from the academy, that were around the first team, were players we had got from other teams quite recently and we didn't really do too much with their development. I think Festy was the longest serving player from the academy who left this summer. We couldn't stop the sale of Kaide Gordon or Liam Delap due to the nature of how the youth system and contracts currently work, but they also both left before we were in admin.

Point 2 - We've got academy players on the cusp currently. Darren Robinson being the most prominent, but Carlos Richards and Bartosz Cybulski have been involved with the first team this season and Ola Ibrahim and Osazee Aghatise are there or thereabouts with their development too. We don't have a lot of players at academy level at the moment so I do expect the recruitment team to actively be looking for players to add to these squads through the season to help bolster, and hopefully we can give a chance to the next Plange/Ebiowei too. Jake Rooney looks to be a signing with this in mind. Signed and announced for u21s, but he's looked ready for first team football each time he's had his opportunity.

9 minutes ago, roboto said:

Point 1 - The players we have lost from the academy, that were around the first team, were players we had got from other teams quite recently and we didn't really do too much with their development. I think Festy was the longest serving player from the academy who left this summer. We couldn't stop the sale of Kaide Gordon or Liam Delap due to the nature of how the youth system and contracts currently work, but they also both left before we were in admin.

Point 2 - We've got academy players on the cusp currently. Darren Robinson being the most prominent, but Carlos Richards and Bartosz Cybulski have been involved with the first team this season and Ola Ibrahim and Osazee Aghatise are there or thereabouts with their development too. We don't have a lot of players at academy level at the moment so I do expect the recruitment team to actively be looking for players to add to these squads through the season to help bolster, and hopefully we can give a chance to the next Plange/Ebiowei too. Jake Rooney looks to be a signing with this in mind. Signed and announced for u21s, but he's looked ready for first team football each time he's had his opportunity.

Would Delap and Gordon have wanted to leave if the club was being run properly. 

38 minutes ago, sage said:

Would Delap and Gordon have wanted to leave if the club was being run properly. 

Delap left while we were in a great position with the academy. The lure of Man City was too good for him to turn down.

Kaide also left while the academy was in good shape, and has seen his brother come through and then settle into a lower league team, so probably thought it would be beneficial to make a move to a top academy team to see if it helped his career progress even further.

1 hour ago, inter politics said:

Not sure this has been noted but Sheff Utd have a recall clause in Jan

They'll no doubt recall if he's doing well and it'll go down to the last day and hour like it was with Burton and that Jebbison kid they had on loan. Developed him very nicely, was performing excellently for them and got recalled to sit on the bench and do nothing. Really ruined Burton when they lost him.

Question is do we want him to really well for us that he gets recalled in January or he does ok and we have him the season. 

A good option, he lacks any decent experience so presumably will play regularly with the 23s and bench for the first team. A bit a like Dobbin, can offer pace into the mix, but a front four of NML, Barks, Sibley and Collins works for me, with Dobbin switching in when needed. 

Unless he can set the world on fire quickly, and with a recall clause for united in January, I can’t see him getting a lot of league experience, more so used here and there.

7 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

A good option, he lacks any decent experience so presumably will play regularly with the 23s and bench for the first team. A bit a like Dobbin, can offer pace into the mix, but a front four of NML, Barks, Sibley and Collins works for me, with Dobbin switching in when needed. 

Unless he can set the world on fire quickly, and with a recall clause for united in January, I can’t see him getting a lot of league experience, more so used here and there.

Better give McGoldrick a run out now and again too old timer ??

The window clearly didn't end the way we wanted. The talk of Premier League loans and waiting for our first choice targets never came to fruition. But a good window overall. The team are performing better than pretty much anyone expected. There is a lack of depth in various places so fingers crossed on the injury front.

Next goal is to make sure we are in promotion contention in December so that Bird, Knight and our other saleable assets want to stick around for another 6 months. 

Onwards and upwards...

On 01/09/2022 at 15:45, admira said:

Obligatory Youtube link:

Looks a handful, could've had seven.

Being strictly analytical: My take from that is …..The good is his physical power and awareness of players around him, some nice flicks and back heels.  The assists were, if anything, better than the goals.

Bit of a peno buyer/diver which isn’t my favourite attribute in any player but what do I know. Touch looks ok without being special. You wouldn’t want him coming on in the last 10 mins if you are a knackered CB. He’s a handful as you say.  A dangerous and useful addition. Looking forward to seeing him on the pitch in a black and white shirt 

On 01/09/2022 at 19:16, Magicman said:

Raw is not what we need ! 

So tried and tested at this level (Collins) ain't good enough for you, home grown talent (Stretton) ain't either and now a young lad from elsewhere doesn't cut it before he's kicked a ball...

You sir are a wum of the highest order and we all seem to enjoy nibbling the bait!

1 hour ago, RodleyRam said:

So tried and tested at this level (Collins) ain't good enough for you, home grown talent (Stretton) ain't either and now a young lad from elsewhere doesn't cut it before he's kicked a ball...

You sir are a wum of the highest order and we all seem to enjoy nibbling the bait!

So you are happy to expect a non scoring striker to lead us to promotion ?  Raw is exactly how LR described Osula so that means he is young & unproven in first team like Dobbin has to be WIP no more. 

Edited by Magicman

12 minutes ago, Magicman said:

So you are happy to expect a non scoring striker to lead us to promotion ?  Raw is exactly how LR described Osula so that means he is young & unproven in first team like Dobbin has to be WIP no more. 

Just out of curiosity… what WOULD make you happy? ? I’ve nibbled at you before but you seem to pick something bad out of everything! I get the feeling we could sign Haaland and you’d prefer our striker to be a brunette ?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Just out of curiosity… what WOULD make you happy? ? I’ve nibbled at you before but you seem to pick something bad out of everything! I get the feeling we could sign Haaland and you’d prefer our striker to be a brunette ?‍♂️

I like NML, Barks & McGoldrick from the new attacking signings . Dobbin is more a wide player who can make an impact hopefully. Best summer signing will IMO be Rooney once he gets his chance like Cashin he will be unstoppable. 

41 minutes ago, Magicman said:

I'm happy to give the kid a chance without writing him off before he's kicked a ball.

You said raw is not what we need. The point I was making was that every other option we have seems to be also 'not what we need' in your opinion.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he's going to spearhead the attack every week but LR and team clearly have an eye for young talent (Rooney, Dobbin etc.) Seems like he could offer us a different dimension. So if he gets a chance and takes it I'll be delighted. 

What I don't understand is this instant negativity based on F all. 

I was glad to read your post where you stated you did actually like some of our players. 

UTR and all that.

On 02/09/2022 at 10:23, roboto said:

Delap left while we were in a great position with the academy. The lure of Man City was too good for him to turn down.

Kaide also left while the academy was in good shape, and has seen his brother come through and then settle into a lower league team, so probably thought it would be beneficial to make a move to a top academy team to see if it helped his career progress even further.

Off the top of my head... Williams, Kellyman, Ryan and Eze

Well I thought he looked handy on his debut. Not polished but totally the right attitude. There’s a bit of a wild card about him. Is he a league 1 Wanchop in the making ? Doesn’t do the obvious, has confidence looks strong. His touch doesn’t look that special but his athleticism and unpredictability seem to me to be a real asset. Not sure he’s a starter yet but could grow to be one easily. 

• 3 months later...

Not against it. We haven't really played to his strengths since he's joined and for his development it'd be better if he was elsewhere. 

He's no the hold up, back to goal striker that Warne wants. He's someone who plays on the last man that you play through balls for him to run onto, as seen by his 2 goals vs Accrington.