Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

13 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Our midfield against WBA was very energetic - knight Smith Thompson - but it will be - Bird hourihane Smith probably 

love Tommo’s energy but he’s not yet got the hang of the ‘play it out from the back’ thing  
maybe we’ll see Knight in midfield tho

I think there’s an argument that Peterborough are flat track bullies in this league. They regularly get promoted using a combination of astute forward line recruitment and using this to exploit the weaker defences in this league.

When the play in the Championship the overall standard of their team let’s them down and the stronger defences can nullify their forward line.

What does that mean for Saturday? I’d suggest that we are one of the tougher challenges for anyone in the division and are only in League 1 on technicalities rather than footballing ineptitude.  So I’d be surprised if Peterborough score more than one on Saturday. Similarly I’d be surprised if we score more than one - someone is going to get a tanking from us but I don’t think it will be Saturday. My best guess is Sibley starts and it’s still a 0-0 draw.

I’m very bullish about our chances.

I watched the Oxford game and thought how weak our bench was. Since then, players have emerged and are very much in contention for a start. Even though Davies and Chester have been injured, we seem to have defensive cover. 
Midfield has improved but still needs to be braver.

Up front, we are tense because no one has yet established the confidence of scoring regularly. This Saturday will be the day the tap gets switched on.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

While I agree that Sibley has done well and should start this seems like an odd stance to take before a ball has been kicked. What if he doesn’t pick Sibley and the side he picks goes on the win 5-0, will you still call for him to go? What if he starts Sibley on the bench and brings him on when their defence is tiring and he grabs himself a couple of goals, isn’t that potentially good tactical awareness from Rosenior? What if he starts Sibley and Sibley has a shocker, scores a hat trick of own goals and gets sent off? Is that on Rosenior?

I want to see Derby succeed after a rubbish few years off the pitch, Rosenior is currently the person paid to make that happen, it’s his responsibility to pick the team based on what he sees in training, what his staff have analysed about the game, what he knows the strengths of his squad to be etc, and he’s made a solid enough start to life as the manager. Calling for him to be sacked for his potential selection decision surrounding one player seems extreme to me. ??‍♂️ 

I expect Rosenior to start Sibley. He'd be mad not to. We are the lowest scorers in the Third Division (OK, I accept Shrewsbury and Morecambe have one goal fewer, but you get the point). When we have managed to put the ball in the net, our top scorer so far this season is OG. But what I'm saying is it isn't only stupid not to start your most dangerous attacking player, it's unfair on him and that's what I can't abide. I hate it in all walks of life when managers show favouritism and don't give other workers the chance they clearly deserve. In football you will only have my respect if you give players the shirt on merit.

Against the baggies no one else came close to the same threat level - you'd have to say Sibley was five times more likely to score than any other Derby player in that his several attempts were simply far superior. Rosenior has been trying to justify his decision so far by saying Sibley is more effective off the bench. But we're not scoring any goals and when he started on Tuesday he scored after 15 minutes. How much easier did that make the game for us? Yes it's conceivable he doesn't pick Sibley and we win 5-0, but given we've only scored three league goals all season and they've all been scored when Sibley is on the pitch (two in the one half when he did start him), Rosenior would have to be the luckiest manager in history for that to happen.

9 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I expect Rosenior to start Sibley. He'd be mad not to. We are the lowest scorers in the Third Division (OK, I accept Shrewsbury and Morecambe have one goal fewer, but you get the point). When we have managed to put the ball in the net, our top scorer so far this season is OG. But what I'm saying is it isn't only stupid not to start your most dangerous attacking player, it's unfair on him and that's what I can't abide. I hate it in all walks of life when managers show favouritism and don't give other workers the chance they clearly deserve. In football you will only have my respect if you give players the shirt on merit.

I don't think anyone is saying that Sibley isn't a good player but to suggest that Rosenior and management have in some way bullied him is a tad melodramatic!

Rosenior will pick the side he thinks most capable of winning the match and the players best suited to his tactical aspirations. Sibley has shown himself to be a threat whether he had started or come on at sub, correct me if I'm wrong but he's featured in every game. That doesn't suggest he's being treated unfairly at all and has been asked (like every other player!) to do his best for the team. He's a big boy and has stepped up his performance this season, which would suggest he's being managed just fine.

The club is bigger than any individual. I get you love him but don't create a drama where it doesn't exist.

Has both Darren Robinson and George Thorne whilst commenting on the last two game have both said Sibley has so much talent he could be a real top player he just needs to realise it. 

He also needs to show consistency in performance and training and maybe be a bit more demanding in games, when he does then he will get the game time from the manager

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Still about 5,000 tickets left, no idea how many they have sold but I would expect similar to Barnsley so about 26,000.

1,500 sold they reckon as of last Monday, so probably similar to Barnsley, maybe a little more.

Wildsmith

Knight Stearman Cashin Forsyth

Hourihane Bird

Mendez-Laing McGoldrick Sibley

Collins

Most of the team picks itself right now really - it’s just the three in behind Collins that are a bit tricky, in terms of fitting everyone in. Sibley clearly has to start after his performance against West Brom, as well as his impact off the bench throughout the season so far. Also think you’ve got to get McGoldrick in there as well now he’s fit - he’s such a quality, clever player at this level. The experience and intelligence he brings to the side will be vital this season in my opinion, providing the missing link between the midfield and Collins. Trouble is, McGoldrick can only really slot in behind Collins, which is where you’d ideally want Sibley. Don’t like playing him out of position on the wing, but it’s better than not playing him at all. It’s impossible to fit everyone in where they’re at their best sadly.

Harsh on Barkhuizen and Dobbin though - the former has struggled to make much impact in the league, but the latter looked really exciting the other night. Just can’t fit everyone in.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Wildsmith

Knight Stearman Cashin Forsyth

Hourihane Bird

Mendez-Laing McGoldrick Sibley

Collins

Most of the team picks itself right now really - it’s just the three in behind Collins that are a bit tricky, in terms of fitting everyone in. Sibley clearly has to start after his performance against West Brom, as well as his impact off the bench throughout the season so far. Also think you’ve got to get McGoldrick in there as well now he’s fit - he’s such a quality, clever player at this level. The experience and intelligence he brings to the side will be vital this season in my opinion, providing the missing link between the midfield and Collins. Trouble is, McGoldrick can only really slot in behind Collins, which is where you’d ideally want Sibley. Don’t like playing him out of position on the wing, but it’s better than not playing him at all. It’s impossible to fit everyone in where they’re at their best sadly.

Harsh on Barkhuizen and Dobbin though - the former has struggled to make much impact in the league, but the latter looked really exciting the other night. Just can’t fit everyone in.

Put the youngster at right back and play Knight in midfield with ?

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Against the baggies no one else came close to the same threat level - you'd have to say Sibley was five times more likely to score than any other Derby player in that his several attempts were simply far superior. Rosenior has been trying to justify his decision so far by saying Sibley is more effective off the bench. But we're not scoring any goals and when he started on Tuesday he scored after 15 minutes. How much easier did that make the game for us? Yes it's conceivable he doesn't pick Sibley and we win 5-0, but given we've only scored three league goals all season and they've all been scored when Sibley is on the pitch (two in the one half when he did start him), Rosenior would have to be the luckiest manager in history for that to happen.

I agree with you on the threat Sibley offers and that he should start the game. I hope he does, and I hope he plays well to help us win the game and earn another 3 points.

I don’t agree with your stance that if Rosenior, as the person being paid to do the job of managing the team, does anything other than start Sibley then he deserves to lose his job. Results are the main thing that should determine a managers job security, let’s hope we keep picking them up and that Sibley plays his part in that success.