Football in the heat

Wistaston Ram

Looking like it will be about 32 degrees for the game on Saturday. I cannot remember going to a match in such a hot temperature. The hottest I can remember was when we played at Fulham back in the Jim Smith years (0.0 I think). Must have been the first away game of the season and it was roasting in the old cramped wooden stand (the away fans were housed along the side in those days) and what a relief to get out into the fresh air at the end. 

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It's going to be very hot in the lower east stand, everyone should wear hats, put on sunscreen  and take plenty of water.

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It's going to be very hot in the lower east stand, everyone should wear hats, put on sunscreen  and take plenty of water.

Hot in the south stand too, stood up and packed in. Not much air knocking about. Admittedly not quite in direct sunlight like those poor buggers in lower east - been there myself when I was younger, it is roasting. 

30 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Looking like it will be about 32 degrees for the game on Saturday. I cannot remember going to a match in such a hot temperature. The hottest I can remember was when we played at Fulham back in the Jim Smith years (0.0 I think). Must have been the first away game of the season and it was roasting in the old cramped wooden stand (the away fans were housed along the side in those days) and what a relief to get out into the fresh air at the end. 

First game of the season in the George Burley playoff campaign we played Leeds away. It was about 35 degrees. I remember it well as it was on TV and I cycled round to my grandad’s house to watch it. I arrived dripping in sweat.

We lost 1-0 despite being the better side. I remember us scoring from a corner and it was disallowed as they judged it went out of play first which was nonsense.

4 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Remember the Fulham game well, the bar ran out of drinks at halftime.

4 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

They ran out of water as well in the concourses. 

it was heaven when the sprinklers strayed into the stand. 

Think I might go on the bike. 
Catch a breeze, and home in 5 mins, once I’ve pushed it through the crowd as far as Costco. 
Anyone walking back that way, check before you step out of Costco out into that usually unused bus/bike Lane… I’ll only ring my bell the once!  ?

18 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Think I might go on the bike. 
Catch a breeze, and home in 5 mins, once I’ve pushed it through the crowd as far as Costco. 
Anyone walking back that way, check before you step out of Costco out into that usually unused bus/bike Lane… I’ll only ring my bell the once!  ?

I’ll look out for you. Do you have a basket on the front of the bike or just stabilisers ??

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

First game of the season in the George Burley playoff campaign we played Leeds away. It was about 35 degrees. I remember it well as it was on TV and I cycled round to my grandad’s house to watch it. I arrived dripping in sweat.

We lost 1-0 despite being the better side. I remember us scoring from a corner and it was disallowed as they judged it went out of play first which was nonsense.

I was at Elland Road that day, sat in with the Leeds fans as we'd sold out. Had been out on the lash the night before in Leeds so combination of 25 degree heat (sure it wasn't as high as 30 there), a steaming hangover & listening to the absolute garbage around us made me feel pretty nauseous. Did well not to vomit on a load of them. From memory, it was an early kick off & was their first game back in the Championship after relegation.

Duck, I forgot that we're playing on Saturday. Literally gonna melt, mind, I feel feel the players more running around in it!

The whole start of this season has been bizzare. Playing football in the summer heat is not something I’ve ever really known as a fan. Don’t know whether it’s just the heatwave we’ve been having, or the season starting early, but it’s a very different experience. Wearing shorts to a football match, who’d have though it?!