Football in the heat

Wistaston Ram

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Duck, I forgot that we're playing on Saturday. Literally gonna melt, mind, I feel feel the players more running around in it!

The whole start of this season has been bizzare. Playing football in the summer heat is not something I’ve ever really known as a fan. Don’t know whether it’s just the heatwave we’ve been having, or the season starting early, but it’s a very different experience. Wearing shorts to a football match, who’d have though it?!

Players would look a bit daft in jeans

18 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Duck, I forgot that we're playing on Saturday. Literally gonna melt, mind, I feel feel the players more running around in it!

The whole start of this season has been bizzare. Playing football in the summer heat is not something I’ve ever really known as a fan. Don’t know whether it’s just the heatwave we’ve been having, or the season starting early, but it’s a very different experience. Wearing shorts to a football match, who’d have though it?!

It's usually confined to England playing in tournaments in far flung places. 

Seems doable, although we are usually carp at those. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Not gonna lie, never even been to an England game! Travelling around watching Derby getting beat every week is more than enough disappointment…

Rarely do the England thing any more. And never went to the really hot places like Mexico in 86, when it was like 6 months salary just for the flight! ?

And if you think Derby provide disappointment....... 

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

ssssss.gif.78c6441cbdbcd95f6a64a9d45089f80c.gif 

OK, OK... I have two, so I'll go as far as one ring of each, then... but no more!  

Might wear my sexy Ajax shirt, and also keep shouting "Who are yer, who are yer" as they step out onto a kerbed tarmacadam automotive traffic throughway without bloody looking over their shoulder!  ?
One day, it will be a bus... or a taxi full of away fans... laughing... and pointing!  

When the public are being advised by the NHS to avoid physical activity, stay where it is cool etc. why are matches taking place? Why should football matches be exempt from NHS safety guidelines? Football matches in this country were never meant to be played in this extreme heat. Feel so sad and concerned for those having to take part.

Edited by Miggins

2 minutes ago, Miggins said:

When the public are being advised by the NHS to avoid physical activity, stay where it is cool etc. why are matches taking place? Football matches in this country were never meant to be played in this extreme heat. Feel so sad and concerned for those having to take part.

I think the stats tell us that quite a high percent of the general public are overweight or even obese. Perhaps our lot are a bit fitter?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think the stats tell us that quite a high percent of the general public are overweight or even obese. Perhaps our lot are a bit fitter?

I agree that those who have weight problems are more at risk as well as those with various other health issues, but it is just plain commonsense for all of us to try not to exert ourselves too much in this extreme weather, even those who are fitter. I really don't think that football matches should be played when there is an amber weather warning. Most of our players are not acclimatised to playing in these exceptional conditions.

6 minutes ago, Miggins said:

When the public are being advised by the NHS to avoid physical activity, stay where it is cool etc. why are matches taking place? Why should football matches be exempt from NHS safety guidelines? Football matches in this country were never meant to be played in this extreme heat. Feel so sad and concerned for those having to take part.

Not sure if you remember the match between Ireland and Mexico at the world cup in 94.  125 degrees.  I actually thought a couple of the Ireland players might keel over after an hour.  Then they played with 10 men for a bit when Aldridge couldn't get on and famously lost his s***. It was that game that instigated the water and supplements during match play breaks, as one of them selected for a urine test had to drink about 5 pints of water in a hour to go for a pee, then got hydration poisoning.   

Suppose that's the job though and things have improved.  I've done 8 hours labouring in 90 degree heat on a few occasion and -7 at 8 in the morning during the winter over the years.  Sometimes those giving these guidelines ignore the fact people need to earn money and the fact sitting at a desk for eight hours in an office with a mask on when it's 35 degrees - there own staff, is as little fun as working outside in it with no mask on. 

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not sure if you remember the match between Ireland and Mexico at the world cup in 94.  125 degrees.  I actually thought a couple of the Ireland players might keel over after an hour.  Then they played with 10 men for a bit when Aldridge couldn't get on and famously lost his s***. It was that game that instigated the water and supplements during match play breaks, as one of them selected for a urine test had to drink about 5 pints of water in a hour to go for a pee, then got hydration poisoning.   

Suppose that's the job though and things have improved.  I've done 8 hours labouring in 90 degree heat on a few occasion and -7 at 8 in the morning during the winter over the years.  Sometimes those giving these guidelines ignore the fact people need to earn money and the fact sitting at a desk for eight hours in an office with a mask on when it's 35 degrees - there own staff, is as little fun as working outside in it with no mask on. 

I agree with this post! After I finished teaching I went to work in a garden centre for 10 years. In the winter the temperature in the garden centre was only about 5 degrees in the winter at times. We were freezing! |In the summer I sometimes worked in the kitchen cooking meals for 250 people. The area where I worked had no doors or windows. I was surrounded by an industrial sized cooker with 12 gas burners and two huge gas ovens. The temperature was 40c at least and sometimes more. I used to finish my shift feeling so sick and shaky. I guess that's why I feel so for our lads running around in this heat.

I think I agree with Miggins, though I  really do take on board what @Gee SCREAMER !! posts as he has undertaken manual labour in challenging conditions, and he says such conditions can also take place indoors (in fairness). 

I do think some flexibility should have been shown, it is probably too late to amend kick-off times, the inconvenience it causes to travelling fans though there is a rail strike on. 

But I agree that it will be challenging for both players & fans. (a) the players will be expected to run around in these conditions, hence the official drinks break intervals, and surely they will play with one idea of conserving energy, adapting tactics etc (b) fans will be exposed to extreme heat,  some with health conditions may choose not to attend, but both fans & players are being put at unnecessary risk when our healthcare services & professionals are already under great strain, pre-/(exacerbated) after Covid.

On 09/08/2022 at 16:20, LeedsCityRam said:

I was at Elland Road that day, sat in with the Leeds fans as we'd sold out. Had been out on the lash the night before in Leeds so combination of 25 degree heat (sure it wasn't as high as 30 there), a steaming hangover & listening to the absolute garbage around us made me feel pretty nauseous. Did well not to vomit on a load of them. From memory, it was an early kick off & was their first game back in the Championship after relegation.

I looked on google at this as I was curious. I was sure it was a sweltering day back then.

Turns out, according to the data I saw, Derby was actually 4 degrees hotter than Leeds on the day. 

Doesn’t seem a lot, but could be the difference between pleasant and hot!

Still, back then, anything above 25 seemed hot.