Tom Lawrence

Animal is a Ram

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Page has given Lawrence 3 caps since he became manager in 2020 (28 games in that time). This isn't a case of seeing a player as an injury/fitness risk during a 3 or 4 game tournament (for them). He just doesn't like him. Look at the other players he prefers:
   - Mark Harris: best season in front of goal was 4 goals last season
   - Dan James: best season in front of goal was 5 in 20/21
   - Sorba Thomas: best season was 5 for Boreham Wood in 19/20, only ever scored 3 goals in professional football
Others not in the WC squad, but given opportunities include:
   - Rabbi Matondo: Can't get in the Rangers team when Lawrence is available.
   - Tyler Roberts: career best of 5 goals in a season (for Walsall in 17/18), and only 3 goals in the last 3 seasons

Lawrence has played fewer than 36 games in a season only once since he joined Blackburn on loan in 2015, so not as much of an injury risk as you may think. His work rate in previous seasons was also vastly under rated by the majority.

Yes, as said, I agree with you that he doesn't "like" Lawrence although now I'm wondering if you mean "like" as a character (?) - in which case, that may or may not be the case. I meant it in terms of whether Page likes him as a player who brings more advantages than disadvantages, and more advantages than the others you mention.

The main disadvantage though, whatever any difference of opinion over work-rate, is that he's been injured since August! Very hard to justify carrying multiple players who are currently injured and have been for some time. 

7 minutes ago, jameso said:

Yes, as said, I agree with you that he doesn't "like" Lawrence although now I'm wondering if you mean "like" as a character (?) - in which case, that may or may not be the case. I meant it in terms of whether Page likes him as a player who brings more advantages than disadvantages, and more advantages than the others you mention.

The main disadvantage though, whatever any difference of opinion over work-rate, is that he's been injured since August! Very hard to justify carrying multiple players who are currently injured and have been for some time. 

You keep looking at this WC squad in isolation.

19/20 (2nd half) - 0 caps
20/21 - 3 cap
21/22 - 0 caps
22/23 (1st half) - 0 caps

You can't blame an injury this season on keeping him out of the squad for the 2 and a half seasons before this one

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You keep looking at this WC squad in isolation.

19/20 (2nd half) - 0 caps
20/21 - 3 cap
21/22 - 0 caps
22/23 (1st half) - 0 caps

You can't blame an injury this season on keeping him out of the squad for the 2 and a half seasons before this one

Page took over November 2020 (as interim; confirmed as manager summer 2022) so it's somebody else's dislike of Lawrence up until then, isn't it? So we're really talking about 2 years, including this season - not the 2 and a half seasons before this one.

Lawrence played all of Page's first match (USA, Nov 2020) and 30 minutes of another 6 days later (Finland). He was also picked in Page's squad for 3 matches in March 2021 (played in friendly; on the bench for 2 WC qualifiers). At this point Lawrence had come back from injury spanning December 2020-March 2021 and had since played a total of 40 minutes for Derby before being named in that Welsh squad. Lawrence had also missed the first 5 games of that season with injury so in total had actually played in fewer games for Derby than he had missed. 

Maybe those games for Wales were enough for Page to make up his mind about Lawrence and, once again, I can think of a few reasons why he might prefer other players ahead of him.

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Fans of Livingston (not Livingstone), Ross County, St Johnstone and St Mirren. The two man and a dog brigade, as you call them.

But I was referring to the sort of crowds Tom would be playing in front of every other week. Not criticising the fans of those clubs. My guess is that Tom will be regretting that he didn’t join Sheff Utd when he had the chance. He certainly won’t improve as a player playing at such a poor level ?

Lawrence isn't in the Wales squad because he isn't good enough. No conspiracies, no fall out with Page. Lawrence is a very average player who has the occasional spectacular day. He plays for a poor Rangers team in a weak league. I would take Jonny Williams over him every time.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Lawrence isn't in the Wales squad because he isn't good enough. No conspiracies, no fall out with Page. Lawrence is a very average player who has the occasional spectacular day. He plays for a poor Rangers team in a weak league. I would take Jonny Williams over him every time.

Johnny Williams is a skillful player, but he currently plays for Swindon in L2, which is below the Scottish PL in standard. He's had a good season and a half with them, scoring more goals than in the rest of his career put together, so you could say he's in form, but prior to that, he's been injury prone, averaging around 14 games a season. Lawrence is a different kind of player to Williams, and equally inconsistent, but he's played at a higher level for longer and is more likely to grab you a goal out of the blue than Williams.

If it was a case of one or the other for tournament football, I'd take Lawrence every time.

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2023 at 12:39, Carl Sagan said:

Lawrence still struggling with injury. Hasn't played since August and it looks as if he won't be back until March. The Rangers fans have a thread about him: https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/tom-lawrence-still-experiencing-pain.231034/

One of the few times a players left and then been hit with an injury curse. Usually happens when they join us. 

On 07/01/2023 at 12:39, Carl Sagan said:

Lawrence still struggling with injury. Hasn't played since August and it looks as if he won't be back until March. The Rangers fans have a thread about him: https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/tom-lawrence-still-experiencing-pain.231034/

Got as far as reading this comment then realised what a tinpot league it is up there......

"Just winning a domestic cup is not success at Rangers.

We're not St Johnstone. 

It is only ever a successful season if we win the league. A domestic cup is worth
nothing when we don't win the league."

• 4 months later...