Knight   Hourihane

NML       Collins     Barkhuizen

What I think Rosenior will actually do:

Wildsmith

Knight Chester Davies Roberts

Smith     Bird

NML    Hourihane   Barkhuizen 

Collins

With maybe a chance of Odoruh playing RB, Knight to 10, Hourihane back to DM and Smith on the bench.  

Edited by brady1993

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

If McGoldrick is fit:

Wildsmith

Knight Davies Cashin Roberts

Hourihane  Bird

NML   McGoldrick Barkhuizen

Collins

What I'd pick if he isn't: 

Wildsmith

Odoruh Davies Cashin Roberts

Bird

Knight   Hourihane

NML       Collins     Barkhuizen

What I think Rosenior will actually do:

Wildsmith

Smith     Bird

Collins

With maybe a chance of Odoruh playing RB, Knight to 10, Hourihane back to DM and Smith on the bench.  

Wildsmith

Smith     Bird

Collins

Knight as RB as what stands out to me as something which doesnt look or feel right. I like the look of the rest of the team though and look forward to McGoldrick being fit.

Wildsmith

Hourihane  Bird

NML  McGoldrick  Barkhuizen

Collins

SUBS: Loach, Cashin, Forsyth, Oduroh, Smith, Sibley, Stretton

I'd probably go with something like the above. Counterintuitive to have Knight at RB, I know, but he's probably has to play right now, even if Korey Smith's arrival does pose a rather uncomfortable question. I think Jason is perhaps somewhat of a victim of his own willingness and versatility as a Derby player. 

Jason Knight plays in midfield regularly for a very competitive international team in the Republic of Ireland yet he's a utility player for a third tier club team. He may be versatile but surely he shouldn't be wasted out of position when he's clearly a superior midfielder to a guy like Smith who is no more than a decent journeyman?

10 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

I'm sure I've read that Smith plays full back too? Wasn't that one of the big things to bring him in? We can't be wasting Knight out at full back.

Knight’s been a victim of his own versatility and the continued recruitment strategies of the club. Lots of people observe he seems to be a Jack of all trades, master of none type but I wonder would he excel if he played consistently for us in central midfield? Bird, Hourihane and Knight as a three could be interesting, passing and control from Hourinane and Bird, energy and forward drive from Knight in a more box to box role. All three can press and tackle a bit, only thing they’d be giving up on some teams would be physical strength and maybe a bit of height, but if you can out run and out pass the majority of opposition midfields you’d probably get away with it. 
Knight, as we know, has a good engine on him and can run and run, he’s also scored the odd goal. Give him time in a central midfield role, let him work on timing his runs into the box and I think he’d flourish. Sadly I don’t see that happening anytime soon, but I can dream.

It’s not what Rosenior will pick but I’d like to see this as the lineup assuming there are no further additions other than Forsyth confirmed. I’m also aware Bielik probably won’t play;

33A1A6CC-EDBD-4E2B-94A4-E38347ED8060.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Knight’s been a victim of his own versatility and the continued recruitment strategies of the club. Lots of people observe he seems to be a Jack of all trades, master of none type but I wonder would he excel if he played consistently for us in central midfield? Bird, Hourihane and Knight as a three could be interesting, passing and control from Hourinane and Bird, energy and forward drive from Knight in a more box to box role. All three can press and tackle a bit, only thing they’d be giving up on some teams would be physical strength and maybe a bit of height, but if you can out run and out pass the majority of opposition midfields you’d probably get away with it. 
Knight, as we know, has a good engine on him and can run and run, he’s also scored the odd goal. Give him time in a central midfield role, let him work on timing his runs into the box and I think he’d flourish. Sadly I don’t see that happening anytime soon, but I can dream.

It’s not what Rosenior will pick but I’d like to see this as the lineup assuming there are no further additions other than Forsyth confirmed. I’m also aware Bielik probably won’t play;

I’d go the same but the young lad for Smith at home (Oduroh).

If you have Hourihane in midfield, you need someone who can match him for legs. That midfield 3 is our best IMO, it reminds me of Hughes, Thorne, Bryson of old. 

It’s also impossible to not play Barkhuizen and NML as well, both have been so good in pre-season. 

Just now, LeedsRam1999 said:

I’d go the same but the young lad for Smith at home (Oduroh).

If you have Hourihane in midfield, you need someone who can match him for legs. That midfield 3 is our best IMO, it reminds me of Hughes, Thorne, Bryson of old. 

It’s also impossible to not play Barkhuizen and NML as well, both have been so good in pre-season. 

I guess if Oduroh did play in that side you could count on Knight to get across and cover/support from midfield if and when needed. 
Tell the front 3 to attack, attack, attack, occasionally take it wide and cross in meaning bodies need to join Collins in the box, other times make runs in behind and get Bird/Hourihane to attempt through balls. 
I’m really looking forward to Saturday now, wish I could be there but family commitments mean I can’t make the trip. 

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’d pick the same team, definitely with Smith at RB, but with McGoldrick up front ahead of Collins.

I know McG isn’t an out and out CF but he can bring others into the game and find space in the box.

We can always bring Collins off the bench when McGoldrick tires.

I think Knight has shown that he isn’t as effective at right back, even if the plan was to use him as the ace up the sleeve type. Knights ability is largely based on his energy, whereas I don’t necessarily think his technical ability is as impressive as others in our team. I think a ‘star’ type full back needs someone with more ability, going past their man and putting the ball in the box. Byrne, obviously, is ideal in this role. Smith could be a smart option there, but we could definitely use an experienced option once the Byrne situation is resolved.

With Knight, I’d play him in centre mid for the game against Oxford and Smith at full back. 

40 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He did in his first 30 games.  In fact sure he had about 7 goals.  Cocu noted after the Norwich away that for his age 18-19, when he never gave them an inch, that he was the best midfielder at that age he played with or managed.  I imagine that's a fair few quality midfielders.  Then we decided to start sticking him out wide, overusing him and put him back for 4 months by an out of shape manager deciding he still wanted to clobber people in training. 

I wouldn't blame him if he decided to leave should he be shoehorned in at fullback.  A pointless endeavour.

20 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

On what is available I’d like to see:

Wildsmith

Odoruh

Davies

Cashin

Roberts

Bird

Knight

Hourihane

NML

Barkhuizen

Collins

Heck of a spine to that team, but not a lot of width. Can’t see it working. 

Bit of a rogue one, and assuming Bielik and McGoldrick aren't fit:

Wildsmith

Oduroh  Davies Cashin Roberts

Smith Hourihane

NML         Sibley      Barkhuizen

Collins

Heavy on experience, with Sibley as the dynamic player between the lines. Harsh on Bird (and he'd probably still be first choice over the course of the season), just like the idea of 2 older heads in midfield for the first game

15 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Bit of a rogue one, and assuming Bielik and McGoldrick aren't fit:

Wildsmith

Oduroh  Davies Cashin Roberts

Smith Hourihane

NML         Sibley      Barkhuizen

Collins

Heavy on experience, with Sibley as the dynamic player between the lines. Harsh on Bird (and he'd probably still be first choice over the course of the season), just like the idea of 2 older heads in midfield for the first game

just swap Sibley for Bird and you've still got the 2 older heads?

21 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Knight at right back just doesn’t feel right…

It doesn’t for either, but it’s a necessary compromise I suppose. I’d want him on the pitch regardless. Not many have his energy and doggedness. That said, NML has made a real impact in threat terms 

looking at everyone’s teams it’s easy to see the limited up front choices and the RB issue, everything else is down to Liam deciding who’s best in balance terms and who fits with who.