Football Eats Itself

angieram

42 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Are we any different in the 'lower leagues'? Have a look at the transfer threads that have popped up since the takeover was confirmed, look at the glee that we are able to spend on players bigger than others in the division could afford. Just multilpy that by ten (maybe more) and you've got yourself a Man City fan.

We all want the best our club can afford, the problem is (and we know better than most) what happens when you go beyond that. So you can't blame the fans, of whatever generation, for getting excited about the multi-million pound incoming target.

And you can't really blame the owners, they are buying a new toy like you and I would buy a PS5 or a new set of golf clubs. And you can't even blame the governing bodies - how well do you think it would be received if the EFL capped salaries and all the stars (including the English ones) went to Spain, Italy and Germany.

It's not corrupt to the core, as others said, it's just the capitalist model playing out - them with the deepest pockets get the best rewards, and those who don't have deep pockets will do pretty much anything to make them deeper. Watch it, we will go back up - hopefully this season - and then the forum will light up all over again with who we should be buying, who we must have to survive, who we need to offer a massive contract to in order to keep them.

Twas ever thus - Clough battled Sam Longson eternally for more funds for players, Derby County broke the English transfer record three times between the end of the war and our first title winning season. We're all as bad as each other, just some have more to be bad with than others.

If the said players do sign with the already players that have signed, Then you can't blame fans for being over excited for this season, We've had a shyte 2+ years, Fans want something to hang their hopes on, Already I see DCFC are Champions elect, That feeds into fans expectations, Walking to PP for our 1st game we'll see smiles for a change.

PS I agree with your post

3 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

If the said players do sign with the already players that have signed, Then you can't blame fans for being over excited for this season, We've had a shyte 2+ years, Fans want something to hang their hopes on, Already I see DCFC are Champions elect, That feeds into fans expectations, Walking to PP for our 1st game we'll see smiles for a change.

PS I agree with your post

I don't blame them - I'm excited myself

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Are we any different in the 'lower leagues'? Have a look at the transfer threads that have popped up since the takeover was confirmed, look at the glee that we are able to spend on players bigger than others in the division could afford. Just multilpy that by ten (maybe more) and you've got yourself a Man City fan.

We all want the best our club can afford, the problem is (and we know better than most) what happens when you go beyond that. So you can't blame the fans, of whatever generation, for getting excited about the multi-million pound incoming target.

And you can't really blame the owners, they are buying a new toy like you and I would buy a PS5 or a new set of golf clubs. And you can't even blame the governing bodies - how well do you think it would be received if the EFL capped salaries and all the stars (including the English ones) went to Spain, Italy and Germany.

It's not corrupt to the core, as others said, it's just the capitalist model playing out - them with the deepest pockets get the best rewards, and those who don't have deep pockets will do pretty much anything to make them deeper. Watch it, we will go back up - hopefully this season - and then the forum will light up all over again with who we should be buying, who we must have to survive, who we need to offer a massive contract to in order to keep them.

Twas ever thus - Clough battled Sam Longson eternally for more funds for players, Derby County broke the English transfer record three times between the end of the war and our first title winning season. We're all as bad as each other, just some have more to be bad with than others.

You’re not wrong. If we’re honest, we all think and hope we should be able to buy our way out if this league. Which isn’t really fair on the clubs that have been slogging it out in this league for ages, waiting for their turn in the championship.

it’s the same as the top six getting richer and richer isn’t really fair on those teams just behind who would live their chance of europe but have to work 10 times harder to have half a chance, cos the rich clubs can basically buy their European top 4 or 6 place every season. 

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The younger generation and fans abroad would lap it up

so basically the people who don't pump any money into following it? Of course they'd lap it up. The influence should be those that are the paying consumers, not the kids sitting at home watching youtube videos of Messi and Ronaldo.

26 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

so basically the people who don't pump any money into following it? Of course they'd lap it up. The influence should be those that are the paying consumers, not the kids sitting at home watching youtube videos of Messi and Ronaldo.

Sky and all the foreign tv companies are the paying consumers. They pay way more than the people buying tickets. They could (and should) give tickets away for next to nothing and it probably wouldn’t make much of a difference.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

TV broadcasters from abroad pay way more than domestic paying customers.

The PL is the most popular league in the world because it’s the most diverse league in the world.

The money is driven by foreign investment.

37 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Sky and all the foreign tv companies are the paying consumers. They pay way more than the people buying tickets. They could (and should) give tickets away for next to nothing and it probably wouldn’t make much of a difference.

I can’t remember who it was but an owner said that his side could have zero spectators in the ground and it wouldn’t make much of a difference in terms of revenue.

On 05/07/2022 at 04:53, Dimmu said:

For me, there's only been a football. F1 is globe destroying circus and in boxing, the goal is to cause severe brain damage to an opponent. Not the easiest sports to like IMO.

I quite like decathlon, triathlon and biathlon even though I don't follow them. Proper athletes. Maybe I should give a go.

I like decathlon and triathlon too. I didn't really see the need for biathlon, but nowadays it seems you do have to cater for all sorts of genders and sexual persuasions don’t you. There will be Lbgtathlons next. It’s political correctness gone mad I tell thee.

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I like decathlon and triathlon too. I didn't really see the need for biathlon, but nowadays it seems you do have to cater for all sorts of genders and sexual persuasions don’t you. There will be Lbgtathlons next. It’s political correctness gone mad I tell thee.

Not really. If you’re transgender, you still want to be able to compete, so there has to be a category for you. You can’t just not compete cos you don’t fit into one of the boxes, that’s not very fair. I think what British triathalon have done is quite a neat little solution. 

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I can’t remember who it was but an owner said that his side could have zero spectators in the ground and it wouldn’t make much of a difference in terms of revenue.

I think it was Mel Morris. 

He nearly succeeded too, we were pretty close to having zero spectators in the ground under his masterplan. 

Having a ground at all wasn't a given, mind.

I just watched 20 mins of the end of first half of England v Austria women's Euros 

Didn't see a free kick, any petulant foot stamping. Nobody died with injuries. Nobody told the ref to feck off. No time wasting. Just football. 

Maybe some football lives on. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I just watched 20 mins of the end of first half of England v Austria women's Euros 

Didn't see a free kick, any petulant foot stamping. Nobody died with injuries. Nobody told the ref to feck off. No time wasting. Just football. 

Maybe some football lives on. 

Gareth Southgate could take note... 

England scored and then kept attacking rather than camping out on the edge of their own penalty area..... ?

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

The Premier League will be the first league to be funded more by overseas money than domestic money. They will want more for their money soon enough. 

We all know which way it's going, but no one is really addressing it. 

On 05/07/2022 at 05:26, Bris Vegas said:

The younger generation don’t see it like that. They just see superstars, endless broadcasts and closer interaction with each club’s Youtube channels than anything before.

The younger generation has next-to-no interest in the lower leagues (because the quality in comparison is poor and that ultimately makes the games less entertaining).

The older generation detest the idea of a Super League but it’s going to happen. We’re edging closer and closer and it’s only a matter of time before the younger generation outweighs the older generation and they hold the majority vote.

My generation, born in the 80s, can remember growing up with Euro96 and the likes of Gazza, got the last touch before the money men came in. Not old enough to remember terrace standing but still old enough to remember a more level playing field and top-flight 3pm kick offs.

Those born late 90s and beyond have been exposed to just circus football.

As that late nineties generation, football for me has always been a Sky product. 

I’m of the generation that worships the Premiership that the tv money gave us as kids. That 04-11 era of the Prem is so well documented and mythologised with my mates. It’s still got a tight grip whether it’s watching Premier League Years or old clips of games/goals on social media.

I think subconsciously for my generation there’s an idea that the money has made football better but it’s just the tv product that’s better.

If people my age had ever known the relative parity of the 60’s-80’s, I think we’d prefer that but as you say, all we know is the circus.

Being a season ticket holder at a perennial championship club does give you a perspective that friends that support Chelsea/Liverpool etc don’t have. Football is sort of now an eternal hell hole where blood, sweat and tears go into just trying to get a seat at the PL table.

It’s a point that’s been made a million times but…that’s the grand prize for so many clubs is being the team that people from all corners of the world are watching Man City stick four past on a Monday night.

4 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

As that late nineties generation, football for me has always been a Sky product. 

I’m of the generation that worships the Premiership that the tv money gave us as kids. That 04-11 era of the Prem is so well documented and mythologised with my mates. It’s still got a tight grip whether it’s watching Premier League Years or old clips of games/goals on social media.

I think subconsciously for my generation there’s an idea that the money has made football better but it’s just the tv product that’s better.

If people my age had ever known the relative parity of the 60’s-80’s, I think we’d prefer that but as you say, all we know is the circus.

Being a season ticket holder at a perennial championship club does give you a perspective that friends that support Chelsea/Liverpool etc don’t have. Football is sort of now an eternal hell hole where blood, sweat and tears go into just trying to get a seat at the PL table.

It’s a point that’s been made a million times but…that’s the grand prize for so many clubs is being the team that people from all corners of the world are watching Man City stick four past on a Monday night.

Good old Man City.  Remember when they were crap

"Spending power" in Leagues 1 & 2, ours specifically, is related more to the size of the club's fanbase and the facilities at PP - revenue from attendances, merchandise, commercial activities, sponsorship, conferences etc gives us higher income than the majority and means that we automatically can offer larger salaries (even under our Business Plan) and may seem more attractive to players. In the PL and Championship, it relates more to TV money and parachute payments, and the commercial benefits that come with international exposure than gate money etc. That's where the divide is growing, and will continue to grow, because the people pushing the agenda put no value whatsoever on either fairness or tradition.

Edited by Crewton

• 2 months later...