New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I do agree, but we are also in a position where we can't be overly selective and the main objective is spending the least amount of time in League One as possible. At least the older lads are coming in on at most a two year deal so we aren't saddled with a bloated, ageing squad long term.

You're right - needs must and beggars can't be choosers.

But if they serve their purpose and we get promoted, we're going to be in a similar position where we need to 'overhaul' the squad again next year. Getting ahead of myself of course, but there will need to be 5 or 6 replacements before we even look at improving the rest of the team.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I do agree, but we are also in a position where we can't be overly selective and the main objective is spending the least amount of time in League One as possible. At least the older lads are coming in on at most a two year deal so we aren't saddled with a bloated, ageing squad long term.

I know we will have a decent amount of ageing players this year but we can’t completely ignore younger recruits because, as you say, they’re on short term deals so we don’t want to have to completely remake the squad again shortly. Second to that, older players do have a tendency to get injured a bit more frequently so we need to be careful for that. 

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

After Collins, Forsyth, and potentially Stephens, I would like to see some youth come in.

As much as they're all shrewd signing, I'd prefer us not to be that one club where the majority of the squad are over 30 years old.

We're missing players in that 23-28 age bracket. However these will be harder to find without paying a transfer fee.

I don't think at this stage we're in danger of our team being too old. We've got some good young players who will be in the team every week. Some experience and depth is what we've been missing.

But I agree after these next few signings it would be good to see some younger talent come in on loan perhaps.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

We also don't appear to be able to offer more than two year contracts and this will put younger players off coming to us.

Cynically perhaps not certain players or those with certain agents who may think if they have couple good years here they will get more ?from the next transfer. Huge risk/reward strategy though

Pinch of this as always?, but as it’s my lunch break and I’m bored I thought I would share and speculate. Collins seems nailed on with the various media noise, regarding the trialists I’m hoping for Oduroh as he did well and we need rb options and Glover as an academy/bench option. 

14 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Pinch of this as always?, but as it’s my lunch break and I’m bored I thought I would share and speculate. Collins seems nailed on with the various media noise, regarding the trialists I’m hoping for Oduroh as he did well and we need rb options and Glover as an academy/bench option. 

There's also Rooney who was captain for the U21s the other night.