Promotion rivals watch

IslandExile

Let's look forward. And think about the football.

If CK seals the deal and Rooney stays, the future is going to be great - even if the EFL will still be there.

Ipswich are already installed as early favourites.

Sunderland too, if they don't go up this season in the playoffs.

But further points deductions or not, transfer budgets or not, I believe we will be in the running.

So exciting. COYR ?

Hate to spoil the League 1 promotion party but I think you're in for a shock if you think it'll be easy to bounce straight back. Ipswich, Pompey, Sunderland, both Sheffield clubs, us and Leeds amongst others have found it (and still find it) very difficult to get out of. And that's without being in the state your squad will be in at the end of June.

I would also say that Rooney has a lot to prove, this season was win/win for him as he has been dealt an awful hand so any points at all are bonuses really. Next season you're one of the cup finals for most teams and regardless of how your squad looks you'll be considered favourites week in week out based on the name alone. Rooney has never managed when he's expected to win games so it'll be interesting to see if he can cope.

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Hate to spoil the League 1 promotion party but I think you're in for a shock if you think it'll be easy to bounce straight back. Ipswich, Pompey, Sunderland, both Sheffield clubs, us and Leeds amongst others have found it (and still find it) very difficult to get out of. And that's without being in the state your squad will be in at the end of June.

What promotion party would that be?

Honestly, I'm getting pretty sick of patronising posts like these from fans who feel the need to reality check everyone who posts anything remotely upbeat. And FWIW, I've not seen a single post, not one, where the poster in question suggests we're going to walk the league. Even if I had, I'd not feel the need to qualify it with a 'healthy does of realism', especially after the season we've just had.

Frankly, I think many of us have had all the 'realism' we can stomach right now. In any instance, my guess would be that the only party the vast majority are contemplating will be the one occurring if or when the takeover is confirmed. 

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

And FWIW, I've not seen a single post, not one, where the poster in question suggests we're going to walk the league. Even if I had, I'd not feel the need to qualify it with a 'healthy does of realism', especially after the season we've just had.

This thread title for one, looking at which teams might compete with you for promotion. With more points deductions coming, a squad even my 8 month old could get a game with and an unproven manager I'd say the rivals you should be worried about are ones for relegation. 

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

This thread title for one, looking at which teams might compete with you for promotion. With more points deductions coming, a squad even my 8 month old could get a game with and an unproven manager I'd say the rivals you should be worried about are ones for relegation. 

Since when are we getting further points deductions? Keep up would you.

The squad is paper thin atm, but it still has some good players in it. If the takeover goes through we'll fill the gaps pretty quickly and if it doesnt then no point worrying about it. 

Your team is going for promotion this year. Maybe focus on that rather than trying to be a killjoy on our forum. 

48 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I would also say that Rooney has a lot to prove, this season was win/win for him as he has been dealt an awful hand so any points at all are bonuses really. Next season you're one of the cup finals for most teams and regardless of how your squad looks you'll be considered favourites week in week out based on the name alone. Rooney has never managed when he's expected to win games so it'll be interesting to see if he can cope.

Bye

35 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Well if we don't start the season aiming for promotion what's the point in competing - I ask you that obviously as you'll have plenty of experience there.

37 minutes ago, Augustus said:

There’s a number of your squad players that wouldn’t even make our starting 11.

Yes next seasons going to be tough, very tough. But after the season we’ve had I think it’s ok for our fans to feel a little optimism.

47 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

What promotion party would that be?

Honestly, I'm getting pretty sick of patronising posts like these from fans who feel the need to reality check everyone who posts anything remotely upbeat. And FWIW, I've not seen a single post, not one, where the poster in question suggests we're going to walk the league. Even if I had, I'd not feel the need to qualify it with a 'healthy does of realism', especially after the season we've just had.

Frankly, I think many of us have had all the 'realism' we can stomach right now. In any instance, my guess would be that the only party the vast majority are contemplating will be the one occurring if or when the takeover is confirmed. 

You know he's a Forest fan?

I'll get rid of him!