Promotion rivals watch

IslandExile

57 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Hate to spoil the League 1 promotion party but I think you're in for a shock if you think it'll be easy to bounce straight back. Ipswich, Pompey, Sunderland, both Sheffield clubs, us and Leeds amongst others have found it (and still find it) very difficult to get out of. And that's without being in the state your squad will be in at the end of June.

I would also say that Rooney has a lot to prove, this season was win/win for him as he has been dealt an awful hand so any points at all are bonuses really. Next season you're one of the cup finals for most teams and regardless of how your squad looks you'll be considered favourites week in week out based on the name alone. Rooney has never managed when he's expected to win games so it'll be interesting to see if he can cope.

For every Sunderland there is a Hull. It really depends which way you look at it. Of course you choose to take the view that Derby will struggle. Personally I think it requires a bit of balance.

All the clubs you have mentioned were a mess and went down under a cloud. The difference with Derby is that there is a potential takeover and a chance for a fresh start. The fanbase is united and the team that has been relegated isn't actually a relegation side.

You talk about Rooney potentially struggling to cope with the expectation despite the fact he was a serial winner as a player and knows exactly how to handle pressure. To essentially say that Rooney has had it easy this season, because there was no expectation to get results, is very unfair.

Yes there is a lot of work to do in the summer but if the takeover happens soon then I suspect quite a few of the current players will sign contracts. There is no reason why we cannot be really competitive next season. 

44 minutes ago, Augustus said:

This thread title for one, looking at which teams might compete with you for promotion. With more points deductions coming, a squad even my 8 month old could get a game with and an unproven manager I'd say the rivals you should be worried about are ones for relegation. 

24 teams will kick off in August Augustus, All will be competing for promotion, So in effect will become our rivals. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

You know he's a Forest fan?

I'll get rid of him! 

Aw don't - I am actually starting to find it hilarious that despite everything that's happened to us, and where Notts Forest are concerned, who are having one of their best seasons for millennia, they still feel compelled to come on here and try and gloat.  Obsessed, bless them. Clearly harbouring secret desires to be a Ram.  Why else be that interested. 

8 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Aw don't - I am actually starting to find it hilarious that despite everything that's happened to us, and where Notts Forest are concerned, who are having one of their best seasons for millennia, they still feel compelled to come on here and try and gloat.  Obsessed, bless them. Clearly harbouring secret desires to be a Ram.  Why else be that interested. 

Because he will be a sad loser with such a pathetic life that he will think getting an account on here and trying to wind people up is the funniest clever thing ever not realising what that says about him

Don't kick the Forest fan! They've spent a few seasons in League One I wanted to find out what it's like. Last time Derby were there it wasn't even called League One and I was more involved with Button Moon and my sippy cup rather than any footballing cup...

4 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

What promotion party would that be?

Honestly, I'm getting pretty sick of patronising posts like these from fans who feel the need to reality check everyone who posts anything remotely upbeat. And FWIW, I've not seen a single post, not one, where the poster in question suggests we're going to walk the league. Even if I had, I'd not feel the need to qualify it with a 'healthy does of realism', especially after the season we've just had.

Frankly, I think many of us have had all the 'realism' we can stomach right now. In any instance, my guess would be that the only party the vast majority are contemplating will be the one occurring if or when the takeover is confirmed. 

I hope this post isn't lost in this thread as a response to a WUM.

We all know the situation - there is absolutely no need for us to preface each and every contribution with a restating of the facts.

Let's move on.

We hope CK will complete the takeover. If not, let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

For now, I'm looking forward to the new season already. I genuinely believe it's going to be fun - and focused on football 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well if we don't start the season aiming for promotion what's the point in competing - I ask you that obviously as you'll have plenty of experience there.

Exactly Macca but I have seen a number of posters on here say they didn’t want us to go up when we were challenging to get in the Premiership…..got to take the opportunity when it comes, can’t pick and choose. If the takeover goes through without a hitch and we start on zero points we will be in the hunt…