World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

39 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I was wondering about the ticket sales. If you've got say 4,000 England fans, and say the same from Wales. So that's 8,000 in a 40,000 (?) Stadium? Maybe some fans of other teams on a day off, if they've got spare cash? So when they play each other, where are the extra 30,000 coming from?

Oh well, guess we'll soon find out.

My only direct experience was Ecuador v Costa Rica in Hamburg 2006. Full stadium, with mostly neutrals - the locals and people like my friends and I, who just wanted to experience a bit of a world cup. I assume this is kind of typical at world cups.

I'm interested to see if that mixture of local interest and general curiosity is present in this world cup.

7 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

You been living in Doha for the last 12 years? People have been criticising the choice to choose them and Qatar ever since it was announced.

Qatar seems a thoroughly unsuitable place for a world cup due to its size alone let alone HR abuses.

I'm actually on about all the celebrities and people in the public eye who have only just started their outpouring of disgust five minutes before the tournament begins 

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

There are a lot of British expats in that part of the world but how many of them will bother going though I don't know. I guess we'll find out. This is one of the problems you have when you're hosting a world tournament inside a country with 3 million residents and 300,000 citizens. There are simply not likely to be enough people to fill the stadiums for the games. There are already rumours circulating that the regime are having to pay people to attend games or pretend to support certain teams in a desperate bid to create an 'atmosphere'. 

This is what I was saying. Hosting the World Cup should be awarded to a country that has a well established footballing culture. Then you know you’ve got loads of fans there that are just happy to go to any game to be a part of it.

without meaning to generalise, or sound like I have a clue what I’m talking about in any way, I’m sure there’s a great many Qataris who really couldn’t give a monkeys about the World Cup. So there’s no reason to believe the average am citizen is likely to turn up (without some incentive).

Qatar are among the lowest ranked team in the competition. Didn’t earn their right to be there. I really hope they get spanked to show that not only from a off field point of view, but also an on field point of view, they shouldn’t be anywhere near the tournament. 

Really really struggling to get excited about this World Cup.

Fifa have sunk lower into corruption and deceit than I thought was possible,  England have an uninspiring manager and team and wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get through the group.

Hoping Ecuador do the business this afternoon.

4 minutes ago, David said:

BBC have boycotted the opening ceremony, not showing it whilst talking about human rights issues. Causing a stir on Twitter

With being a BBC licence payer I think that's disgusting, I mean fancy it causing a stir on twitter ? 

7 minutes ago, David said:

BBC have boycotted the opening ceremony, not showing it whilst talking about human rights issues. Causing a stir on Twitter

Wrong editorial decision for me.

Showing Morgan Freeman talking about "Football for All" whilst some crap stage props parade around the pitch would be more revealing than Shearer, Scott and Williams giving their surface level opinions.

Edited by JoetheRam

25 minutes ago, David said:

That’ll teach Qatar. 

Things will change there now. Ru Paul’s XI will soon be playing Claire Balding’s XI with Qatari top brass bringing out the oranges.