World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

5 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Looked a penalty to me - as did the Maguire wrestling in the first half - how the same VAR official can come to different decisions for the two incidents is baffling.....

For theirs it was a clear and significant shirt tug holding him back from the header. No question it was a pen.

For ours, while Maguire was probably wrestled to the ground he's a big lad and was wrestling back and had an arm all around the defender, so it could be argued he'd created the situation and gone down looking for the penalty. Absolutely no need and, as a result, the VAR officials couldn't give the pen. We've got to be cleverer in those situations.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes of course it was done to publicise the issue. Nothing to do with self publicity. Clearly.

Yes. This seems to be the fresh pivot for all those who were slating him for shredding the cash. Now they are slating him because they reckon he has just done it for self-publicity. Hard to figure out why so many people have a problem with him really

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yes. This seems to be the fresh pivot for all those who were slating him for shredding the cash. Now they are slating him because they reckon he has just done it for self-publicity. Hard to figure out why so many people have a problem with him really

Maybe because he is taking a serious issue and using it for self publicity, all under the guise of highlighting the issue...that everyone was already talking about anyway?

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The USA play like a team managed by Paul Warne. They could take a big scalp in the round of 16 

You think?     I don't think any teams in this tournament will play anything like we do.  They all view possession more important than Warne. 

Not slagging him off btw.  I'm fully onboard the Warne train.   I just think international football is much more slower paced and possession based then Warne's favoured style.  

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

How are Iran ranked 20th in the world?

Scotland would beat them easily and that is saying something.

Gamed the system and hardly ever beat a top side. Snatched a 1-0 win at home to Uraguay in September. The previous result against a 'top' side was a 1-1 draw woth Korea in 2021 and then again in 2019.

Tbf, at the last World Cup in 2018, they drew 1-1 woth Portugal and narrowly lost to Spain 1-0 (and beat Morocco 1-0)

10 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Iran don’t look happy. 

Well they’re playing only because their government has forced them to. If they don’t their kids or parents  might disappear. Their team mates who are overtly political are on the bench and won’t be used. And we’ve got Ian Wright et al (including on here) wondering why Iran are ‘disappointing’. 

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

But my were Iran dreadful. Their hearts didn't look in it. Not singing their anthem, booed and whistled by their own crowd...... 

speechless 

they put their lives at risk not singing the anthem. Brave men 

Edited by kevinhectoring

43 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

You think?     I don't think any teams in this tournament will play anything like we do.  They all view possession more important than Warne. 

Not slagging him off btw.  I'm fully onboard the Warne train.   I just think international football is much more slower paced and possession based then Warne's favoured style.  

I’m thinking the USA’s physicality and fitness (which Warne so admires) might upset a top 10 side who play that possession based game.  

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Whatever you think of Grealish, this is top drawer...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/63709938

Agreed..to be thinking of a promise he made to a young fan under the circumstances of scoring your first World Cup goal shows the class of the man.  That young lad will remember what Grealish did for the rest of his life 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Gamed the system and hardly ever beat a top side. Snatched a 1-0 win at home to Uraguay in September. The previous result against a 'top' side was a 1-1 draw woth Korea in 2021 and then again in 2019.

Tbf, at the last World Cup in 2018, they drew 1-1 woth Portugal and narrowly lost to Spain 1-0 (and beat Morocco 1-0)

I understand the World Cup is on occasion. It brings countries from every habitable continent into one tournament.

But there is no doubt a major drop in levels when you bring as many as six Asian sides along.

South Korea and Japan are by far the most established but they’re only what I’d call third tier sides if you consider the likes of Mexico, Colombia, Croatia and Denmark as second tier.

Saudi Arabia and Iran are taking up places of far better European sides.