World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

If countries wanted to really make a worthwhile statement they would have got together and agreed a mass/partial withdrawal from the tournament. For maximum effect they could have announced it at the last moment. 

Had, for example, England, Denmark, Australia and a few big hitters done so it would have devalued the tournament and made a proper stand as well as causing deserved chaos for FIFA and the bribing Qataris. Fancy armbands and all round tutting doesn't achieve a great deal.  

2 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

12 years everyone has had to call out what happens in Qatar and they all wait until the last minute to air their views just so they can be seen in a good light 

There's enough shyte out there Mick from the last 12 years if you care to research where people have called out FIFA, If you're going to hit FIFA hit them when the competition starts, Infantino has just put out an appetiser, Journalists will drip feed at their pace with much more selective pieces of angst, FIFA will be shown for what they are if some didn't already know.

Blatter, Platini, Blazer, Warner were the trail blazers for corruption. 

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa-officials-and-five-corporate-executives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

Just to add

After all, a few years ago Infantino was flattering 2018 host Russia and Vladimir Putin despite the concerns of human rights activists.

FIFA then had to ban Russia from this World Cup for invading Ukraine.

Edited by Unlucky Alf

11 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

12 years everyone has had to call out what happens in Qatar and they all wait until the last minute to air their views just so they can be seen in a good light 

You been living in Doha for the last 12 years? People have been criticising the choice to choose them and Qatar ever since it was announced.

Qatar seems a thoroughly unsuitable place for a world cup due to its size alone let alone HR abuses.

Edited by alexxxxx

48 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Does anyone know how many England fans are expected to be there, and secondly, is it true that all the group games will be in half empty stadiums?

Taken from the BBC

How many fans are going?

About 3,000 to 4,000 England fans are expected to travel to Qatar for the group stages, with numbers set to increase should Gareth Southgate's side reach the knockout stages.

An estimated 2,000 to 3,000 supporters will fly out to follow Wales, who are playing in their first World Cup since 1958.

Ashley Brown, the Football Supporters' Association head of supporter engagement, says the "big unknown" is the number of British expats, with "more than 20,000 British passport holders in Qatar and probably over 100,000 overall in the region".

Brown says England fans are not travelling in the same numbers as previous tournaments because of the costs involved, while the timing of the World Cup - outside of the usual summer school holidays - will "impact the ability of families to attend".

"For a lot of people Qatar doesn't sound like an exciting place to go, it's not a typical holiday destination, lack of alcohol availability, cost of getting there, cost when you're there, it's put a lot of people off," added Brown. "The cost of living absolutely plays a part in that."

Paul Corkrey, of the Football Supporters' Association Cymru added: "We took 50,000 to the 2016 Euros in France so the response has been muted mainly because of the location and time of year it is being played."

As for half empty stadiums

If reports are correct people are/will be paid or asked/told to turn up, Qatar/FIFA will not want the world to see Stadia not full as this will be bad for both Qatar/FIFA, So I guess just wait and see ?‍♀️

36 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Games being played in front of fans paid to attend.... yes that will create a great atmosphere I am sure..... the closer we have gotten to kick off the more riled up I have become over this 

I was wondering about the ticket sales. If you've got say 4,000 England fans, and say the same from Wales. So that's 8,000 in a 40,000 (?) Stadium? Maybe some fans of other teams on a day off, if they've got spare cash? So when they play each other, where are the extra 30,000 coming from?

Oh well, guess we'll soon find out.

1 minute ago, ketteringram said:

I was wondering about the ticket sales. If you've got say 4,000 England fans, and say the same from Wales. So that's 8,000 in a 40,000 (?) Stadium? Maybe some fans of other teams on a day off, if they've got spare cash? So when they play each other, where are the extra 30,000 coming from?

Oh well, guess we'll soon find out.

There are a lot of British expats in that part of the world but how many of them will bother going though I don't know. I guess we'll find out. This is one of the problems you have when you're hosting a world tournament inside a country with 3 million residents and 300,000 citizens. There are simply not likely to be enough people to fill the stadiums for the games. There are already rumours circulating that the regime are having to pay people to attend games or pretend to support certain teams in a desperate bid to create an 'atmosphere'. 

52 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Games being played in front of fans paid to attend.... yes that will create a great atmosphere I am sure..... the closer we have gotten to kick off the more riled up I have become over this 

Don't get riled up Leeds, Not yours or my fault, It's how the World of football works, Big money, Corruption and double standards are rife in the game worldwide, Those who are elected to look after "the beautiful game" have no interest other than feathering their own nests at the expense of the fans, Altho some "fans" and I say this loosely will pay or have been paid to shout out loud for what we would call...FOUL!