POLL: Will Morris cave?

Kernow

Mel & Pride Park  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Relatively simple question, not aimed to try and create a slinging match about MM. No libellous or personal insults about Morris as per forum rules please.

Based on the news/speculation from Percy today, it seems the only way we can avoid -15 is if the stadium price is dropped. Realistically that's the only part of the charge for the Club that can be dropped to make it cheaper. We might still have some interest if we end up with -15 in next season, but for a League One team with half a starting 11 I doubt it.

Mel Morris came out of the blue to sort the Gibson issue when it didn't look likely. Do you think he'll do the same last minute for the stadium to allow somebody to buy the Club without the -15 next season and further restrictions, making us a hugely more attractive proposition.

When it comes down to it, you have to ask, whether a man of his wealth would really see the Club he apparently supports and loves, go to the wall so he can keep what would be a then relatively worthless stadium. Morris would be the one who loses out, not the prospective buyers. People with that money to buy a Club will wait for another to come along. Morris can't exactly wait for another Club to come along for his stadium...

Edited by Kernow
pour les pedants

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Mel has nothing to lose.

He either gets the 22 million or whatever it is for the stadium, or he keeps a stadium worth an alleged 80 million.

If he keeps the stadium he will no doubt stick a roof on and turn it into a performance venue.

Mel won't take a hair cut.

Good luck him getting anyone from Derby attending that venue in the future to cover the cost of the roof. 

Don’t see why there isn’t a fourth option - the bidder offers to lease the ground and say buy it outright in 3-5 years time, with the value based on which league we’re in.

I get that a buyer couldn’t replace Pride Park for the cash Mels asking, but neither is the ground much use to him if the new owner gives him the Vs and goes down a more radical route. Paying somewhere between a nominal and market rent gets the deal done now (until the next sticking point comes out of the woodwork)

Needs to be some form of compromise to get a deal done and the stadium doesn’t need to be a day 1 deal blocker.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Mel has nothing to lose.

He either gets the 22 million or whatever it is for the stadium, or he keeps a stadium worth an alleged 80 million.

If he keeps the stadium he will no doubt stick a roof on and turn it into a performance venue.

Mel won't take a hair cut.

I can’t see how even he could happily sit with that stadium knowing he destroyed the club that it was made to be the home for - it is going back to derby county one way or another.  I 100 per cent believe that. 

8 minutes ago, Ramos said:

I can’t see how even he could happily sit with that stadium knowing he destroyed the club that it was made to be the home for - it is going back to derby county one way or another.  I 100 per cent believe that. 

It will be a Mausoleum for DCFC. MM is the executioner and will be as welcome in Derbyshire as the Black Plague

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Relatively simple question, not aimed to try and create a slinging match about MM. No libellous or personal insults about Morris as per forum rules please.

Based on the news/speculation from Percy today, it seems the only way we can avoid -15 is if the stadium price is dropped. Realistically that's the only part of the charge for the Club that can be dropped to make it cheaper. We might still have some interest if we end up with -15 in next season, but for a League One team with half a starting 11 I doubt it.

Mel Morris came out of the blue to sort the Gibson issue when it didn't look likely. Do you think he'll do the same last minute for the stadium to allow somebody to buy the Club without the -15 next season and further restrictions, making us a hugely more attractive proposition.

When it comes down to it, you have to ask, whether a man of his wealth would really see the Club he apparently supports and loves, go to the wall so he can keep what would be a then relatively worthless stadium. Morris would be the one who loses out, not the prospective buyers. People with that money to buy a Club will wait for another to come along. Morris can't exactly wait for another Club to come along for his stadium...

Reckon Option D is the most likely:

he’ll pay off enough of the MSD loan to ensure we avoid a points deduction/liquidation  

1 hour ago, Mountain Ram said:

Don’t see why there isn’t a fourth option - the bidder offers to lease the ground and say buy it outright in 3-5 years time, with the value based on which league we’re in.

I get that a buyer couldn’t replace Pride Park for the cash Mels asking, but neither is the ground much use to him if the new owner gives him the Vs and goes down a more radical route. Paying somewhere between a nominal and market rent gets the deal done now (until the next sticking point comes out of the woodwork)

Needs to be some form of compromise to get a deal done and the stadium doesn’t need to be a day 1 deal blocker.

Your quite right .  I've been saying this on here since October - earlier again today in fact.  He would really have to hand it over having got 10 million back though over 5 years and not get the full amount unless we wind up back in the big league.  

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

When you say cave, do you mean like some modern Smaug lying asleep on top of Pride Park or perhaps one stuffed with  golden shares and the admin team need to say open sesame to get something happening 

It depends I think on if he's got enough cash to budge. If he has, I think he may move so that we can survive but get hit with a 15 point penalty. If not then it's either a local government intervention so we can bypass this or the PB's up the bids to get us out of this or the club goes under. Unfortunately, we don't have any leverage on Mel so we're relying on him to do the decent thing and help clear up the almighty mess he's made.