Mel Or Bust?

DarkFruitsRam7

Mel Or Bust?  

231 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right, I’m 99.9% sure all this talk of Mel coming back is baalocks. But if it is true, I’d take anyone over liquidation.

So, in a completely hypothetical situation where these are the only possible outcomes, would you rather Mel come in as the ‘saviour’ or be liquidated?

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Genuinely, liquidation. I’d rather start again than have that scumbag allowed anywhere near Derby.

Really? When you look at who is and has been involved in football club ownership including some of our past owners then MM is a million miles from the worst. He made mistakes and decided he could no longer afford the cost of haemorrhaging cash. That is what he is guilty of. Get a sense of perspective. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

What Mel did to this football club is ridiculous.

He’s made mistakes of course he has.

The EFL had it in for Mel IMO

Retribution is not needed as we had some good times with Mel.

It’s all hypothetical  at the moment who PB will be but make no mistake Liquidation is a disaster despite you thinking it would be ok and should be avoided 

41 minutes ago, Curtains said:

That’s ridiculous 

There's an old saying "everyone deserves a 2nd chance" also the Parole board have given people 2nd chances to those after serving time for Murder, Only for them to Murder again.

Be careful of what might be round the corner

53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Genuinely, liquidation. I’d rather start again than have that scumbag allowed anywhere near Derby. At least there’d be a team I can be proud of, even if we were in the National League.

It wont be derby county though will it, it'll be a totally new club with no history. I'd sooner have Mel and keep our club.

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

That’s ridiculous 

I don't think it's ridiculous at all, given the inherent ridiculousness of supporting a football club in the first place.

When I first went to see Derby County, Clough and Taylor were in charge, O'Hare and Hector were upfront, we played at the BBG, our colours were white and navy blue and I don't think the Ramarena was even open - although I was too young to remember much beyond the noise and the smells.

The point is that there is almost nothing remaining of the club which I first supported - the same badge and the same city, but not much else. Consequently, supporting a club isn't a straightforward choice - it's more of an unconscious decision to continue a habit, maybe verging on an addiction. It's not a logical choice. As with any addiction, there will be moments when you question the costs and the benefits. With an alcoholic, such introspection is often caused by a maxed out credit card, a drink driving conviction or a damaged relationship.

I'd say for many, support for Derby County is at just such a crossroads. If we're relegated, some just won't find the motivation to get to matches or watch on Sky - and no, they should not be derided; there's no correct way to be a supporter. For others, having a tainted figure in charge of the club will be that thing that breaks the addiction - some would rather no club than a continuing reminder of what they've lost. Others would prefer a 'clean' club in tier 11 than an infected one in tier 2. I don't think that Mel would be the only potential owner who would repel a significant percentage of the fanbase either - Russian oligarchs,  people with ties to repressive regimes and neo-Nazis would also be the final straw for many.

Personally, Mel remaining in charge wouldn't stop me from supporting Derby County, but it would stop me renewing my season ticket. So for the original question; if the choice is final liquidation and oblivion or Mel Morris, I'd chose Mel Morris. If the choice is between Mel Morris and a continuation Phoenix club in the NPL, then I'd take the local derbies with Matlock and Buxton.

22 minutes ago, Curtains said:

He’s made mistakes of course he has.

The EFL had it in for Mel IMO

Retribution is not needed as we had some good times with Mel.

It’s all hypothetical  at the moment who PB will be but make no mistake Liquidation is a disaster despite you thinking it would be ok and should be avoided 

Well.

Remember when Mel and the Leeds owner wanted to play that friendly mid season ? All to do with having a separate tv deal or something wasn’t it?