An unpopular opinon

TuffLuff

First off, I’m full of admiration for the march and those involved. In fact, everybody’s efforts these last few weeks and months. I’ve felt for a good number of years now, from being at games, online, phone ins etc, a division in the fan base. Whether it’s city vs county support, young vs old, pro Mel vs anti Mel, Mclaren, Martin…it’s not just disagreement, we lost a sense of the community and became any other club. The work that’s gone in, the poetry of Jamie Thrasivoulou, the online council meetings, the flags,  the forums, Punjabi rams, Rooney, supporters group, whoever have helped bring that sense of community together in the most adverse of conditions. It culminated yesterday and I applaud every single person who made it happen.

But…from a 100% footballing perspective I do think we need a rethink the approach a bit going forward. I’ve watched our young squad in the last two games really struggle with the occasion for large parts of the game and I don’t think the emotions involved are overly helping them. The Forest game being Forest was enough without the excitement around the Binnie bid 18 hours before (maybe couldn’t be helped, but focus felt elsewhere imo), then yesterday it’s hard to live up to that expectation pregame and we looked like it was too much. ‘Mentally leggy’ is how I’d describe both performances, passes behind players or bobbling to the player or going forward tackles that they would never win. 

If we think we have a chance of staying up, we need to do right by the players and consider the knock on effects of these actions and what we can do. I don’t think we should stop necessarily, just maybe consider how it’s done. If we were already relegated and wanted to make a point then I’d say carry on in a similar vein, but I’m not sure how much it’s helping this depleted side at this moment.

Theres so much positivity to talk about, but I just wanted to bring this up as a point of consideration. Again, huge props to those fans who’ve done their bit and I don’t want to undermine what they have done at all.

Edited by TuffLuff

10 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

First off, I’m full of admiration for the march and those involved. In fact, everybody’s efforts these last few weeks and months. I’ve felt for a good number of years now, from being at games, online, phone ins etc, a division in the fan base. Whether it’s city vs county support, young vs old, pro Mel vs anti Mel, Mclaren, Martin…it’s not just disagreement, we lost a sense of the community and became any other club. The work that’s gone in, the poetry of Jamie Thrasivoulou, the online council meetings, the flags,  the forums, Punjabi rams, Rooney, supporters group, whoever have helped bring that sense of community together in the most adverse of conditions. It culminated yesterday and I applaud every single person who made it happen.

But…from a 100% footballing perspective I do think we need a rethink the approach a bit going forward. I’ve watched our young squad in the last two games really struggle with the occasion for large parts of the game and I don’t think the emotions involved are overly helping them. The Forest game being Forest was enough without the excitement around the Binnie bid 18 hours before (maybe couldn’t be helped, but focus felt elsewhere imo), then yesterday it’s hard to live up to that expectation pregame and we looked like it was too much. ‘Mentally leggy’ is how I’d describe both performances, passes behind players or bobbling to the player or going forward tackles that they would never win. 

If we think we have a chance of staying up, we need to do right by the players and consider the knock on effects of these actions and what we can do. I don’t think we should stop necessarily, just maybe consider how it’s done. If we were already relegated and wanted to make a point then I’d say carry on in a similar vein, but I’m not sure how much it’s helping this depleted side at this moment.

Theres so much positivity to talk about, but I just wanted to bring this up as a point of consideration. Again, huge props to those fans who’ve done their bit and I don’t want to undermine what they have done at all.

Don't get what you're suggesting.

The F*rest game was a local Derby and will always be 'emotional', the Brum game made obvious our squad limitations.

It is also possible that somewhat like last season the pressure of the situation and the expectations gets to the players (and staff). 

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I think this is why we hope Bielik is OK to play - Bird and Thompson both need to alternate being alongside Bielik to give them a breather and also will help their game.

Buchanan needs to come back now and share with Forsyth but perhaps Buchanan playing the majority. 

Bielik will be crucial, his composure on the ball is something not many on the others have at this moment. Jags had it and it’s another reason his absence is quite visible (Stearman is very good though)

I think mental fatigue is probably the best thing to call it.

It's exhausting going behind in matches and having to rely on last minute worldies to scrape a point - we've arguably done it too many times this season already. Add in to the fact that Derby have only had one game postponed due to Covid (although whether this is a factor is debatable - look at Reading), and a very small squad where players can't recover fully.

It surely must play in to the players minds that, should the worst happen, not only will they not have a job, but they won't be able to get another until the transfer window opens back up again. That might be fine for the Lawrences of the squad - but all those academy lads won't be on much...

Not sure I really follow.

Anything happening outside the ground, the players will not really be aware of. They might have known there was a march planned but wouldn't have seen any of it before the game and they are professionals, that shouldn't affect their preparations.

Inside the ground there was a great atmosphere. Not sure what more fans could have done or done differently. A few less EFL chants and more pro-Derby ones probably wouldn't make that much difference. 

We're a long way from staying up still, 7, potentially 8 points if Posh win their game in hand with 18 games remaining, so nearly half a point to gain per match. The pressure hasn't really been on the players to win the last couple of months - the pressure is more on to perform and show fight and heart - which they have.

If it gets down to the last 6 games and we're within 3 points say - that's when the pressure to win will ramp up and that's when the players and Rooney being good enough will be the key factor and that's when we can start treating each game as a final.

12 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting as an 'unpopular opinion'? Do you want less media coverage, some fans to stay away from the game, not cheer when we score? Maybe we should ask to play a couple of games behind closed doors to give them chance to relax a bit? Just what is it that you would change in the current environment to get where you think you need to?

From my side, I can't see how knowing you have every supporter who has ever supported the club behind you can be anything other than positive. Who knows how 'mentally leggy' (weird image: is it like having a low physical IQ?) they would be anyway, let's not forget this is a relegation battle and many players are in their first couple (or even last couple) of seasons so it's hard to expect them to be on it for 46 games, 90+6 minutes each week. They are playing out of their skins and - on a points per game ratio - we will finish above Reading if we carry on at this rate (they will finish on 36 points, we will finish on 38) so it seems it is all moving in the right direction, no matter how young, or old, they are.

I am not certain the players have been overly affected by the atmosphere of the last 2 games. Many of them are quite inconsistent, and 'limited' to a degree by age or experience, such that if anything the off-field ramping up of expectations is simply magnifying inconsistent performance on the pitch. The team are getting results based on adrenaline, and a never give up attitude, rather than because 'they are a good footballing side'. We probably have only put together one 90 minute performance all season.

That might seem critical. It is not meant to be. I think if we can keep the youngsters we have together, augmented with a couple of decent signings in key positions, we will have the makings of a really good team over the next couple of seasons. What we have now is a happy and honest bunch of lads, doing their utmost for the Club, backed up by an inspirational manager, and a good team around him. I have been longing for a team spirit like this since 2013/14 which was really the last time I thought we had a dressing room togetherness, and a team to be proud of.

They seemed to respond pretty well and we got the draw. It's called experience and there could be more nerve wracking games to come including the possibility of a last game of the season, winner takes all showdown so they need to know what PP is like when expectations are high.

We have a team with a never say die attitude and a motivated and enthusiastic fan base. It's a good thing. Our you players are benefiting. Plange had his best game yet and our midfield was ineffective because it was being bypassed. Tactically Bowyer got it right yesterday they got in our faces but we battled our way back into it. 

I have no fears about putting too much expectation on them because WTF have we or out team got to lose? Do you think Wayne was soft soaping it in the dressing room? No he wasn't he told them they were pants at half time and that they'd better sort it out.

13 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I think mental fatigue is probably the best thing to call it.

It's exhausting going behind in matches and having to rely on last minute worldies to scrape a point - we've arguably done it too many times this season already. Add in to the fact that Derby have only had one game postponed due to Covid (although whether this is a factor is debatable - look at Reading), and a very small squad where players can't recover fully.

It surely must play in to the players minds that, should the worst happen, not only will they not have a job, but they won't be able to get another until the transfer window opens back up again. That might be fine for the Lawrences of the squad - but all those academy lads won't be on much...

If liquidated, players are free to join and play for other clubs straight away

I think yesterday was a one-off. Loads of people who don't usually go went because at the time they bought tickets they thought it might be Derby's last game or given the huge publicity in recent weeks culminating in the march they wanted to support the club/city.

As for the players, I agree they look a bit mentally knackered and did look a little unsettled, but hopefully for the younger ones, the experience of playing in front of a full house with a massive atmosphere will be something they want to do every week at Derby or elsewhere, so hopefully once they have taken stock it will spur them on.

For supporters, what's the alternative to the OP? Not turn up? Not try and make noise? Not show our support? I don't know what @TuffLuff thinks the answer is?

29 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I think this is why we hope Bielik is OK to play - Bird and Thompson both need to alternate being alongside Bielik to give them a breather and also will help their game.

Buchanan needs to come back now and share with Forsyth but perhaps Buchanan playing the majority. 

You know I think sometimes you can look for too many reasons, too deep as to why we wasn’t at our best, yet this stood out most for me. Put Shinnie instead of one of those pair and we might have had more control of midfield; really think against the bigger teams, he’s a massive loss. Let’s hope Bielik isn’t out for too long.

29 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Bielik will be crucial, his composure on the ball is something not many on the others have at this moment. Jags had it and it’s another reason his absence is quite visible (Stearman is very good though)

It seems that Davies has lost some confidence with Stearman playing alongside to me, the reason being that Jagielka was confident with ball at feet and him and Stearman are effectively the same player.  Battlers but not confident with ball at feet.  

I thought Thompson had his worst game for us so far yesterday. Not saying he was bad at all, but he didn't seem as composed as before and was guilty of some sloppy passing at the back (along with some others).

Not every game is going to go smoothly, but we've now got a backbone throughout the squad and we've come back in various games to rescue points (Reading, Brum) and nearly got all square with Forest, who have been in great form since Cooper took charge. This wouldn't have been the case last season, heads would've dropped and we'd just go through the motions in games.

The occasion can be a bit much for those who haven't experienced it before, but they're getting that experience now and holding their own while they get used to it. It'll put them in good stead for their future careers and hopefully DCFC can continue with this strong community support we're showing now.