An unpopular opinon

TuffLuff

5 minutes ago, roboto said:

I thought Thompson had his worst game for us so far yesterday. Not saying he was bad at all, but he didn't seem as composed as before and was guilty of some sloppy passing at the back (along with some others).

Not every game is going to go smoothly, but we've now got a backbone throughout the squad and we've come back in various games to rescue points (Reading, Brum) and nearly got all square with Forest, who have been in great form since Cooper took charge. This wouldn't have been the case last season, heads would've dropped and we'd just go through the motions in games.

The occasion can be a bit much for those who haven't experienced it before, but they're getting that experience now and holding their own while they get used to it. It'll put them in good stead for their future careers and hopefully DCFC can continue with this strong community support we're showing now.

Wasn't great against a very experienced midfield of clod hopping donkeys.  Looks like he may need a game or two out.  Should have given Knight a few games out and didn't last season.  Eventually he was ineffective for 10 games as he was spent.  He was of course a million times better than Forsyth who had the worst game I've seen since Forsyth against Sheff Wednesday. I'm getting a pattern

47 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

But…from a 100% footballing perspective I do think we need a rethink the approach a bit going forward. I’ve watched our young squad in the last two games really struggle with the occasion for large parts of the game and I don’t think the emotions involved are overly helping them. The Forest game being Forest was enough without the excitement around the Binnie bid 18 hours before (maybe couldn’t be helped, but focus felt elsewhere imo), then yesterday it’s hard to live up to that expectation pregame and we looked like it was too much. ‘Mentally leggy’ is how I’d describe both performances, passes behind players or bobbling to the player or going forward tackles that they would never win. 

If we think we have a chance of staying up, we need to do right by the players and consider the knock on effects of these actions and what we can do. I don’t think we should stop necessarily, just maybe consider how it’s done. If we were already relegated and wanted to make a point then I’d say carry on in a similar vein, but I’m not sure how much it’s helping this depleted side at this moment.

Theres so much positivity to talk about, but I just wanted to bring this up as a point of consideration. Again, huge props to those fans who’ve done their bit and I don’t want to undermine what they have done at all.

Have you ever got up in the Morning and thought shoot another day at work, I have, These footballers are the same BUT DIFFERENT if you get my meaning, They're not Robots, Humans have internal behaviour that's hard to explain, The younger ones can have as much coaching or being supported by the older players, But being young and thrown into a cauldren of noise when the loudest they've heard is Mum shouting "have you washed the pots yet?", Supporters expect their team to be like Man City...not going to happen.

We, You, Those who turn up week in and week out can only shout and scream, While those on the field try their best, Sometimes their best aint good enough, But i'll applaud then for trying, We have a collection of players that WR has been forced to use, I'll wager that if by some Miracle we survive at least 50% if not more will be gone by the wayside by season 22/23, WR in his own admission yesterday "we have to be better" or words to that effect.

No complaints from me, They're a joy to behold, The football for 70 mins wasn't great but they hung in there and got what they deserved.

And the deathly Silence from the blues when we got our 2nd...was a joy to hear ?

Just to be as clear as I can, I’m saying we might need to seperate the admin/EFL/Gibson/Wycombe ‘protest’ side of things with the ‘match day’ side of things whilst we’ve got a chance of staying up. 

Every point going forward will be vital now and the club’s (fans, players, staff, media) focus on a matchday needs to be on that. Yesterday was probably a one off and that’s fine, but I just think we need to make the games about the game? I’m sure I’ll have responses saying ‘well during the game we do get behind them’ and that’s 100% true and valid, and if we had a squad full of players in their prime I’d say bugger it because they should handle it, but we have a limited set of very young and old players. Are we putting a uniquely emotional atmosphere, on top of a unique set of circumstances and therefore putting extra pressure on players? 

Im not sure what the answer is, I get the idea of when the fans can get together and make a point is at games which makes I difficult, but maybe we need to look at doing it after the games and focus on the team beforehand? I fully support the idea of doing something, I just want to be sure it’s the right thing.

54 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Not sure I really follow.

Anything happening outside the ground, the players will not really be aware of. They might have known there was a march planned but wouldn't have seen any of it before the game and they are professionals, that shouldn't affect their preparations.

Inside the ground there was a great atmosphere. Not sure what more fans could have done or done differently. A few less EFL chants and more pro-Derby ones probably wouldn't make that much difference. 

We're a long way from staying up still, 7, potentially 8 points if Posh win their game in hand with 18 games remaining, so nearly half a point to gain per match. The pressure hasn't really been on the players to win the last couple of months - the pressure is more on to perform and show fight and heart - which they have.

If it gets down to the last 6 games and we're within 3 points say - that's when the pressure to win will ramp up and that's when the players and Rooney being good enough will be the key factor and that's when we can start treating each game as a final.

That’s fair enough, I think what I’m trying to say is that I think we need to be somewhat careful. I know we won’t go 2-0 down in every game, but when we need to pick up every win we can do we can’t not turn up for half the game and maybe look as to why it happened. I’m not making some great statement that the fans have done anything wrong at all, I was hoping it would come across as the opposite, I just think we need some consideration going forward.

I think the players are probably just living on their nerves a little, much like us fans. It can't be easy for them with everything that's going on and losing battle-hardened warriors like Jags and Shinniesta just places an even greater burden on the younger shoulders. I think we saw that yesterday, but our kids are pretty tough and I'm sure they'll bounce back. They will need minding though as it's going to be an incredibly gruelling season, even for the seasoned pros.

48 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Brum had about 3 new signings that helped them a lot.

Agree - I picked up on that during the game when the commentator (forget who said it exactly) said that getting new faces into a team, {in the transfer window} often freshens things up.  Struck me at the time that chance would be a fine thing. 

We ask these same players, week in week out to perform and give 100%.  It's not humanely possible.  Apart from maybe the last 15-20 mins, we were really poor yesterday, but still managed to get a draw, from a 2 goal deficit, albeit through two pieces of individual brilliance.  That still speaks volumes. 

10 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

No complaints from me, They're a joy to behold, The football for 70 mins wasn't great but they hung in there and got what they deserved.

Spot on. We seemed out of it when Hogan scored but then suddenly came alive. Birmingham had missed a couple of good chances to really put the game beyond our reach. But before we scored the first goal we had come back and created some good chances and we didn't get the penalty for the handball on the line, which most of us in the ground, including me, didn't pick up. Even with 15 minutes left I didn't really think the comeback was on because we'd had a bad day at the office but then Bingo! We went home with a point which actually felt like a win.

I'm not too troubled that we had an off  day yesterday. That happens to even the very best teams a few times over the course of a season and we got a vital point. But towards the end of November we were 19 points away from safety and now we are just seven away from that target with 18 games left and Reading for now at least are dropping like a stone. The confidence of our youngsters grows by the week. We, more than most clubs, suffered last season by the absence of a home crowd. Our fans are playing a massive part in that respect. Last season the atmosphere for the academy players was no different to what they experienced in academy games but the crowd now is giving them a huge lift.

So just for now I just don't get the need for anyone in the fanbase to start feeling despondent about on the field matters. Let's just enjoy it while the chance of an escape remains real.

COYR

Not sure if I even understand the OP, if I'm honest!
Summat to do with putting too much pressure on the lads?  ?‍♂️

We're Derby fans.  We don't do "Expectation"... high or otherwise!

The support we are currently giving is generally bang on... encouragement... nothing more!
I don't see us putting too much pressure on them.  I doubt many of us are going in to games EXPECTING to win... or even earn a valuable draw.  That's not to denigrate the individuals, or the team as a whole, I hasten to add.  More due to the lack of experience for some (young 'uns), and the lack of legs/stamina (old 'uns). Same goes for the inexperienced manager/coaches.  We don't EXPECT the tactics to be right all game, every game.  

But we are loving what they are serving up for us, and we are letting them all know we would like some more, pretty please... if they'd be so kind!

Each and everyone of them is already a hero, regardless of what happens next, and regardless of how the season finishes.  Much more of the same, and each and every one of them will elevate themselves to legendary status.  If that is pressure (I'm not sure it is!), then they should be lapping it up!  It will be in their nature to do so.  In their DNA.  They simply wouldn't have become professional sportsmen otherwise!

I am certain (unproven!) they would have seen the scenes before kick off yesterday.  I'm almost equally certain that Rooney's pre-match speech would have been something along the lines of... "Right lads... get yersens on twitter... check out the march... check out the turn out... and if you don't fancy it after seeing that, come back to me, and I'll find you another career"! 
I strongly suspect they were buzzing, and couldn't wait to get out there, to strut there stuff.

We all (fans, players, coaches etc) know games don't always go to plan.  This one didn't yesterday, but if anyone is unsure as to whether the players (and coaches) enjoyed their day's work or not, just check out their celebrations at the end.  It wasn't relief... it was pure unadulterated euphoria.

THEY.  ARE.  LUVVINIT!

?

1 hour ago, tinman said:

It was the older heads who seemed to be affected the most in the first half, not the younger ones

Totally agree! I thought the young players did well, the ones who were struggling most were the older players. 
onwards and upwards!

They'll be 'rate. A midweek away at Huddersfield and a couple of nightgames at Pride Park in front of just the faithful will give em a breather from all the "occasion" stuff! 

Coolest player on the park yesterday was Plange. Just a brief acknowledgement to the crowd as he raced back to the centre spot to get on with the game. That young man will shine.

As for Fozzy, he's always a bag of nerves in the big games. Surprised Rooney hasn't worked this out yet.

Totally get what the OP suggesting (and sorry havent read whole thread)and think the whole off-field situation will get to players but the club's very existence is at stake and the alternative of not raising our profile and the issues in point is a very dark place where what division we are in is irrelevant. 

40 minutes ago, angieram said:

They'll be 'rate. A midweek away at Huddersfield and a couple of nightgames at Pride Park in front of just the faithful will give em a breather from all the "occasion" stuff! 

Coolest player on the park yesterday was Plange. Just a brief acknowledgement to the crowd as he raced back to the centre spot to get on with the game. That young man will shine.

As for Fozzy, he's always a bag of nerves in the big games. Surprised Rooney hasn't worked this out yet.

I hope long term it’ll serve them well, and fully agree that we’ve got games coming up where we can focus on football a bit more! I want them to enjoy playing in front of a full house of football fans, but I don’t want them to have the whole weight of the city on their shoulders either I guess.

Fozzy tends to struggle when he’s a bit isolated and not got someone in front of him in a supporting role. So the attackers crossing over positions isn’t overly helpful but needs must at the minute. 

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

First off, I’m full of admiration for the march and those involved. In fact, everybody’s efforts these last few weeks and months. I’ve felt for a good number of years now, from being at games, online, phone ins etc, a division in the fan base. Whether it’s city vs county support, young vs old, pro Mel vs anti Mel, Mclaren, Martin…it’s not just disagreement, we lost a sense of the community and became any other club. The work that’s gone in, the poetry of Jamie Thrasivoulou, the online council meetings, the flags,  the forums, Punjabi rams, Rooney, supporters group, whoever have helped bring that sense of community together in the most adverse of conditions. It culminated yesterday and I applaud every single person who made it happen.

But…from a 100% footballing perspective I do think we need a rethink the approach a bit going forward. I’ve watched our young squad in the last two games really struggle with the occasion for large parts of the game and I don’t think the emotions involved are overly helping them. The Forest game being Forest was enough without the excitement around the Binnie bid 18 hours before (maybe couldn’t be helped, but focus felt elsewhere imo), then yesterday it’s hard to live up to that expectation pregame and we looked like it was too much. ‘Mentally leggy’ is how I’d describe both performances, passes behind players or bobbling to the player or going forward tackles that they would never win. 

If we think we have a chance of staying up, we need to do right by the players and consider the knock on effects of these actions and what we can do. I don’t think we should stop necessarily, just maybe consider how it’s done. If we were already relegated and wanted to make a point then I’d say carry on in a similar vein, but I’m not sure how much it’s helping this depleted side at this moment.

Theres so much positivity to talk about, but I just wanted to bring this up as a point of consideration. Again, huge props to those fans who’ve done their bit and I don’t want to undermine what they have done at all. 

You're overthinking it

Guys give your head a wobble! I take on board your comments but think of it like this our squad is threadbare most teams can rotate as many players as they want , they can replenish in the transfer window! 

we have our hands tied ofcourse we’re not going to play at top gear every game and will be leggy we’ve had two games where we looked very tired and a lack of a squad showed!

but if say ftom now on it goes like 1 bright performance = win two leggy where we at least a draw as long as Peterborough, reading and Barnsley continue to show they are terrible we have a chance 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I am currently taking the manager’s advice and getting plenty of rest in preparation for Wednesday.