The Administration Thread

Boycie

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just because a club doesn't run at a profit doesn't automatically result in additional debt. An owner can inject equity into the company, resulting in £0 of debt.

Owners should be able to invest as much as they want to in a club, but if there was some way of banning them from racking up debt, but investing it as equity, then that would solve a lot of football’s problems in a stroke. No debt allowed, owners would only invest what they can afford to lose.

4 minutes ago, curb said:

Owners should be able to invest as much as they want to in a club, but if there was some way of banning them from racking up debt, but investing it as equity, then that would solve a lot of football’s problems in a stroke. No debt allowed, owners would only invest what they can afford to lose.

"What they can afford to lose" is difficult to establish remember at one point we all under the illusion that CK had £20+ million to buy our club.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The issue is what you mean by 'value'.  Pride Park was basically valued on what it would cost us to replace it (less wear and tear etc), which is absolutely a standard way of valuing things like stadiums.  And when you look at Brentford paying £70m for a much smaller stadium, and Brighton paying £93m for theirs a decade ago, ~£80m is not remotely a crazy valuation.

Obviously in other contexts 'value' might mean completely different things to different people.

Apologies if I'm on my grassy knoll here.......but wasn't the 'value' of PP simply financial gymnastics to keep us on the right side of FFP rather than an actual valuation?

So for example, if my ltd business was £ x million in debt and in danger of falling foul of some arbitrary rule put in place by my industry body, I could buy a pencil from my business for £ x million pounds using my personal money to wipe out the business debt.

The value of something is what someone is daft enough to pay for it. DC appears less daft than MM. 

1 minute ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Apologies if I'm on my grassy knoll here.......but wasn't the 'value' of PP simply financial gymnastics to keep us on the right side of FFP rather than an actual valuation?

So for example, if my ltd business was £ x million in debt and in danger of falling foul of some arbitrary rule put in place by my industry body, I could buy a pencil from my business for £ x million pounds using my personal money to wipe out the business debt.

The value of something is what someone is daft enough to pay for it. DC appears less daft than MM. 

I don’t think it quite worked like that because Mel had to ‘prove’ that it was a fair valuation (although I’m sure there were some financial shenanigans going on to inflate the value as much as possible to make sure it was high enough to sort out our problems).

22 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The issue is what you mean by 'value'.  Pride Park was basically valued on what it would cost us to replace it (less wear and tear etc), which is absolutely a standard way of valuing things like stadiums.  And when you look at Brentford paying £70m for a much smaller stadium, and Brighton paying £93m for theirs a decade ago, ~£80m is not remotely a crazy valuation.

Obviously in other contexts 'value' might mean completely different things to different people.

Yeah, but it wasn't just that though was it? There was all putting a roof on it, having it as a venue to host concerts and events during the football season and planning for redevelopment of the east stand to include restaurants and shops and so on...

And the previous much lower valuation was only what 5/6 years out of date?

Like I said, I believe there was some cleverness went into it, but clever enough to hold water.

2 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

The issue is MM never actually paid for it.  If he had, this would not have happened.

6 minutes ago, roboto said:

He's checking contracts
He's checking it twice
He's gonna by DCFC
At the right price

Daaaaaaaavid Clowes is comin' to town
David Clowes is comin' to town

Better than Mariah Carey that! 

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I don’t think it quite worked like that because Mel had to ‘prove’ that it was a fair valuation (although I’m sure there were some financial shenanigans going on to inflate the value as much as possible to make sure it was high enough to sort out our problems).

shame it wasn't "high enough to sort out our problems"!  ?

8 hours ago, roboto said:

He's checking contracts
He's checking it twice
He's gonna by DCFC
At the right price

David Clowes is comin' to town

So, just another five months then

A highly regarded professional property valuation company with experience of valuing the stadium, arrived at two different valuations based on two different methods, both in the region of £80m. The IDC reviewed the valuation method an concluded that the valuation from JLL was actually towards the lower end of their valuation range.

It absolutely wasn't just financial gymnastics - it was a proper valuation done by a professional firm of property valuers.  If you want to see the maths of how the value was worked out, it's in the written reasons from the EFL Stadium hearing.

Like I said, 'value' can mean different things to different people.  In the context of a professional football club, the value of a stadium is in it's ability to host matches for the club.  So for things like insurance purposes, you need your stadium valued at what it would cost you to have a stadium to play in.  If Pride Park is valued at £20m, an insurance company is going to want to insure it for that. But if it was to burn down or whatever, £20m is no use when it's costing north of £70m nowadays to build a decent stadium.

But in the context of lending money to a financially struggling company, the 'value' of a stadium is what could be salvaged from it if the club was unable to repay the loan.  That's why MSD demanded additional guarantees to loan us ~£20m.  If we were to have gone bust, they didn't feel they could retrieve the full £20m from the stadium without a club to play there.

7 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

"What they can afford to lose" is difficult to establish remember at one point we all under the illusion that CK had £20+ million to buy our club.

It would be self regulating, if debts had to be covered by personal guarantees, then an owner would be personally liable, and they wouldn’t be able to walk away and leave the club with the debts. 

I’m not sure how it could be enforced, but it would stop this from happening again and again.

9 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

The value was what would  it cost to rebuild it, less depreciation, as GoC says. No financial gymnastics involved. DC has got a bargain on the stadium, not so much for the club, but the one deal is subsidising the other. I never understood why CK wanted the club but not the stadium, but then little about the CK deal made sense.