The Administration Thread

Boycie

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Kinda made this point a week or so ago, but in strict business terms derby has a very loyal fan base and can attract 20,000-30,000 to Pride Park (you’ll see the higher echelon of that with the Rooney factor). Any prospective owner should be looking to get every penny it can do out of that fanbase. Get more fans in early and staying later, family meal deals, better merch, decent local beer, early day ko’s on the screens, post match analysis after games.

The survival of Derby County isn’t about who has the most money, it’s who has the best business strategy to keep the club viable for many years to come. Ofcourse there’s more to it than this but it’s about using what’s available to you.

I like what Bristol do, live band stage and beer sales outside, we have the room to take it further, maybe a food court with something other than burger vans,  develop the bar at the back of the SS for instance with music or a screen, decent cover from the rain, seating and heaters, but most importantly, OUTSIDE TOILETS.

43 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Spurs also have a cheese room.  Turning up at a football ground to sample cheese. No thanks.  Those pubs in town rely on the match day trade greatly.  Staying in a pub till 2.40 and trying to get a Yellow taxi to get there by kick offs part of the fun.  If I take my nephews though, I get there in plenty of time.  At least for a few more years, till they take up the trying to get a yellow taxi  having been in the pubs in town till 2.40. And on we go in perpetuity. 

I get that, and do the same myself.

But why do we do that, it's surely not out of loyalty to pub company's and taxi firms, ahead of pumping that money into our own club.

We do it because the offering at the ground is poor, so there's no reason to turn up earlier than necessary.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Shall I let you into a secret? At least 50% of us do go to the stadium early and are bored rigid with the lack of atmosphere and decent facilities while we wait around for the drinkers to come and stand in front of us, push past after kick off and generally ruin the first 15 minutes of the game.

If I had my way, I'd make the buggers wait until an interval before allowing them up to their seats! 

And I used to love a coffee and cake before the game. I really miss the Backyard.

You make a good point, the offering has to be inclusive to all, none drinkers included. 

But you yourself admit you're bored rigid before the game, so what do we/they do to improve that?

1 minute ago, Rev said:

I get that, and do the same myself.

But why do we do that, it's surely not out of loyalty to pub company's and taxi firms, ahead of pumping that money into our own club.

We do it because the offering at the ground is poor, so there's no reason to turn up earlier than necessary.

Truthfully, I'm a creature of habit .  Its something I'll always do. Part of the nostalgia factor and as a city those pubs - bar the Wetherspoons which could probably get away with it- do need that match day money.  Probably why the councils interested in the ground .  No club equals a huge drop in rent to turnover business rates.  I can see the other side of it via dragging my nephews along to continue the next generation of forced misery, that more things to do might be good.  I guarantee if they opened a McDonalds Franchise and a proper chip shop somewhere round the stadium or in it they'd make a load of money before and after the game.  One for the kids and one for me turning up after a few beers. All those away fans who've travelled since 8 in the morning stuffing themselves with fish cakes.  Guaranteed winner. 

26 minutes ago, curb said:

I like what Bristol do, live band stage and beer sales outside, we have the room to take it further, maybe a food court with something other than burger vans,  develop the bar at the back of the SS for instance with music or a screen, decent cover from the rain, seating and heaters, but most importantly, OUTSIDE TOILETS.

They have no time for such fun surely.  They prefer to spend their time in a darkened basement studying our finances and working out hypothetical points deductions. Bet they pee in bottles and collect it as well, so forget the toilets and save on that 413k a week they're losing would be my advice.

My-whole-life-is-a-darkroom-GIF.gif

17 hours ago, Boycie said:

@Curtains I think your early idea to take a break was a good idea mate.

Check your blood pressure too?   stressing about others opinions on here won’t do you any good.

Also, any articles “dug up” on here will not scupper any deal. We aren’t that important.

The takeover will go through when the monies in the bank and the EFL’s satisfied.

Chill my friend.

Pull yourself together curtains. 

6 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Kinda made this point a week or so ago, but in strict business terms derby has a very loyal fan base and can attract 20,000-30,000 to Pride Park (you’ll see the higher echelon of that with the Rooney factor). Any prospective owner should be looking to get every penny it can do out of that fanbase. Get more fans in early and staying later, family meal deals, better merch, decent local beer, early day ko’s on the screens, post match analysis after games.

The survival of Derby County isn’t about who has the most money, it’s who has the best business strategy to keep the club viable for many years to come. Ofcourse there’s more to it than this but it’s about using what’s available to you.

Off the back of this discussion, I've  always thought were not very welcoming  for visiting supporters.  I know there are safety and security issues, but perhaps a fan park for visitors?  . You treat people like animals  you get animal behaviour IMO. Of course theres always a few idiots 

23 minutes ago, Rammiesdad said:

Off the back of this discussion, I've  always thought were not very welcoming  for visiting supporters.  I know there are safety and security issues, but perhaps a fan park for visitors?  . You treat people like animals  you get animal behaviour IMO. Of course theres always a few idiots 

and that`s why we get problems in Towns like Ripley and Alfreton on match days against the Sheffield Clubs, Leeds and some other Northern clubs. They drop off the A38 en-route and cause chaos.

9 hours ago, Rev said:

Who wants to go in early, queue up for  amazingly disappointing beverage/food, served by someone who either doesn't care or hasn't had training? 

Heres an idea, especially if we do end up with PP under council ownership.

They also own the velodrome next door, which I presume is empty on Weekend matchdays? 

Open it on matchdays as the fan park, whack a big screen in there showing the days early kick off, get @TomBustler1884 or someone else with experience involved in the food and drink offering, loads of independent food and drink offerings, the odd live band or DJ, before cutting to the RamsTV build up when appropriate. 

Lay on free buses from the City centre for the first few weeks, to get everyone on board, then stick with with it. 

We did something similar a few years back with the free buses, but without a reason to spend in the ground it soon fizzled out, give people a compelling reason to get there early and it may work.

Rev, seriously, someone needs to put this proposal forward. I think the council should lease the venue out to someone adventurous. 

Sorry if this has already been asked or answered - I can’t remember reading it anywhere but after administration, do current sponsorships/deals still exist or are they cancelled/renegotiated.

For example: will Umbro/32Red still be part of shirt design and sponsorship? I assume that any money amounting to the deals are payed season on season but what if 32Red have paid up front for say - 3 years? Can they claim money back as a creditor for services not rendered? Surely the new owner/board would want to negotiate their own deals but then Derby County are not a new company (just a new board) so are sponsorships still honoured?

7 hours ago, Rev said:

You make a good point, the offering has to be inclusive to all, none drinkers included. 

But you yourself admit you're bored rigid before the game, so what do we/they do to improve that?

To be honest, I am easily satisfied. A warm place to sit, drink and a snack, and to chat football is enough for me. B4 says Backyard is open again, I didn't know that, as it has always been shut before.

Inside ground, I would like more content on big screen, a couple of exclusive interviews or show the Rams TV build up on there. More competitions for kids and big kids, upgrades or hospitality. They used to move a family up to Directors Box at one time, that all stopped.

Daft games around pitch (I loved those silly fish things that ate each other!) or even a few fan interviews, an update from Derby County Community Trust initiatives, Jamie or Audrina and a drum solo from Punjabi Rams. Things like that can go on around perimeter without affecting players' warm up too much.

Just things that build the sense of it being 'our' club. I did think we'd lost that a bit, it all got too corporate before this crisis. 

3 minutes ago, Loftyhites said:

Sorry if this has already been asked or answered - I can’t remember reading it anywhere but after administration, do current sponsorships/deals still exist or are they cancelled/renegotiated.

For example: will Umbro/32Red still be part of shirt design and sponsorship? I assume that any money amounting to the deals are payed season on season but what if 32Red have paid up front for say - 3 years? Can they claim money back as a creditor for services not rendered? Surely the new owner/board would want to negotiate their own deals but then Derby County are not a new company (just a new board) so are sponsorships still honoured?

Won't that depend on how long contracts have to run? 

Kirchner mentioned being tied into Umbro when he answered a question about concept shirts, said he liked the idea of different kits, though.

As a parent who takes his kids usually- there is precious little reason to get there early.

Not much novelty stuff in the clubshop, just racks of over priced shirts. The pubs are spilling over with people and nothing is especially family orientated.

Little interaction before/half time and at full-time everyone streams off home. Food is all junk and there are massive queues at half time. 

Nothing that would make them want to go earlier or anything memorable or interesting outside of the game itself (occasionally). It is pretty sterile and totally relies on them liking football,  there is very little 'experience' or day out about it. 

Possibly it doesn't work as the majority just want to turn up and then get off home...but there is a hell of a lot that could be done to make it seem more of a family day out that's for sure.  

Edited by Chester40

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

As a parent who takes his kids usually- there is precious little reason to get there early.

Not much novelty stuff in the clubshop, just racks of over priced shirts. The pubs are spilling over with people and nothing is especially family orientated.

Little interaction before/half time and at full-time everyone streams off home. Food is all junk and their are massive queues at half time. 

Nothing that would make them want to go earlier or anything memorable or interesting outside of the game itself (occasionally). It is pretty sterile and totally relies on them liking football,  there is very little 'experience' or day out about it. 

Possibly it doesn't work as the majority just want to turn up and the get off...but there is a hell of a lot that could be done to make it seem more of a family day out that's for sure.  

I agree my boys are older now but still not at legal drinking age so what is there? And as we travel we do usually get there early as you have to build in contingency time. Lots of comments on here re drinking etc but if your family/circumstances/choice is not that it is woeful. As my teenagers say if there was even decent wifi they could at least be on their phones if early like the rest of the day!!!!

22 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I agree my boys are older now but still not at legal drinking age so what is there? And as we travel we do usually get there early as you have to build in contingency time. Lots of comments on here re drinking etc but if your family/circumstances/choice is not that it is woeful. As my teenagers say if there was even decent wifi they could at least be on their phones if early like the rest of the day!!!!

I sympathise with the WiFi comment. If we're at home I have to get my prediction in before I go anywhere near the ground, or no chance! 

Mel always used to say it was too expensive to get decent WiFi but I don't seem to have a problem with it at any away grounds, just Pride Park. Odd.

I don't think I have ever bought any food or drink at the ground in 30 years. It's overly priced, poor quality commercial food and drink. If there was a fan zone with Street Food and a range of beverage options, I would have. Agree with the comments about match day experience for families too, it's poor. 

Other sports do a much better job of giving people a reason to come early and stay later. I think the club needs to move away from the concept of making money from the fans to giving fans a fun day out. People will spend money if they're happy and having fun and be more inclined to tell their friends and come back.

All the suggestions would also help to build the atmosphere for when the match starts too. Get people in, build the buzz and when people filter into their seats, keep it simple and focus the energy on cheering on the team.

There's so much opportunity when you start to think about it.