The Administration Thread

Boycie

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

That link to what it costs Middlesbrough to run their club was rather frightening

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/money-go-hidden-costs-running-15860716

The costs didn't look that outrageous - it was £9m per year to run the stadium & staff plus £6m for the training facilities/academy

& that didn't include paying the players

If we are in League One based on those numbers we won't be playing in next season without a new owner even if the players play for nothing

£15m to run their stadium and training facility... more than their turnover ?

As things stand, we go into next season owning Bielik, Bird, Knight and Sibley. All four will be gone if relegated, whether that's because we need the money or simply because they're too good for that league. Rooney potentially leaving would bring in some compensation too. That'll more than cover any potential shortfall.

Relegation will cost us up to £10m in revenue:
    TV (PL funds) - £8.1m (17/18) vs £2.5m
    Match receipts - £9.1m (17/18) vs £7.5m
    Sponsorship - £5.0m (17/18) vs £3m
    Other - £7.4m (17/18)

In League 1, our operating costs will continue to be cut, but still retain Cat 1 status. None wage costs in 17/18 were about £22m. Of which, about £10m was for the academy and stadium. 

My initial guess is a £6m loss in L1.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

It doesn't break EFL rules so they are basically fine with clubs overspending  providing they have rich enough owners to keep putting in the dosh.

So much for a commitment to sustainability! 

Well quite. I thought the whole purpose was to stop clubs over-committing financially as the benefactor model = bad and unsustainable in their eyes. I suppose that the only bright side is that if we get an owner with a bit of budget to try and help along the rebuild of our woefully understrength squad then there is no reason that they can't do that as long as it isn't run up as debt per se.

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

It doesn't break EFL rules so they are basically fine with clubs overspending  providing they have rich enough owners to keep putting in the dosh.

I know jack about accounting but this seems as dodgy as what MM was up to. May be he needed a better accountant.

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

If we were still in administration why would the EFL loosen the strings, nothing has changed. They will be more concerned that we can prove financially we can complete next season. If the administrators can't prove that then we will be expelled from the league.

What is actually barmy is the EFL stopping us from renewing contracts of the younger players because if we did extend all of them and we went bust then the EFL gets to sell those same players which raises lots of money instead there is no one hardly to sell.

34 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't get it. I'm not as close to some as to the EFL's FFP rules. But how can a club with so much debt just be allowed to write it off? If that's fine under FFP, then surely all clubs with wealthy owners will be doing it? Why go to elaborate means of selling stadiums to yourself? 

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's just wrong. In fact it's nuts.

It's as though the FFP measures were just thrown together with very little thought about the consequences and repercussions.

EFL not fit for purpose.

10 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I don't get it. I'm not as close to some as to the EFL's FFP rules. But how can a club with so much debt just be allowed to write it off? If that's fine under FFP, then surely all clubs with wealthy owners will be doing it? Why go to elaborate means of selling stadiums to yourself? 

Writing off debt is a good thing from football perspective. This doesn't count towards P&S, with the exception of accounting for the maximum allowance per season (£39m over 3 years for most clubs, more for seasons in PL).

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

£15m to run their stadium and training facility... more than their turnover ?

As things stand, we go into next season owning Bielik, Bird, Knight and Sibley. All four will be gone if relegated, whether that's because we need the money or simply because they're too good for that league. Rooney potentially leaving would bring in some compensation too. That'll more than cover any potential shortfall.

Relegation will cost us up to £10m in revenue:
    TV (PL funds) - £8.1m (17/18) vs £2.5m
    Match receipts - £9.1m (17/18) vs £7.5m
    Sponsorship - £5.0m (17/18) vs £3m
    Other - £7.4m (17/18)

In League 1, our operating costs will continue to be cut, but still retain Cat 1 status. None wage costs in 17/18 were about £22m. Of which, about £10m was for the academy and stadium. 

My initial guess is a £6m loss in L1.

Don’t we still owe Arsenal £8m for Bielik?

18 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

As I understand it, FFP is all about profit and loss not assets and liabilities. So, you could have a massive debt but, provided you are able to service it, it's OK for FFP/P&S. Even better for FFP/P&S if the lender just writes it off.

With regard to selling the stadium to yourself, I guess the big difference between us and Stoke is that either their owners are far wealthier or far more generous that Mel. By buying the stadium owners still retain some kind of asset rather than just writing off a loan but, hasn't that loophole now been closed?

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

As I understand it, FFP is all about profit and loss not assets and liabilities. So, you could have a massive debt but, provided you are able to service it, it's OK for FFP/P&S. Even better for FFP/P&S if the lender just writes it off.

With regard to selling the stadium to yourself, I guess the big difference between us and Stoke is that either their owners are far wealthier or far more generous that Mel. By buying the stadium owners still retain some kind of asset rather than just writing off a loan but, hasn't that loophole now been closed?

Yes, Stoke did it just a few weeks before the change.

The woman who owns Bet365 is way, way wealthier than Mel. She's probably making money faster than she can spend it.

Mel was a comparative pauper.

31 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Don’t we still owe Arsenal £8m for Bielik?

No.

What we owe someone doesn't detract from us owning his registration, the same way you own your home even with a mortgage.

On the day we entered administration, we had £8.4m still to pay for the transfers of Bielik AND Jozwiak. At least £2.5m of this was Jozwiak, about £2m has apparently paid off for Bielik already, and some of the remaining £3.9m may actually be for performance related add-ons such as appearances or promotion.