The Administration Thread

Boycie

9 minutes ago, David said:

You didn't used to run a Chinese/Japanese translation service in a Magaluf tattoo parlour did you by a chance?

His reply to me on the proposals was:

"On the face of it this may offer a way through one part of the jam."

I fear your translation of this would be:

"The jam has fallen out of my doughnut and landed on my face."

So what does ‘on the face of it ‘ mean?? It’s surprisingly close to ‘if it’s doable’. 

7 minutes ago, NC--RAM said:

Sure i read somewhere that Q and the fans groups are meeting today (? whether the MP's?councillors too).

OR did i dream it?

Yep Q was meeting with the charter group at I want to say 4pm. Might be wrong on the timing. I don’t have much confidence we will learn much new. One of the B&W together people sounded really positive after the last one and said ‘this time next week we will know more’ that was like 3 weeks ago and of course no change. So sceptical of this one too. 

3 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

No it will be made up of senior judges who came through the giddy climb through the Bar to get there. For what it is worth, as a supporter of this club for 61 years, at this critical time, frankly I care much more about what Mel thinks than what you think. He is still in a position to help despite being largely responsible for taking us to where we are. You and I are not. I rest my case your Honour.

So they are barristers then.

7 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

All of this. Particually the point that MM needs to indemnify the club from the claims - that is the honourable thing for him to do.

Can he do that and at the same time have an open door to counter claim using courts of law to strip it all bare ? I don’t think he can underwrite / indemnify unless he can get the opportunity to put MBC in court to counter claim. It’s complicated .. and it is the EFL again who are complicating it. 

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Because the PL holds the purse strings 

So to use a phrase to cure it is easily doable!. Either religated clubs with parachute payments will be sanctioned if they make a loss or as I believe the EFL has a copy of contracts from the parachute payment subtract the wages drop written into contracts covering relegation and spread of that money equally around the other championship teams.

24 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

I think he knows full well that it won’t be feasible and even if it was, Boro and WW would reject it. Trying in vain to save what remains of his shattered reputation 

If it wasn’t feasible then why release a statement to the Press Association? It’s just making yourself look silly if it’s not feasible

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

If it wasn’t feasible then why release a statement to the Press Association? It’s just making yourself look silly if it’s not feasible

Well said

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Parry is not a lawyer. He wouldn’t mention doability if he hadn’t been advised by his legal outfit that the doability is highly questionable. This clash of the titans is about pride and vanity and MM needs to solve our problem not preen his image with these over blown self justificatory missives. They take days to write and time is against us 

Morris is not a lawyer. He wouldn’t offer it out to the Press Association if he hadn’t been advised by his legal outfit that it’s doability was doable.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well your  response raised a smile and I agree that many aspects the current regulatory system are a shambles. But on a more serious note,  just enlighten us please and explain what you think IS the purpose of those rules if it’s not what I described. Seriously ? 

Initially the purpose of the rules was probably as you describe, but that purpose got lost many years ago.

The notion that their current use / interpretation still subscribes to that ideal is continually eroded by their own actions and statements, and their complete incompetence in doing anything that ensures their supposed purpose is met.

The current purpose of the EFL rules is not the preservation of the league's integrity, structure etc, it's not the preservation of the clubs they hold as members; it is the preservation of themselves and their position, one which is becoming increasingly scrutinised, outmoded and under threat of a complete overhaul.

Simply put, they're on the defensive. You could see it written all over the face of Rick Parry when he did the staged interview with Sky Sports, every single thing he said was designed to cover the EFL's own backside, not accept responsibility and to muddy the waters in any way possible so that the casual onlooker wouldn't be able to see below the surface to where the real problem lies.

They're insular, they're being slowly backed into a corner and anyone who they see as a threat must be 'dealt with'. 

How they choose to deal with that is exactly as you've seen in their handling of the Derby case.

They've managed to write a set of rules which allow them absolute power; power to change their minds on decisions already made, power to make things up as they go along, power to interpret their rules in whichever way they see fit depending on which way the wind is blowing on that particular day.

They've got rules which allow them not to follow their rules! So in essence by not following their own rules they can point out to the fact that they are indeed following their own rules, because their rules say they don't necessarily have to follow their rules! Brilliant. Again, self preservation.

They use these interpretations of the rules they've ruled they don't have to follow to make threats to certain clubs and not others. Their threat of removing our golden share if we try to compromise the claims against us could just as easily have been a threat to remove Boro's golden share if they'd taken the legal action against the EFL that the EFL pushed onto us.

Interpretations of the rules not to their liking / benefit are to be disputed at great length until they finally get the result that they want. Even then they can't help themselves but be publicly disappointed that they didn't get the full result they were after. Never mind though because they can still enforce multiple restrictions that ultimately achieve the same thing.

Is it any wonder they're in a position where they have to put out a statement denying that they have a vendetta against a particular club?

An organisation fairly applying their rules in the interests of the league as a whole does none of the above.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Magistrates, magistrates clerks, judges, judges clerks, recorders, coroners, arbitrators, they can all make decisions influenced by statutory purpose. It’s why the law was changed some years ago to allow evidence of parliamentary debates to be admitted in legal proceedings -  so that the judge could be informed of parliament’s intention. I think our amortisation decision was probably wrong on a strict reading of the EFL rules but probably in line with the purpose of the rules  

You might have a point when it comes to sentencing btw 

It just isn't what happens in anything like the way you describe - and not just for sentencing. No magistrate ever says "Well the letter of the law says x but I'm finding you guilty because the intention of the law is y." And it doesn't happen in higher courts either. Yes, judges might consider the intention of the law if they need to resolve some tension or ambiguity, but that's a world away from using intention as a starting point, or ignoring the law, or "stretching" the law (your words), or simply inventing a law that doesn't exist. You should not (contra your example) be any more likely to be convicted if you are "a menace to public safety", and nor should you be. It might affect your sentence, and so it should. Both those things are entirely in accordance with the letter of the law. 

I'm baffled that you think this happens - do you perhaps live in Russia or China? - let alone that you think it's a fine and acceptable thing for courts (or the EFL) to do.