Christmas traditions

dog

Jim Reeves Christmas album whilst decorating the house
National Lampoon’s Christmas vacation 

It’s a wonderful life on Christmas eve

Traditions of certain food for certain meals

Christmas day afternoon walk round the village

i must have more…..

For the last decade, we have migrated to my daughter's house in Sheffield for Christmas Day, and one year in two we stay overnight. That's the case this year. I have to drive to Keynsham, pick my son up, he stays at our house for a couple of nights, then on to Sheffield for the main event. This year, there will be the occasional medicinal beverage.

After decades of having a rammed houseful every Boxing Day, for cold turkey, Hams, pickles, and real chips (the only time the chip pan comes out!), and lots of drink, games and laughter, I am now getting the horrible feeling that Christmas tradition in our house is rapidly becoming one of misery!  

Boxing Day 2019 cancelled due to my sister dying suddenly and unexpectedly 12 days prior, so we were all feeling sorry for ourselves.
Last year cancelled for Covid.

This year... 90 year old father in law was taken into hospital last Thursday evening, with low readings all round, and feeling "a bit under the weather"... all unexpected and out of the blue (despite his age and a triple heart by-pass 10 years ago!). 

Subsequently, there's been a lot of guesswork and head scratching going on, and lots of calls to various experts from various fields spread around the country.  The upshot being they are working towards it being Myasthenia Gravis*, but "with something else going on that we're still baffled about"!  ...And now there's talk of Sepsis too!
He's literally become a gibbering wreck in little more than 48hrs, with inconclusive MRI's, feeding tubes, drips everywhere, and bleepers going off from all directions... and a face that makes him look like he's done 25 rounds with whoever is the current heavyweight boxing champeen of the world!
The experts really aren't giving us much hope to cling to!

Muckerette was really struggling to cope, being the only allowed visitor, so much so, she wasn't strong enough to go and see him on Sunday.  But the wonderful caring folk at Derby Royal were generous enough to allow her "a carer" yesterday... Me!  
Hopefully, it'll be the same again later today, so at least she doesn't have to suffer alone.

It's beginning to look a lot like... another utterly miserable Christmas, and a third consecutive cancelled Boxing Day! ?

Season of Joy?  Utter baalocks!  

*No.  We neither!  We had to Google it! 

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Wow, feeling a little sad, after reading some of the replies. Was just gonna say, bacon butties in birds cobs, before prezzies. 

You might need to do a delivery service. Love and kindness needed by some posters on here.

Christmas can be a miserable time for some and that’s why I think it’s important that those of us who can enjoy the experience should do so with gusto and without cynicism.

Carpe Diem.

15 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

After decades of having a rammed houseful every Boxing Day, for cold turkey, Hams, pickles, and real chips (the only time the chip pan comes out!), and lots of drink, games and laughter, I am now getting the horrible feeling that Christmas tradition in our house is rapidly becoming one of misery!  

Boxing Day 2019 cancelled due to my sister dying suddenly and unexpectedly 12 days prior, so we were all feeling sorry for ourselves.
Last year cancelled for Covid.

This year... 90 year old father in law was taken into hospital last Thursday evening, with low readings all round, and feeling "a bit under the weather"... all unexpected and out of the blue (despite his age and a triple heart by-pass 10 years ago!). 

Subsequently, there's been a lot of guesswork and head scratching going on, and lots of calls to various experts from various fields spread around the country.  The upshot being they are working towards it being Myasthenia Gravis*, but "with something else going on that we're still baffled about"!  ...And now there's talk of Sepsis too!
He's literally become a gibbering wreck in little more than 48hrs, with inconclusive MRI's, feeding tubes, drips everywhere, and bleepers going off from all directions... and a face that makes him look like he's done 25 rounds with whoever is the current heavyweight boxing champeen of the world!
The experts really aren't giving us much hope to cling to!

Muckerette was really struggling to cope, being the only allowed visitor, so much so, she wasn't strong enough to go and see him on Sunday.  But the wonderful caring folk at Derby Royal were generous enough to allow her "a carer" yesterday... Me!  
Hopefully, it'll be the same again later today, so at least she doesn't have to suffer alone.

It's beginning to look a lot like... another utterly miserable Christmas, and a third consecutive cancelled Boxing Day! ?

Season of Joy?  Utter baalocks!  

*No.  We neither!  We had to Google it! 

Gosh that sounds really tough. Group hugs needed.

Awaiting a family member's covid test results. So we may be back to spending Christmas day the same way as last year. Watching through a window as the grandchildren open their Christmas presents. Then heading home to have lunch without them and the rest of the family.

Defiantly don't want this becoming a family tradition at Christmas.