Christmas traditions

dog

Sadly not surprising that this time of year is not all peace and joy for some, as evidenced when reading some of the comments. My prayer for you all is that you would find some comfort this year.

For us, with 3 small children running around, it’s presents and breakfast, then a trip to the park for some carols (local Salvation Army band playing) then lunch, movies and chocolate. We have lots more in the build up to the day. 

12 midnight asleep, Wake around 2-30am for the old man p iss, Back to sleep, Wake up at 6am ish, Bathroom, Brush teath, Open the blinds in bedroom and living room and kitchen,TV on, Computer on then kettle on, Coffee sit down and check emails, Channel hop until I see sumat that I want to watch.

8am off out for a run...5 miles which takes around 45mins, Back home shower n shave.

9am ish breakfast, Anything from cereal to toast, Might watch sumat that i've taped(I don't have a VHS or Betamax video recorder...I still say taped when I have Sky)Dinner around 1pm ish...planning a Chicken Dinner if I can be arsed could just as easily be beens on toast.

More TV until around 6pm ish then tea time, Sandwiches, Yogurt and a biscuit.

Bed around 10-11pm

All the above I enjoy, Being single after 45 years of Marriage has made me see what I am capable of doing, And to quote Kevin Keegan

"I love it...just love it"

23 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Is there an accompanying sleigh? 

I’ll be going to Foxhouse Boxing Day or somewhere round there,you’re more than welcome.

And it’s a cart,they are known for pulling them but I’ve not been allowed to get one.

Edited by Coneheadjohn

Daft Christmas Eve tradition, my kids both now at college, are still insisting on driving around looking at Christmas lights, probably have something like Heart Christmas on the radio, listening to cheesy Christmas songs. Go down the local to finish the evening.

Christmas Day, the youngest insists we have a made up quiz ,he’s been doing them for years, they last too long, cause real competitive urges, lightened only by grandparents having a reaction from too many Brussels sprouts. Once that’s over we usually pile everything into the dish washer, occasionally stand outside listening to how quiet it is and generally get well oiled; more so if no one has to drive for a Boxing Day game.

Sometimes I remember the fun I had as kid, board games past midnight, relatives getting sozzled and hope in years to come my kids will think the same. Christmas, New Years Eve are the 2 nights I tend to think of past family, so I do my best to create memories, even if they’re full of excess.

Sad to read some comments, wish happiness to others.

Edited by Zag zig

On 20/12/2021 at 11:51, Mostyn6 said:

Feeling lonely, miserable, isolated and the general feeling that I’m missing the things that people with close-family enjoy. That’s traditional. 

Best wishes to you Mostyn.

Get yourself out for a good walk early doors mate, it would be great if you spotted an abandoned sofa and get it posted on here ?.

Xmas Eve: make a minestrone (I'm a superb cook, honest!). Follow Santa's progress on NASA website. Visit local pub and maybe midnight mass (although I may still be on the church-watch register)

Xmas Day: Santa's presents. Poached egg, salmon and cream cheese bagels. Family presents. Dinner with home made crackers (think I once put diamond ear rings in as the gift). Queens speech (everyone stands for NA). Games and party food.

Boxing Day: Everyone gets each other a gift costing £1

Films: Its a wonderful life, A Christmas Carol, Black Mirror White Christmas

Carols: God Rest You Merry Gentlemen

Despite my age, Xmas is still magical for me, I'm very lucky and know that alot of others are not.

On 21/12/2021 at 08:40, Mucker1884 said:

After decades of having a rammed houseful every Boxing Day, for cold turkey, Hams, pickles, and real chips (the only time the chip pan comes out!), and lots of drink, games and laughter, I am now getting the horrible feeling that Christmas tradition in our house is rapidly becoming one of misery!  

Boxing Day 2019 cancelled due to my sister dying suddenly and unexpectedly 12 days prior, so we were all feeling sorry for ourselves.
Last year cancelled for Covid.

This year... 90 year old father in law was taken into hospital last Thursday evening, with low readings all round, and feeling "a bit under the weather"... all unexpected and out of the blue (despite his age and a triple heart by-pass 10 years ago!). 

Subsequently, there's been a lot of guesswork and head scratching going on, and lots of calls to various experts from various fields spread around the country.  The upshot being they are working towards it being Myasthenia Gravis*, but "with something else going on that we're still baffled about"!  ...And now there's talk of Sepsis too!
He's literally become a gibbering wreck in little more than 48hrs, with inconclusive MRI's, feeding tubes, drips everywhere, and bleepers going off from all directions... and a face that makes him look like he's done 25 rounds with whoever is the current heavyweight boxing champeen of the world!
The experts really aren't giving us much hope to cling to!

Muckerette was really struggling to cope, being the only allowed visitor, so much so, she wasn't strong enough to go and see him on Sunday.  But the wonderful caring folk at Derby Royal were generous enough to allow her "a carer" yesterday... Me!  
Hopefully, it'll be the same again later today, so at least she doesn't have to suffer alone.

It's beginning to look a lot like... another utterly miserable Christmas, and a third consecutive cancelled Boxing Day! ?

Season of Joy?  Utter baalocks!  

*No.  We neither!  We had to Google it! 

Many thanks for the tears and kind words folks.  And sincere apologies for the out of character negativity!

Not wishing to tempt fate, but since my post above, we’ve had more positives than negatives, and thought it only fair to share… Seeing as it’s the season of joy and goodwill, and all that…

Turns out that whatever it was, it led to him contracting Sepsis, which is poo in its own right, but in theory at least, he’s now on the mend, and past the worst!  
Still “very poorly” and there’s a long road to recovery ahead. Still on a feeding tube, with the odd spoon of custard, orange juice & the like. (He even managed a sip from a cup yesterday, all on his own… slow and shaky, but never spilt a drop, including picking up and replacing his cup on his table. That brought smiles all round!). He’s expected to stay in a while, But he’s fully conscious, albeit drowsy/sleepy. He knows who we are, and aside from a little confusion over the most recent events, he doesn’t appear to have mislaid any of his marbles!  The facial swellings have gone down, and they’ve given him a shave (He was beginning to look a lot like Santa!)
The hospital are still allowing us both to visit together (daily covid tests before we go) and we’re continuing to go for the allowed 1 hour every day, as his sole nominated visitors, so we’ve cancelled all other plans (Christmas Day Lunch at son’s, Boxing Day shenanigans at ours, The WBA game, and our 5 night New Year camping trip in The Lakes) in an attempt to keep ourselves isolated and covid-free). We’re going nowhere, and seeing nobody, for the foreseeable. If we fail, he’ll get no visitors at all!

Today is hospital to see him, cemetery to see the mother in law, and Heritage Woods to see how much our granddaughter’s dedicated tree has grown (she was only with us for an hour, bless her). 
The latter two are now Christmas traditions anyway, so deserve a mention here, I guess!)

Compared to normal, we’re still pretty miserable(!) and totally shattered, if truth be told, but compared to the start of this week, we are floating on cloud nine!  For now at least, we are counting our blessings, and I truly hope each and every one of you are able to do the same.

Share, care, and be there!  Christmas, but with a catchy covid-like slogan!  ?

A Merry Christmas to you all, bottoms up, chins up, and Up The ducking Rams. 
xxx

??

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Many thanks for the tears and kind words folks.  And sincere apologies for the out of character negativity!

Not wishing to tempt fate, but since my post above, we’ve had more positives than negatives, and thought it only fair to share… Seeing as it’s the season of joy and goodwill, and all that…

Turns out that whatever it was, it led to him contracting Sepsis, which is poo in its own right, but in theory at least, he’s now on the mend, and past the worst!  
Still “very poorly” and there’s a long road to recovery ahead. Still on a feeding tube, with the odd spoon of custard, orange juice & the like. (He even managed a sip from a cup yesterday, all on his own… slow and shaky, but never spilt a drop, including picking up and replacing his cup on his table. That brought smiles all round!). He’s expected to stay in a while, But he’s fully conscious, albeit drowsy/sleepy. He knows who we are, and aside from a little confusion over the most recent events, he doesn’t appear to have mislaid any of his marbles!  The facial swellings have gone down, and they’ve given him a shave (He was beginning to look a lot like Santa!)
The hospital are still allowing us both to visit together (daily covid tests before we go) and we’re continuing to go for the allowed 1 hour every day, as his sole nominated visitors, so we’ve cancelled all other plans (Christmas Day Lunch at son’s, Boxing Day shenanigans at ours, The WBA game, and our 5 night New Year camping trip in The Lakes) in an attempt to keep ourselves isolated and covid-free). We’re going nowhere, and seeing nobody, for the foreseeable. If we fail, he’ll get no visitors at all!

Today is hospital to see him, cemetery to see the mother in law, and Heritage Woods to see how much our granddaughter’s dedicated tree has grown (she was only with us for an hour, bless her). 
The latter two are now Christmas traditions anyway, so deserve a mention here, I guess!)

Compared to normal, we’re still pretty miserable(!) and totally shattered, if truth be told, but compared to the start of this week, we are floating on cloud nine!  For now at least, we are counting our blessings, and I truly hope each and every one of you are able to do the same.

Share, care, and be there!  Christmas, but with a catchy covid-like slogan!  ?

A Merry Christmas to you all, bottoms up, chins up, and Up The ducking Rams. 
xxx

??

That tree idea is lovely.

Merry Christmas Mucker.