End Parachute Money

Macintosh

Seeing as the EFL, PL etc., are ignoring the fact that the rest of the clubs in the Championship are only there to make up numbers, could supporters' groups from this division take their own action as a fan demonstration. No away support at Fulham, Bournemouth, WBA and Sheffield United? Like many, I was disgusted with the price increase by Sheffield United, but if jointly all away supporters boycotted their grounds and even limited the number of tickets allocated for them when they play away, that may be a start of a message clubs aren't going to stand for this any more?

But promoted clubs need to spend to compete in the PL. If they got relegated into the Championship in their first PL season and didn't have parachute payments they'd be stuck with a bunch of players on high wages and got out of business.

The source of the problem is the Premier Leagues never ending greed and 'profit above all else nature'. Football died in England in 1992.

4 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Why not simply divide the Parachute money equaly between the Championship clubs!! 

The Premier League teams vote for the Parachute payments, Ans will carry on doing so, There will be no sharing of monies IMO, Why would the Norwichs and WBAs, Fulhams, Bournmouths of this world deny themselves a huge advantage to get promoted in the 1st/2nd year of relegation, How many years do they get this loot...3/4 years?

There's Turkey farms in the UK and all the ballot papers have been returned without an X to see if they want to involved this Xmas.

Probably a PL2 is the best answer with 18 PL1 and 20 PL2 making PL2 packed with more “big” clubs and thus more marketable.

Relegation to EFL as usual but financial gulf between between PL2 and Champ reduced with no parachute payments but financial support for all EFL clubs from the now more profitable PL.

13 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Probably a PL2 is the best answer with 18 PL1 and 20 PL2 making PL2 packed with more “big” clubs and thus more marketable.

Relegation to EFL as usual but financial gulf between between PL2 and Champ reduced with no parachute payments but financial support for all EFL clubs from the now more profitable PL.

And if you're not deemed big enough? That's it, you're out forever? 

Edited by angieram
If not of

43 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

But promoted clubs need to spend to compete in the PL. If they got relegated into the Championship in their first PL season and didn't have parachute payments they'd be stuck with a bunch of players on high wages and got out of business.

The source of the problem is the Premier Leagues never ending greed and 'profit above all else nature'. Football died in England in 1992.

I don't think anyone would argue if these teams were given a helping hand, maybe the difference between the highest wages paid by a team in the Championship and what they are going to have to pay. But a team like Norwich, their wage bill was one of the lowest after relegation, smaller than ours, they also sold two players for a lot of dosh. The £42.6m parachute payment totally covered all of Watford's wages and double what Bournemouth required, it was triple Norwich wages cost. It would be fair if Norwich and Bournemouth were given nothing, and Watford around £20m, a sliding scale of what is needed, and paid at the end of the season. The rest of the £365m divided equally to all teams in the Championship, around £15m each, then you have a competitive league at last.

The £34.9m second payment again covers all of Bournemouth's wages for this season with £15m to be added to the £25m they didn't need the previous season.

Callum Wilson sold by Bournemouth to Newcastle for £20m, Aaron Ramsdale to Sheffield United for £18m. Nathan Aké for £40m. Not sure how much for Harry Arter, Josh King and Dan Gosling. Total £78m

Jamal Lewis to Newcastle £15m, Ben Godfrey to Everton £20m. Total £35m

Pervis Estupiñán to Villarreal £15m, Abdoulaye Doucouré to Everton £20m, Luis Suárez to Granada £10m, Gerard Deulofeu for £17m, a few other deals difficult to work out because they were to parent clubs in Spain. Total £62m

Parachute payments have long since outlived their original purpose, i.e. to act as a financial safety net for relegated clubs to be able to continue to pay expensive players' wages and any outstanding transfer fee installments from their time in the Premier League. Instead, they've simply become a war chest for relegated clubs to buy and pay players far beyond the reach of other Championship clubs, thereby gaining a significant advantage. Personally, I'd either:

a) - Scrap them and just pool the combined money to be shared out throughout the EFL. If relegated clubs can't afford to pay players, that's their own fault, just like any other Championship club. 

b) - If the principle of financial support for relegated clubs is maintained, the money should be held centrally by an independent body and money only released on a monthly basis for the sole purpose of paying existing outgoings such as players wages and transfer fee installments. New players and their wages would have to be paid for by the relegated club themselves, not by the fund (again, like any other Championship club).

You simply can't have any form of financial fair play whilst allowing some clubs to receive massive payouts from a third party (i.e. the Premier League); it's a contradiction in terms.

1 hour ago, Philmycock said:

Far too sensible

In these days day of fairness and transparency ? the sharing of the Parachute payment would provide both, it would be a shame to ban Parachute payment and loose the money.

I do agree that sharing of the Parachute payment should be filed into the same folder as World Peace, a Cure for the common cold, the EFL being an effective and diligent body and the cutting of CO2 emissions ...................never really going to happen, lots of talk................. but little action. 

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Why not simply divide the Parachute money equaly between the Championship clubs!! 

I assume, for the very simple reason, that parachute payments aren’t intended as a handout to the championship as a whole but designed to prevent relegated clubs from getting into serious financial difficulty because they now have championship income but premier league wages.

I agree the system is flawed but I’m not sure what the answer is. 

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Just insert relegation clauses into players contracts. There you go i've solved the problem for you.

i have for long said a PL 2 is needed, there is just too much of a financial difference between the championship / premier league and there is too many teams in this division as it is. 

the removal of parachute payments won't change the huge financial gap, a new division with better tv rights and a bigger spread of the share WILL reduce the gap and reduce the amount of teams willing to gamble with the club like Mel has done.

for me this is the only easy answer. The answer isnt take money off X club, the problem will always be there one way or another with a huge drop off in income with relegation.